Cape York trip in a Lexus ???

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 01:59
ThreadID: 68339 Views:4025 Replies:13 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have this quandary !!

My daughter's retired father-in-law ex-Sydney wants to travel to the Tip for an adventure trip!

He has purchased a Lexus something or other 4WD.
I know nowt of this vehicle other than it costs lots of $$$$$'s.

Question: Is it an appropriate vehicle to ' do the Cape ?'

Question : Is it an appropriate vehicle to do 'Cairns to Weipa ? '

There are other "perception issues" with his proposal, of course, but the 'vehicle suitability' is obviously the primary issue.
Lots of other factors need fine-tuning .... but later !!

appropriate comments would be appreciated here ......

thanks Pedro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 07:19

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 07:19
dont they also have a soft roader....not having been to those places I have no idea if a soft roader would get there....but imagine the Lexus (100 series?) will
AnswerID: 362173

Reply By: donks1 - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 07:30

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 07:30
When I was up there in '06, we saw an older couple at Bramwell Roadhouse, towing a "lightweight van" behind a Mercedes ML320.
We had a bit of a chuckle at the thought of doing it in "that" vehicle.
They were on their way back down the Cape.
Mind you that was June '06, after the two cyclones earlier in the year. In June the roads had just been graded and in parts was better than driving around Sydney.
So the answer is yes it can be done, if you stick to the PDR. and the road to Weipa was like a highway. All depends om the road conditions at the time.

The Lexus may be a RX300 (soft roader) may struggle a bit more than a 100 series equivelant, but could do it in the right conditions.
There is someone else on here planning to do it this year in an X-Trail. Wouldn't be my first choice, but with care and preparation should be OK

Donks1
AnswerID: 362176

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 07:52

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 07:52
What Lexus is it.
I think the LX470 or LX570 is just a luxury version of the Landcruiser Sahara and would have similar capabilities.
AnswerID: 362181

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:00

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:00
Friends travelled the Bloomfield track about a month ago when there was a fair bit of water around.

They have one of those Lexus Hybrid cross over electric thingies, went through creeks with 600 or so mm, no problem.
He did comment that he wondered if he would get electrocuted lol.

The wider issue is that a lot of people think you need a rough as guts military/agricutural 4WD to go bush. It's simply not the case.

Many luxury 4WD are extraordinarily capable off road vehicles.
Range Rover, Porsche, Lexus, Discovery. Even so called soft roaders will surprise as to where they will go.
Mercedes Benz (they build the Unimog abd also own Styer-Puch)

Plenty of poeple did (me amonst them) go bush in 2WD Holdens etc and still do.

Message here is don't let perceptions spoil a good trip.
AnswerID: 362183

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:02

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:02
Hi Pedro, If they stay on the main road and there is little or no water in the fords they will have no problem at all. On the main road there a few concrete bottom forwards that may well be bone dry and there is a vehicle ferry on the Wenlock River. I think their biggest problem will be hoons in 4x4's with a tinnie on top (and probably towing a camper trailer) trying to break the sound barrier. These vehicles will be showering a heap of stones over other road users as they pass.

AnswerID: 362185

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:08

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:08
Ooops, back-up , put brain into gear and make that the Jardine not the Wenlock. When were you last up that way ? From your photos you have some knowledge of the roads.
FollowupID: 629950

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:29

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:29
Yep, mate .... I'm a Weipa local !

The roads and conditions I know well .... it's the vehicle that I know little about !
FollowupID: 629991

Reply By: Brian Purdue - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:04

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:04
In times gone by, I drove a Range Rover and went many places that were "difficult" to say the least. Just take it easy and if in doubt walk the suspect stretch before takling it. If you feel you cannot make it go a different way.
Many the time people have asked me "How did you get here in that?"
ThiMk before you act.
AnswerID: 362186

Follow Up By: stevesub - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:27

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:27
We had the same comments when we had a Freelander before the Rangie.

Great Soft offroader that to went many many hard places in New Zealand, been floated down the Dart river in New Zealand, etc. Pity about the complete and utter lack of reliability.

Stevesub
FollowupID: 629954

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:52

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:52
Hi Brian, Dont know about the latest batch but, from my own experiences and those of mates, found the Rangies from the 70's, 80's and 90's to be hard core off-roaders.

If anything stopped a rangie it also stopped the Nissans and Toyotas.

These days every manufacturer is producing great cars and I generally make a mess in my pants when I see them go by...lol. But, in their drive to produce more efficient, comfortable, techno loaded vehicles they seem to have compromised some off-road abillity.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers......Lionel.
FollowupID: 629957

Reply By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:21

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:21
As already mentioned....if it is a LX470 or LX570, it will go anywhere a stock LC100 or LC200 will go. I don't think I would do it in a Lexus RX330 though.

And incidentally, Range Rovers and Landrover Discos are every bit as capable off road..(without getting into the reliability debate), as any Landcruiser or Patrol.

AnswerID: 362189

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:11

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:11
Both Mike Smith and Roger Smith had a little bit of racing success in their respective Range Rovers, although they did take the carpets and stereo out.

I suspect their cars would get to tip and back OK. As you say it's a perception thing.

AnswerID: 362196

Follow Up By: dact - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 16:40

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 16:40
LOL...knowing the Smiths, as we do, I'm sure they and the rangies have no trouble going anywhere.

If they could figure a way to make the rangies float, they'd cross the pacific ocean.

Cheers
Terry & Amanda
FollowupID: 630027

Reply By: craig2 - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:14

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:14
we were up there last year and we saw a ML320 and a Lexus both towing 20ft caravans, the roads were dry BUT shook the crap out of the our cars. The main road was very slow (40km/h) from Bramwell Station down was all good (80km/h), but that was last year. Would no doubt have to be the worst road I've ever driven on. I wouldn't even think about taking it on the Telegraph track unless you want some good scratches on it some of the river crossing are pretty chewed up now the easiest crossing we came across was the Gunshot the worst one was the first river crossing from Bramwell Station.
AnswerID: 362197

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:34

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:34
"some of the river crossing are pretty chewed up now the easiest crossing we came across was the Gunshot the worst one was the first river crossing from Bramwell Station."

Craig
I think you may have meant that to be the other way round.
FollowupID: 629964

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:56

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:56
August last yr the first crossing nth from Bramwell on the OTL was the worst ,Gunshot in comparison was a breeze as 1 entry from the sth and a choice of 3 exits on the nth side,,,,
FollowupID: 629969

Follow Up By: craig2 - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 14:05

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 14:05
The true gunshot has been dug out so it is virtually a straight 8ft drop. They have made another one just to the right of that which was quite easy, but the very first crossing from Bramwell was a shocker. It looked like about 20 cars had tried to get up the southern side and gutted it out so much I almost ripped my back bar off going down the drop. This was by far the most technical crossing we came across. Out of the 6 cars we had, we all agreed the gunshot was bleep easy and the first crossing was the hardest.
FollowupID: 630009

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (Malanda - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 15:57

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 15:57
Craig - The PDR? "Would no doubt have to be the worst road I've ever driven on" :-). The PDR is a highway these days, its great compared to others in the area. As the year rolls on I would always say that the Battlecamp Road (Hopevale Rd to Old Laura) would win that award hands down for that area.

I agree with Axle below. Just drive carefully. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 630021

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:37

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:37
Misconception after misconception ,, you get it here and on other forums on a regular basis , ,,, "can a [ insert vehicle] go to the cape ect" ,,, YES of bl--dy course they can , No its not a four lane freeway but any mechanicaly sound vehicle be it a hard core 4x4 or a T-model ford can get to the " Tip" and to Weipa ,, 50% of local cars in Weipa and in Bamaga are what ?? Normal everyday vehicles !!! How did they get there ?? They were driven there !! Fair enough you would not want to take a non 4wheel drive on the OTL but for crying out loud there is no way that a Nissotoyo with a 6in lift and 37 in tires ect ect is a requirement to go to the Cape in the dry season.
AnswerID: 362213

Reply By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:18

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:18
Gidday

Thank you Axel for your wisdom.

Slightly OT but i was walking through the shopping centre car park the other day when a GYM was loading shopping and toddlers into her Lexus RX330. Just as i got there she pressed the button on the remote hatch closer and walked off to check her kids. Not having seen one working before I couldn't supress a laugh. She flashed me a Miss Universe smile and said "I just love it."

Cheers
AnswerID: 362235

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 18:52

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 18:52
Really the first question to answer is which Lexus. If it is the RX330 then its a possible but it will be a different vehicle by the time it gets back. As well it is not hard core but if you want to dirve the main roads then with decent tyres it will actually do it.

If it is the Lexus version of the LC200 then not a problem at all. Again with decent tyres that's really the only general requirement BUT and a big but is that as long as they stay on the main roads. If they want to go CREB track, gunshot etc then definitely a snorkel and diff breathers and a proper 4WD training course is a must.

We've got subaru's across the Simpson so with the right skills, preparation and leadership then it is not really an issue.

As you have stated there is a lot of fine tuning required and the devil is always in the detail

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 362307

Reply By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 17:58

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 17:58
Many thanks to all for the responses ....lots of good info, generally ......

Have now discovered that said vehicle is a LEXUS Model 350 Sports 4WD !

Which still means nowt to me .... please advise ??

What can they do ....... or not do ??
AnswerID: 364869

Sponsored Links