Nissans

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:06
ThreadID: 6837 Views:1889 Replies:14 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I'm in the market for a new vehicle and am amazed at the number of posts on this site telling of Nissan problems. Do I cross them off my list? Are they really that bad?? Are there a lot of "Nissan Knockers" on this site? Just try scrolling down and you'll see what I mean ....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: simon - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:11

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:11
Bob you there were problems with the early 3L units but from what i understand 2002 models onward are fine.
If you have a choice the 4.2L any year model is the pick of the bunch in my opinion.
I dont want to start another war but unless you are only touring i would not touch 4WD with a IFS
AnswerID: 29164

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:43

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:43
OH, WHAT A FEELING !!!
AnswerID: 29170

Reply By: Member - Bill- Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:49

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:49
No, no and yes.

Tall poppy syndrome in reverse. There just HAS to be a reason why they appear such good bang for the buck doesn't there! Can't be true can it!

Nissan has responsed well to early teething problems with ZD30 (which unfortunately seems to afflict most new models nowdays). Come in the water's fine.Regds

Bill
AnswerID: 29171

Reply By: Mikef_Patrol - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 12:30

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 12:30
Hi all

We have a 2002 3.0L and are very happy with it. It towed our 1300KG loaded Dove fine and will tow our new 1650KG loaded Windsor Rapid fine as well.

There were some probs with the early 3.0L motors, but as Roly pointed out on the Patrol forum earlier today, Nissan are now coming to the party on the earlier 3.0L engines. They even have long motors in stock. All covered even if warranty has expired aparently.

The GU 3.0L and 4.2L both use the same gearbox, and they were known to have a 5th gear problem up to, but not including 1/11/2001. Not all vehicles were showing this fault either, just depended on usage I believe. This was also covered in and out of warranty I believe.

Other than that, a series 3 or 4, 3.0L or 4.2L will be a good buy. We would have bought the 4.2 if we could have justified the extra $6K, but the budget didn't stretch that far at the time.

I'm sure the above facts are correct, but if not, i'm sure someone will tell me.
My 2c worth.
MikeF
AnswerID: 29178

Reply By: nrb1748 - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:29

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:29
I have a 2000 3.0 TD GUII with low km's. No problems - great economy - great towing vehicle.
AnswerID: 29194

Follow Up By: JohnZA - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 12:13

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 12:13
i 'll buying a 4.2TDi or 3.0TDi next month, i'm leaning towards the 4.2TDi as i've been told it is a better engine for towing. i'll be towing about 1600kg (boat). You say the 3.0TDi is a great towing vehicle, what weight are you towing??
FollowupID: 21869

Follow Up By: nrb1748 - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:57

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:57
JohnZA,

Apologies for the delay in replying - been away with the Patrol and caravan.

The van is a 16ft pop top which I have not weighed but I expect would be about 1250kg loaded. For your interest, fuel consumption over 4000 kms of towing ranged between 13.0 and 13.4 litres per 100km (21mpg in the old terms). Trip was Vic to Qld (Sunshine Coast) via the Newell Hwy and return via the coast, Sydney and the Hume Hwy. The Patrol has manual transmission.

Hope this helps.
FollowupID: 22649

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:33

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:33
Bob, don't be put off by these reports. Apart from anything else it appears Nissan owners are more willing to admit to and discuss problems, though every make has similar stories to tell.

Do you have prior experience with other 4x4 makes? What do you want the new vehicle to be - primarily an on-road vehicle, or a dedicated, balls'n'all 4x4, or somewhere in between?

Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 29198

Reply By: Member - Roger - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 18:01

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 18:01
HI all
Yes us Nissan owners do have probs but so do the others just that they are not as honest as us,
I have a 4.2 and tow a 1.8t van ok but do not use 5th gear when towing.
90.000ks and still ok. Touch wood.
RegardsDodg
AnswerID: 29234

Follow Up By: Bob - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 19:59

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 19:59
Roger thanks ..... that's the sort of thing that bothers me though ... a known fault which worries you enough to have to stay in 4th gear. Travelling at the speed limit in 4th is not my idea of comfortable travelling. Thanks again for your info.
FollowupID: 20360

Follow Up By: Member - Roger - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:41

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:41
Hi Bob
The diff when towing in 4th is approx .7 ltr/100 more as against 5th. Also being in 4th the vehicle is able to tackle most inclines without needing to go down a cog, makes life just that much easier when on cruise control. (Aftermarket)
REgardsDodg
FollowupID: 20450

Follow Up By: David N. - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:52

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:52
"Never tow in 5th gear"
Roger- You've been a bit mislead by the problem with most other makes -and a problem in the 5th gear for a SHORT period of time in GU's. A gearbox rebuild is cheaper than an engine anyway.

Don't know when yours was built- but if it is in the affected period it will fail eventually whether you use it towing or not. Your engine puts out a certain amount of torque which is there whether you are towing 3 tonnes on the flat or not towing and driving up a bit of a hill.
There was a machining problem for a short time in 5th gear splines, which did not exist in earlier gearboxes and does not exist in current ones.
I have been nearly always towing heavy trailers and 'vans right up to the legal limit in my GQ TD42 and ALWAYS use 5th gear. I also towed a 2.8 tonne trailer sailer many klms too- which probably weiged a lot more when fully provisioned! Gearbox is as good as the day it was built. The Nissan gearbox (TD42 and 3.0 litre diesel) is built like a brick ####house and is the best in the business. They are as close as you can get to indestructible!
-Have just driven from Melbourne to Brisbane (towing) via the Newell and Patrols towing (mostly 3.0 litre diesels) outnumbered anything else about 5 to 1! (my wife counted them to help with her boredom. Never saw one with a bonnet up or spoke to anyone who didn't love theirs)
My only decision when I buy a new one eventually is whether to go for another 4.2 or the latest 3.0 turbo diesel???
What problems have I had with my 4.2 in 13 years??
1. The clock loses its time regularly
2.That's all!!!!! there aint no more. It is the most reliable vehicle I have had- ever- and by a huge margain.
FollowupID: 20507

Follow Up By: Member - Roger - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:48

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:48
Thanks David N,
Thanks for the info, so far each time I have checked the gearbox plug there has been only the usual microscopic gunk, just enough to see on the finger. This is about the same as I have found on the other tow vehicles I have owned. I cetainly hope that my gu does as good as your vehicle. By the way this one has towed around the block crossing the Gib R. rd and the inland routes of OZ.
It,s bin to the Cape but not towing and also to the Taz remote areas.
So far in 90k my only trouble has been 2 bad lots of fuel, one here in my home town Dubbo and the other at Derby.
If someone could tell me how to insert a drain in the main tank without taking the dam thing out it would be much appreciated.
As you are aware the 4.2 GU loves running between 2200 & 2500 revs and this suits 4th when towing as I only poke along at 90 to 95 k's mostly 93 when unacompanied by other travellers.
RegardsDodg
FollowupID: 20569

Reply By: Mick - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 20:06

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 20:06
Thanks all for your help. I think the replies basically confirm the feelings I had already. There's plenty of problems when owners actually report them. Many people overlook or make excuses for problems with their vehicles - probably something to do with admission of a poor choice. Thanks again and I think I get the general message.
AnswerID: 29248

Reply By: Eric ( Melb.) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 08:28

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 08:28
Nothing wrong with Nissans , try and avoid the 2.8 TD
AnswerID: 29285

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:51

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:51
Can't help smiling here!...... Nothing wrong with the Nissans provided you don't buy a 2.8 TD, provided you watch out for earlier model 3.0 TDs, provided you don't use fifth gear (etc), and provided you can trust the car company to come to the warranty party.... nothing to worry about indeed! Reminds me of running along the grass beside suburban footpaths trying to dodge the many piles of doggy do - you're fine as long as you don't step in any, but you probably will sometime if there's enough.... Now that I've upset all you one-eyed Nissanites, Toyotas also have problems....sometimes.Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 20402

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 13:14

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 13:14
Russel
having owned 2 Toyota's & 2 Nissan
all of which i have held onto for around 6 years i would have to say that the nissan stacks up mechanicly far better than the toyota
eg.
hilux 1981 replaced
4 motors
1 gear box
2 diffs
2 hubs
cv jionts
tail shafts front & rear
hand break to many times to recall
constant fuel problems
3 fuel pumps

hj 75 ute 1989
1 diff
fuel pimp over haulgh x 2
gear box
clutch
master cylinder
handbreak

nissan patrol 1989
fuel pump seal due to the lowwering of sulfer in deisel
clutch

In total i would have spent thousands on keeping my toyotas on the road
where as my nissan cost me a total of $750 above normal service cost in 6 years , so dont think toyota drivers can claim to be any better off than nissan drivers, just less likly to admitt that they have problems as well
regards Bruce

FollowupID: 20418

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 14:06

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 14:06
Yeah, yeah, I know. Just couldn't help myself, and I knew I'd get a bite from someone! I'd be happy to own either make, provided it was the right vehicle. There are a lot of other makes I wouldn't even consider - Holden, Mitsubishi, Land Rover etc - for various reasons.Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 20421

Follow Up By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:34

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:34
"There are a lot of other makes I wouldn't even consider - Holden, Mitsubishi, Land Rover etc - for various reasons."

Oh to live in a fool's paradise!

YMMV"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 20428

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:06

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:06
Russell,
you own a car that is a direct copy of the Pajero's design, but 'wouldn't even consider' the original? Bob
FollowupID: 20440

Follow Up By: Wombat2 - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:22

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:22
Does making a vehicle of the same size constitute a COPY? Prado is so much superior that it could in no way be called a copy. Just check on how many acres of Pajeros Mitsubishi have waiting to be sold and then check how long you need to wait to get a Prado and it will be clear to you. Mind you I do think Pajero is far better than Disco or Pathfinder. There's your bit of education regarding the car game for today Bob.
FollowupID: 20446

Follow Up By: Wombat3 - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:24

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:24
I suppose you think that Toyota copied Landrover in the early 60s too and once again Toyota is far superior.
FollowupID: 20447

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:39

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 19:39
The original Prado was pretty much a copy of the Pajero. The current model is completely different (bigger/bigger engine/not monocoque). I don't know how many Prados (even the name is a copy) or Pajeros are unsold. What I do know is that sales figures are a poor indicator of quality - driving around I see thousands of cars that I would consider to be dogs, and often much smaller numbers of superior machines. I'd be interested to know which 4WDs you have owned on which to base your claims to be so informed - just a Prado I'll bet :-) I won't bad mouth the Prado, as I have had never been in one. I have travelled extensivley in Jackeroo, Pajeros, Landcruisers, Landrovers, Lexus all of which have been reliable competent vehicles. Is the Prado 'so much superior' to all of those? Or is that because you happen to own one that makes it superior?Bob
FollowupID: 20449

Reply By: simon - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 10:34

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 10:34
Hi Bob i have a GU 4.2L and it is great, the best 4WD i have had too date

Prev to this a had a GQ which was almost as good as the GU except that i had a petrol and it was thristy i would still have the GQ except somebody decided that wanted it more than me!!

The first 4wd i had was a Jackeroo and it was great to drive on road but just about every time i took it off road "med" terrain it broke a drivers side cv joint after 6 times of this happening i said f@#k it and brought the nissan it also hated water.

At work we run a fleet of 4wd utes and the absolute worst to date has been a dual cab hilux spends more time getting fixed then in the feild.

I know you asked about nissan's but on a resent club trip we had a new 100 series and a 6 mth old hilux we had not even reached "med" 4wd terrain we were still on dirt tracks just a few steep climbs most drivers were in 2wd
the 100 series broke the front cv and diff and the hilux done a diff
No one can explain this as it chould only be described as easy terrain
"TOY"ota also had no comments but in their defence we called them while in the bush(newcastle/cessnock area) and they had 2 flat bed trucks meet us at the end of the track and towed the offending 4wds back to their workshop.

So you can see most makes have faults but you asked about nissans
the biggest fault i have with my GU is the bloody front cup holders are next to useless as they are not hight enough to hold cups properly when it gets a bit bumpy

my 2 cents
AnswerID: 29296

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:46

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:46
"it appears Nissan owners are more willing to admit to and discuss problems"

"Yes us Nissan owners do have probs but so do the others just that they are not as honest as us"

Now iv heard every thing !

What, are we Toyota drivers to prowd to admit our vehicals having trouble too ?
I doubt thats the case, its either more people drive Nissans or they have more trouble.
I once saw on another 4wd forum that "Nissan problems" came in at no# 8 in the top ten most talked about subjects so your guess is as good as mine!

Don't get me wrong, i think Nissans are great vehicals too but just doubt the above statements are true.

Kev.
AnswerID: 29303

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:53

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:53
Jeez guys, and to think I thought Patrols and Cruisers were the pinnacle of engineering brillance, never broke down could climb brick walls and float on water.

You can all come out of the closet now. Rush down and trade your monsters in for
a UTEHooroo
AnswerID: 29314

Reply By: peck - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 18:40

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 18:40
I've had both Nissan & Toyota. True they both break. BUT!!!! the Toyota takes much longer 150,000 km to 65,00 km AND!!! the problems are nowhere as serious AND!!!! Toyota is at least willing to offer some support. Nissan just tell you "sorry the vehicle was not used correctly, GO AWAY AND DON'T BOTHER US" whether it was or wasn't leaving you to prove otherwise.
AnswerID: 29481

Reply By: JohnZA - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 22:22

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 22:22
if i paid for an over-priced ($72K+) vehicle (GXL TD4.2) i would'nt be telling others about the problems i get as well :)

"oh what a feeling" it must be when a nissan patrol pulls you out of trouble TOYOS :) i've lost count how many times i've done that and you should see the look on their faces :)
AnswerID: 30831

Sponsored Links