Caravan Shows... $$$

Submitted: Friday, May 01, 2009 at 22:20
ThreadID: 68434 Views:2803 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Noticed the Melb caravan and camping show is on soon and saw the entry prices. $16 an adult (kids under 15 free with an adult) plus $6 to park the car if you can't get there before 11am. Am I alone thinking that is getting ridiculous? $32-$38 for a couple to go and look at stuff they are trying to sell you! Maybe ok if you're in the market to buy something substantial but to just go for a look-see it's a bit rich IMO.

thoughts?

Cheers, Nige
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 22:32

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 22:32
and as long as we all keep going and paying the $$$$ they'll keep putting up their prices.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 362708

Reply By: Tim - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 04:24

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 04:24
And when it comes to 4WD stuff they see you coming too sometimes. Do your research and don't get ripped off!
Tim
AnswerID: 362728

Reply By: tonbon - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 06:36

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 06:36
Hi all, its not all bad. Before the Sydney show i was doing a tonne of research on suspension, cut a long story short, decided on TJM full heavy duty kit inc. leafs all round, shocks, bushes, u-bolts, greasable pins, shackles, steering damper, the whole lot. Pre show i was quoted $2300, a couple of months later, go to the show, get a quote on the same gear and i'm down to $1850. Now the cynic in me might say they puffed their pricing pre-show, but that seems like a rather big gamble given all other quotes i got were cheaper. Anyway, that's my little bit.

Tony.
AnswerID: 362729

Reply By: landed eagle - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 08:20

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 08:20
I wish it was only going to cost me 30 odd bucks to go. Airfare from tassie and accommodation for three days ,footy tickets ,food, wifes shopping spree.....................etc,etc. Wish I could just get in the car,train or tram to get there.

It would cost more than 30 bucks to drive around every exhibitors showroom to view all the products anyway.
AnswerID: 362741

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:25

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:25
Just a short note on getting there, for interstate visitors - the train from the city is so easy ! Stops right by Caulfield and Sandown showgrounds used for these expo's. We trammed it to the city from our northern caravan park, then the train.....love the public transport over there :-o)
AnswerID: 362749

Reply By: PradOz - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:36

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:36
IMHO sometimes people look for something to whinge about - if you dont like it dont go. Same principle applies to footy matches here, they are all different prices to go see same teams playing. You would think the entry price into the ground alone would be same everywhere, but no they aren't. So instead of whinging about it I just dont go to those who IMHO rip me off.

I have experieced significant savings by going to these shows before when i have done my homework on something i wanted. I am pretty sure it would cost you a lot more in dollars and time to jump in your car and drive around to each manufacturer to see all you will see in the one day at the show. And i am yet to see anyone ever go to one of these shows and only go up to one manufacturer just for a look see and then leave, so i am betting you will spend the day looking at most if not all of the new vans, 4wds and accessories and then just maybe come up with an idea or two for yourself. Just my humble opinion - hope it dont offend anyone
AnswerID: 362752

Follow Up By: Ray - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 13:08

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 13:08
I don't go. Why should I pay to go in so that I can spend more money. The same applies to the Royal shows
FollowupID: 630449

Reply By: Roughasguts - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 15:34

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 15:34
I know why it costs so much but the organisers also make good money out of it, and don't do much else for the rest of the year.

EG" this is over 10 years ago a hall in darling harbour was 10K a day plus power, plus cleaning plus security and plus alll the hire equiptment, and that is carpet squares partitions tables chairs audio, video Etc. Plus other sundry staff electritions, stall builders riggers you name it they got it, then insurances advertising, and the like.

Now these stands you might get 300 of them in one hall at D/H they would then cost the individual exhibitor about 3K each for the duration of the show.

So you can see big money! but big overheads as well.
AnswerID: 362800

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 17:22

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 17:22
At Caulfield, I reckon $3k would just buy you enough space to fit a doughnut van!
FollowupID: 630474

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 16:29

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 16:29
The recent Caravan /4x4 / Camping Show,on the GoldCoast wasn't to bad, you still had to pay a entree fee, and the exhibtors paid for the sites, but I understand either the SES and the Surf Life Saving received a donation from the entree fee.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 362805

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 16:34

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 16:34
Yeh spell check (entry) not entree, dah.
FollowupID: 630472

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 17:07

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 17:07
Having been an Event Organiser I know a little of what goes into producing a show like this and take it from me it is not all beer and skittles.
Firstly the venue wants a slice up front because they own the place and expect that you should do your bit to pay the rates etc.

Next the Public Liability Insurance can send you broke. For my show (no animals. No motorvehicles) we were required to have $50m cover and that's not cheap.

Next comes the advertising. The staffing (gates/cleaners/security)

Telephones. Stationery.

If you have the site fees too high the exhibitors don't come and without them the show is a flop.

Mine was an annual event and the planning was about two years ahead of the event.

I haven't been to the Melbourne show so I can't comment on the value for money. Brisbane is usually a good day out and if you have been around the traps for a while you just never know who you might meet.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 362811

Reply By: HGMonaro - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 10:49

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 10:49
"the value for money"

That's the kicker I guess... @ $16 I don't see the 'value' to browse with no intention to buy anything. The 'van' sellers won't care someone like me isn't there but the accessories people just might miss out on an impulse buy or two.

We did buy our camper at the show a couple of years ago and got some benefit (it included a show special that was a useful addition and I would have ordered it anyway, so a real saving rather than just more junk you wouldn't have bought otherwise)

thanks for the discussion... even the nasty ones!
AnswerID: 363308

Sponsored Links