Melb - Longreach - Rockhampton - Bundaberg

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 07:18
ThreadID: 68304 Views:2729 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Leaving Melb. in a few days, and heading north for a few months.
Heading to - Bourke, Cunnamulla, Yowah, Charleville, Blackall, Longreach, Emerald / Rubyvale Area, Rockhampton and Bundaberg.
I have all the usual maps, tourist info, Camps Aust wide etc. etc.
Just wondering if anyone has any places "not to be missed", great camp sites, good fishing spots, etc., in the above area, that they would like to share ?
Thanks in advance
Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 07:38

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 07:38
From personal experience I would give a miss to any eating establishment in Cunnamulla. No I did not get sick, just experienced the lack of any quality in the food at the pubs and 'cafe'.
AnswerID: 361989

Reply By: Member - julie S (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:53

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:53
My recommendation would be to stay at the Ilfracombe CP just
27 kms from Long Reach. It is a family ran CP and they are so friendly and have great Happy Hours. We stayed last year for 5 nights and travelled into Long Reach for any sightseeing
Julie
AnswerID: 362001

Follow Up By: Racey - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:10

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:10
When you get to Longreach stay at the waterhole which is about 4 klms out off the Mt Isa road. It's safe to leave your van there whilst sight seeing. We stayed 4 nights. You will meet a few like minded people. Call into the info centre in Longreach and get a local map. If you have camps 4/5 ( a must) it is shown on that plus many more places along the way. We did that trip 12 months ago and in that time stayed most of the time "on the road".

Griffith show grounds $20, a few things to see around Griffith. Just as you come into Cobar there is a wide parking area on the LHS pull over to the left and be prepared to share with the road trains during th e night. You will meet a great bunch of guys gong about their business. You can spend the day in Cobar without any problems.
When you get to Bourke go through Bourke there is a nice caravan park about 5 klms out of town; I think it was called Coachman.
Our next stay-over was about 28klms south of Barcaldine.

After leaving Longreach checkout the Faiburn Dam caravan park, it's a beauty. After Rocky we went to Port Macquarie via Brisbane via Warick Tenterfield and Armadale. The drive from Armadale to Port Macquarie is a beaut. Bend downs to 25kph.

You will have great trip just don't rush it enjoy the scenery and the people.

Cheers

Racey
FollowupID: 629878

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:54

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:54
Plenty of yellowbelly at the broadwater bush camp at Muttaburra , must be fully self sufficient though , still no fuel available and no shop in town , bread @ post office - milk @ pub ,, nearest fuel is Aramac 86klm or Longreach 120 klm on the dirt.
AnswerID: 362002

Reply By: Member - Rob - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:04

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:04
Nothing to share other than to say have a great trip. We are heading off in about 4 weeks for a couple of months and heading north. I will keep my eyes open for you.
Rob
AnswerID: 362017

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 13:23

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 13:23
Elliot Heads CP near Bundy. Patrolled beach, quiet, river for swimming if you don't want surf and good fishing. 15 Min from Bundy.

Mum and Dad just spent 2 weeks there and liked it.

Elliot Heads Holiday Park

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 362039

Reply By: Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:03

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:03
We have just come home from doing that exact trip you are about to do. Lake Cargellico the first night, and then straight onto Charleville for the second night. A must if you stay at Charleville is the Evening Star caravan Park. It is 8km's out of Charleville on the Longreach side, turn left onto the Adavale Road. Ph(07) 4654 2430, It is actually a 33,000 acre working cattle station, and the owners are just tremendous people. They opened one of their paddocks and turned it into a caravan park. all the sites are drive through, beautiful grassed areas for every site, with a row of trees dividing each site, and the amenities are so spotless. They are an ensuite idea with toilet shower and hand basin in each room. I don't think I have seen a park so well laid out and the sites cater from tents to camper trailers to mobile homes and buses.they have a huge camp fire pit and logs to sit on, and the work they have put in is tremendous. It is only 18 months or so old, and it is out of town a bit, but so peaceful at night. Owners, Peta and Justin, are always in for a great chat as well. Give them a go if you are up there, you wont be sorry. And by the way, Charleville hospital is great as well. While we were there I fell out of our camper trailer and broke my elbow in 2 places. The hospital was so goo to us, and the doc even rang twice after we left to see how I was coping with the rest of the travelling. You don't get that with city doctors.
Karen ......

http://www.eveningstar.com.au/

AnswerID: 362123

Sponsored Links