Road Sign Vandals

Submitted: Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:51
ThreadID: 68439 Views:2786 Replies:17 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
While travelling through South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales last week we were struck by the wanton vandalism on road signs. Signs were mainly written with Graffiti signatures. Along the Freeway near Palm Beach where lengths of wall have been painted with designs the Graffiti bugs have defaced that as well and also other places and business premises up and down the Gold Coast. I read in a local rag of gangs of youths causing havoc along the northen NSW Coast during school holiday times. Requests for more police presence seemed to have fallen on deaf ears. And they still think that locking spraycans up in retail outlets works?...lol

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:15

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:15
Yes Willem, the rule makers have got 2..... one on the forehead.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 362758

Reply By: Ozboc - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:29

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:29
There was something on today tonight about grafiti vandals --- one was caught and sent to jail for almost 1 year

When TT asked train users what they thought of the sentence - ALL of them basically said -- its not long enough ...

I Agree

Boc
AnswerID: 362760

Reply By: CLC50 (QLD ) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:31

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:31
Well as we all know the good to shoes ,have stopped the rod in schools & thepolice can"t kick the little S%$^ up the bum & send them home to dad & get some of more of the same.These days some mum 's & Dad's complained to the courts & the police are the one's in trouble.or the kids complain to the courts & parent & police are both in trouble

What has happen to our Australia. I got the rod & kicked up the bum a few times ,which I needed ,It hurt at the time & worst from Dad.
But I believe it did me a lot of good .When Dad spoke I did not back answer or I got some more
AnswerID: 362761

Reply By: blue one - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:39

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:39
What ever happened to the age old Australian tradition of just shooting the signs. Those signs are very dangerous, don't go near them without a weapon.

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 362765

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 14:46

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 14:46
John Winston Howard
and he's gun laws.. LOL
FollowupID: 630460

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:02

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:02
stupid parents raising stupid kids.
No law or punishment will stop that, only smarter society who offers more to the kids, not money or more to consume: something to do and recognition.
have fun
gmd
AnswerID: 362768

Follow Up By: tonbon - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 07:10

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 07:10
Couldn't agree more gmd, and thats no more prevalent than in our outback and city (think Redfern in Sydney) aboriginal communities. As a society, we failed them.

Tony.
FollowupID: 630522

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:04

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:04
Hi Willem,
The worlds a changin, and for the worst.
We spent Good Friday night, Easter Saturday night/Easter Sunday morning listening to drunken youths fighting, screaming and smashing glass out side the pub across the road from the caravan park we stayed at. Not only were our kids woken by this, but many other families suffered the same. One young woman was screaming , laying on the ground yelling all the foulest language. It is the last time we shall visit there. We told management of the park that we would not be returning, and their response was to give me an envelope addressed to the local council and tell them of our compliant. They told us that they had a meeting with the local police and council to voice their concerns and your right Willem it did fall on deaf ears. Several business owners also told of the same story.
I believe the coppers are so stretched and this kind of crime does not rate high on the list anymore. And when they do catch somebody in the act, arrest and it goes to court, some smart lawyer gets them off on a technicality and they walk free or with a slap on the wrist. So therefore the police don't arrest because they know they wont get a conviction and it's been a waste of police time and resources.

True but sad Willem

AnswerID: 362769

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:14

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:14
Driving along a local road recently and saw a couple of Police officers standing next to a box that houses the traffic signal gear. As I got closer I saw a young guy wearing a hi-viz vest down on his knees and holding a scrubbing brush & bucket of water. Everyone who passed gave a couple of toots and the thumbs up to the Cops. Best bit of PR that the local Cops have had in a long time.

AnswerID: 362772

Reply By: Patrol22 - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:17

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:17
Noting much has changed since I was a boy back in the '50s really. I recall there was always some who thought gouging smart alec remarks into the desk tops at school, or in park furniture or in/on anything publicly owned. Today it is just far more visible as we are far more mobile and we get to see the extent of the damage on TV. Don't condone it in any way but I doubt there is a cure other than ensuring that those who are caught not only pay for any damage but also get sufficient weekend detention to ensure they are the ones that have to clean up where that is possible.
Afterthought: Graffiti has probably been around as long as mankind really.....some of it good, some pretty ordinary and some trash. Remember the cityscape of today is nothing other than the caves of yesterday.
AnswerID: 362773

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:21

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:21
Yep, some guy even carved his initials on Chambers Pillar back in 1870. People photograph that graffiti these days :-))

FollowupID: 630441

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 12:09

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 12:09
I thought it was 1860??

Back then though it would not have even been considered vandalism.

People who deliberately vandalise signs these days know they are doing wrong - that is why they look back every 10 seconds, to make sure nobody is looking...

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 630446

Reply By: Stu-k - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:29

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:29
They just run over all the street signs in my area, so the council put up new ones and they run them over again.
What a waste of money!
You would think they would move the signs onto power poles, with any luck they will try and run those down to.
AnswerID: 362775

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (Malanda - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:30

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:30
Having been replacing signs for the last 4 years I can also tell you it costs the rate payers a lot of money. Each regulatory sign costs $250 to install and &150 to repair. We no sooner put up new signs an idiots use them as target practice and throw bottles at them while driving. Larger Advisory signs are $1000 + Dollars.

The other thing is the idiots that like to take out a row of Guide posts that cost $45 each to install.

Guess they have no brains so not sure what you can do Willem. :-) Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 362776

Follow Up By: tim_c - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 13:10

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 13:10
The guide post problem has an easy fix - just replace every fifth one with one of those old concrete ones... :)
FollowupID: 630781

Reply By: Ray - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 12:55

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 12:55
I don't call it graffiti I call it baby painting. Perhaps if everybody called it that it may deter these people.
One of the biggest problems that we have is that there are too many do gooders about. Parents aren't even allowed to whack their kids these days. I may be wrong but most of this vandalism started when the cane was withdrawn from the schools and as one person stated the coppers get frustrated with the revolving door justice that we have.
When I was a kid we wouldn't dare to answer back our parents or school teacher and as one person stated the coppers would give you a belting if you were cult doing anything wrong.
I also think that publishing these things on television inspires the vandals to out do one another.
AnswerID: 362786

Follow Up By: Ray - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 13:04

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 13:04
Would also believe that any body when committing a crime should have all their rights taken away so if colt and the victim has the right to defend their selves and their property and beat the s*** out of the perpetrator
FollowupID: 630448

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 13:10

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 13:10
Ray I agree, maybe they should be Named and Shamed, and made to clean up their vandalism, you allways see the blurred faces of these idiot morons on TV when they get caught ect, my opinion if they are teenagers or older throw the book at them.
FollowupID: 630451

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 14:01

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 14:01
Guys, What's changed over the years is the Happy Clappers and Do Gooders have had gutless pollies change the laws and the Magistrates feel sorry for the poor souls.
The other problem is our Jails are full. So they are given softer sentencing.
EG, Reading the Northern Star while on holidays, A young bloke goes DUI 0.15 I think it was, plus a string of other charge and he is a reap offender and hasn't had a job for five odd years . He gets 18 months loss of license, 2 year suspended sentence, $3000.00 fine. He applies for Legal Aid and appeals his conviction on the grounds that he is unemployed and could not possibly pay back a fine of that size. Another Magistrate, says that his unemployment was not taken into account and reduces it to a $600.00 fine, to be paid back when he finds full time employment, 9 months loss of license, and no recorded conviction.

What The?
What kind of message does this send to others. Make out your the one that is hard done by and some bleeding heart some where will listen to you and feel sorry for you.

I reckon bring in the idea of Road Gangs. When they are sentenced to hard labour, make it Bloody Hard for them so they think twice before doing it again. Make them walk the roads and clean up the rubbish, remove the Graffiti, fix the signs. Take away their pay TV and all their cushy living inside the Big House.
Image Could Not Be Found
And dressem in Pink.

It's Saturday Arvo, I will put my soap box

away for now and go and get a beer :)
FollowupID: 630456

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 15:46

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 15:46
Bring back the Stock in the middle of the city.

Better still bring back the Gallows.

Cheers.....Lionel.
AnswerID: 362801

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 16:06

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 16:06
Putting stickers on signs is just as bad!
AnswerID: 362802

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 16:53

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 16:53
Willem,

Certainly increased Police presence helps, but it is a hard crime to stop even with Police everywhere. These sort of topics always seem to bring out the 'bring back flogging' crowd which might be nice in some circumstances, but like it or not, its not the answer to the problem, because it isn't going to happen.

Fortunately, rather than lamenting the passing of the 'good old days', there are a number of groups taking practical action; with good results in some cases.

Foster/Tuncurry

Newcastle

Many of these programs involve the culprits in helping to clean up as well. Not so much to demean or shame them, but to show them first hand the disruption, effort and cost they have caused.

It is an ugly crime for sure, but any worse than the ramifications of speeding? Or drink driving? Don't see too many of us who have ever been caught speeding suggesting we should be locked up in stocks, flogged or chained to a road gang.

Matt.
AnswerID: 362810

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 17:33

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 17:33
There you go....well said Matt.
FollowupID: 630477

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 18:30

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 18:30
I think that when they catch the graffiti vandals, if they have a car, get them to spray graffiti all over their own car.
Then they can see how much inconvenience and cost it is to get it fixed.
If they haven't got a car, take them home to their own house and get them to graffiti all the fences and walls on their own house.
Humiliate them with their own stupidity.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 630482

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 17:42

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 17:42
maybe they should lock up the youth in retail outlets Willem
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 362821

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 18:23

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 18:23
Here is a silly idea, Make people pay for their crimes against society, I mean really pay for it.
You are responsible for your own actions.
I know I am responsible for my actions. I make decisions, choices and I live with them, good or bad.
So why aren't others? Why has everybody got an excuse for what they have done? It's not my fault, I didn't mean to do it. it's because my father beat me as a kid, It's because the teachers punished me for being disruptive.
It's all down hill, hang on and try to enjoy the ride.l
AnswerID: 362833

Reply By: Holden4th - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 18:37

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 18:37
A number of years ago my flatmates and I caught a couple of fools spraying our front fence with their cans. In a vigilante action we grabbed both of them and their cans, removed some of their clothing and sprayed: their nether regions, their scalp hair, their faces and their lower legs with what remained of the enamel based paint. We then tossed them back onto the street after writing on them with permanent marker "I am a Graffiti Artist!!!"

Hopefully it was an object lesson. We could have beaten the living daylights out of them but thought that this was a more fitting response. Think about the clean up job they would have been required to do on themselves!
AnswerID: 362836

Follow Up By: Member - Bluemetaldaisy (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 11:45

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 11:45
I suppose, then, they learned the valuable lesson that "Grime doesn't pay"!
FollowupID: 630549

Sponsored Links