This could happen to you

Submitted: Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 20:26
ThreadID: 68454 Views:4511 Replies:17 FollowUps:62
This Thread has been Archived
My mate just come round to pick up a light i borrowed off him before he heads off tomorrow. He told me what happened to him this morning.
As i said he is off tomorrow for two weeks of vanning an the Eyre peninsula. He went to the servo to fill up and check tyres ext. and whilel filling up a car comes in on the far side of the van so the vans between them and where you pay. He didn't think anything of it,paid for his fuel and went on to the next place. While he was getting his gas done at the gas refill place up the road he gets a call from his wife. She asked him if he had driven off without paying for his petrol, She thought he could have forgot with trying to get everything done. no why he said, She replies, I have four police officers here in two cars saying that you did a drive off. Well he was quite taken back, Thinking, would you do a drive off with a 18 foot van on the back, don't think so. Anyway he spoke to the police and told them he would be there in about 20min and he had a receipt for the petrol, and would show them when he got there. but they wanted to know where he was and told him to stay there, we are coming straight there.
His wife was very up set as your guilty straight away and there attitude was far from professional she said. He said they came in to where he was and basically accused him of the drive off when he had already told them he had a receipt. Lucky for him he had paid by credit card and kept it but how many people don't keep them while traveling around.
So I think the person who did it seen an opportunity when they seen the van blocking the view of the console operator.
So I would say BE WARNED, keep those receipts.

Now this made me think about the other side of what happened.
Two police cars, four police officers to get back $150.00 for fuel or the person that drove off owing the money.I'm in Business also and would love to be able to ring the local copper when someone does not pay me, I'm a small business and need all the help i can get,.
These are companies with no end to their money and could afford to have someone else to chase up their money just like i have to when I don't get paid.Not the local police when they are already stretched to the limit.
cheers

shane.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 20:35

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 20:35
shane
What a nerve, A: Buy the thieves. B: Buy the coppers.

Police response times are P155 poor for assaults and other crime, but a multi national, multi billion dollar, company has political clout that gets them such service buy the police, that STINKS.
Colin.
AnswerID: 362853

Follow Up By: Member - Dave G (QLD) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:31

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:31
Something like that happened to me a few years ago, my mate and I filled up at Goulburn fixed up the bill and drove off, that night we got a call from our boss while we staying at a hotel in Goulburn, "Why didn't you pay the bill for the petrol? We did said us.

Next morning met the coppers at the Petrol station and after about half and hour they took the guy from the petrol station away and charged him for Larceny as a Servant, You see he did similar he took the cash from the next car and told the coppers it was us that took off, his problem was that my mate and I are coppers and were on duty on a special job in a covert car.
FollowupID: 630502

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 12:59

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 12:59
Multi billion dollar company with political clout?

Probably a franchisee running his own business.

Why not look at it from another perspective.

What if you called the Police and told them a thief had just loaded your TV and washing machine into a vehicle which you could describe and provide the rego number to boot?

More than likely the police would be waiting at his home when he turned up.

It's not police "collecting" unpaid money, its about responding to a theft where the perp can , in most cases be identified. Unfortunately there are occasions when the complainant "jumps the gun" and gets it wrong.

Ian
FollowupID: 630560

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:43

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:43
yes police response time ... I had an incident a few months back where the mother of my child - her sister and mother( grandmother) turned up at my house at 8 PM screaming at me - and generally harassing me - and the kids - and refused to get of my property -- took the police almost 2 hours to get there ( police station in less than 5 min away)

how do they work out the priority ?

Boc
FollowupID: 630665

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:21

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:21
Ian W (NSW)
Yes I have called the police, and from personal experience I would say, the officers put their hands in the air and say there is not much we can do about it and you had better not ruffle feathers of your neighbours.

That may be read as, "too much paper work here, lets talk him out of it". The court took a different veiw and reprimanded the police. But unless you do their job for them they are sometimes too lazy or too busy to do any checking or basic police work. Dont read this as typical of the police, but it happens.

That was over a violent physical attack on my daughter buy a not too distant neighbours son, with 3 witnesses, times and dates etc etc. And that was after a 3 hour delay from incident to arrival of police.

Therefor a $150 theft WITHOUT PROOF as they got it totally wrong, AND handled the affair with "attitude" according to the post, within a few minutes, seem to me to be wrong. In this case money seems to talk louder than violence did in mine.

This guy was innocent, but the police thought they had him dead to rights and he was an easy mark, not too much police work in that wouldnt you say. They thought it an easy bust.

And why 4 men to talk to one, "Yet To Be Proven" offender that clearly stated he could prove his innocence, was in my opinion, over the top and a bit gung ho.
JMHO
Cheers Colin.
FollowupID: 630680

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:27

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:27
Ian W (NSW)

"What if you called the Police and told them a thief had just loaded your TV and washing machine into a vehicle which you could describe and provide the rego number to boot?

More than likely the police would be waiting at his home when he turned up"

Most likeley not, because a "real" criminal would NOT use his own car, rather a stolen one, and the innocent owner of that stolen car would be having to "prove his innocence" to police that had done little or no checking and assume rather than know, just like this poor bugger did.
JMHO. Colin.
FollowupID: 630683

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 01:30

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 01:30
O.K, O.K!

I've got it wrong!

The police have it wrong.

Ian
FollowupID: 630903

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 20:47

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 20:47
Hi Shane,

A good post to show what can and does happen.

Just one thing mate. I think you're a little unkind to the Petrol Station owner.

Many of them, like you, are small business operators operating on a small profit margin. Few, if any of them would be reimbursed by the fuel companies for losses due to drive through's I would think.

Our local "family business" outlet has had to resort to half their bowser's requiring prepayment before the operator will activate the pump. Bloody inconvenient for us honest people but I recognise the necessity all the same.

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 362854

Follow Up By: Member - shane (SA) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:55

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:55
yes agree with you, and it is dam annoying when you have to prepay but i understand why.
I was just annoying about the police collecting moneys owed.
My local BP is prepay after 10pm, but the stupid part about it is they close the doors to protect the console operator, so you have to pass money ect through a little hole in counter.
When i fill up i could spend anything from $50.00 to $250.00 and i dont carry that much cash on me. I pay by card.
when you go to the window they wont take your card while filling up, you have to have cash. makes it a bit hard, so i go else where if after 10pm.
cheers

shane.
FollowupID: 630505

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 09:30

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 09:30
Yep, spot on Shane.

My local is a BP outlet as well.
I have, on occasions taken my card in and left it with the console operator as I don't know how much I'm likely to spend filling up.

More often though, I choose another "service station" if after hours.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 630529

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 14:31

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 14:31
Why would you fill up at BP? here in WA at least they are consistantly 5-10cpl dearer than elsewhere
FollowupID: 630577

Follow Up By: tim_c - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 13:04

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 13:04
I wouldn't leave my credit card unattended with them. If they don't trust me, why should I trust them? Offer to leave your driver's licence instead. Most will accept this - if not, go somewhere else (or come back during the daytime)
FollowupID: 630780

Reply By: joe99 - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:04

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:04
Sorry Shane, but I do not quite understand the story.

If what happened was that the "other car" filled up while he was hidden from view behind your mate's van and then drove off, the fact that your mate had a receipt for his fuel proves nothing.

If the servo operator claims that while you mate was filling his tug, another passenger filled a couple of jerry cans and stashed them in the boot, it is hard to disprove the accusation.

Unless there were cameras, the servo operator could dispute that the "other car" even existed.

joe99
AnswerID: 362856

Follow Up By: Member - shane (SA) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:41

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:41
Yes you are right, but then they could say that about anyone.
Your word against mine. I just thought i would post this for others to be aware of,and in my view a gross misuse of our police.
cheers.

shane.
FollowupID: 630504

Reply By: Best Off Road - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:11

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:11
Four Wallopers to chase up Petrol theft?

Four?

It's hardly the crime of the Century.

Four?

Rapes, bashings, armed robberies.

Four?

Misuse of Police resources.

Jim.

AnswerID: 362858

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 09:47

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 09:47
in principal yes Jim.
But you dont know the background.
Its not law abiding citizens that do this. There may have been other things going on in the area.
FollowupID: 630533

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 10:02

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 10:02
So by your reconing a theft does not require a police response ??
Be it a $1 chocolate or a $50 fuel drive off its a theft that needs a response , a sad reflection on you that you have that attitude that ' its only " ....... $50 nothing crime soon can and does escalate to bigger crimes if not nipped in the bud.
FollowupID: 630536

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 15:41

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 15:41
Well Axel I'd rather our Police resources were used on more important matters like madmen terrorising Airline Pilots.

You probably disagree.

FollowupID: 630590

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 16:26

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 16:26
You must be on the cheap red again eh ? Madmen terrorising airline pilots ! How often is that in Aus eh ? Guarenteed that YOU would be the 1st to scream blue bloody murder if some lowlife even just siphoned $5 of fuel from your vehicle...Go back to your red induced dreams.
FollowupID: 630601

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:09

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:09
No, as you know it does happen.

About a year ago up around the Kimberley some nutta had to explain his actions after verbally terrorising a light aircraft pilot. I must find out what the outcome was.

I'll let you know, here.

FollowupID: 630629

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 21:16

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 21:16
Colin is going to call me back tomorrow.

I'll update you then.

About time to change your alias again you weasel.

FollowupID: 630865

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:57

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:57
Which weasel?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 630998

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 19:38

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 19:38
Geoff,

Your close personal friend Axel LOL.

FollowupID: 631029

Reply By: CJ - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:13

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:13
AAAH, but still this is the lucky country.

All can be happy, because there is law and order
There is innocence until proven otherwise
Isn't it wonderful, considering that in other countries lawlessness such as running away with 150 bucks is totally ignored by coppers
And then in some countries the poor fellow would have been banged in prison because some coppers didn't like the look of him never mind what paper he provided. If that happened to be on a Friday afternoon it would have spent the whole weekend in the slammer
There are places where the fellow would have been slapped and seriously hurt and that never would have made page 6 of the paper

No I am sorry, but this story demonstrates why this is one of the lucky countries
AnswerID: 362859

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:31

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:31
This could happen to you...

A brick could fall off the top of a building and hit you on the head.
AnswerID: 362864

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 22:00

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 22:00
Best laugh I've had tonight.

I'm still giggling as I type this.

Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 630507

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:35

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:35
And all this would be solved, including unemployment, if we went back to Service Stations having driveway staff doing the filling, checking oil, washing windscreens etc.

Self Serve was a big backward step.

At my local BP a few weeks ago I couldn't get the pump to pump more than a litre or so without clicking off all the time. I went into the shop, fuming, complained to the cash register operator and he just passed me a "customer service" card with a 1300 number on it. He couldn't care less. I told him to shove it and whistle for the cost of the 2 or 3 litres I had already pumped.

I've been on the run ever since.....
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 362865

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:55

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:55
"And all this would be solved, including unemployment, if we went back to Service Stations having driveway staff doing the filling, checking oil, washing windscreens etc."

Brilliant suggestion GB

IF

You're prepared to pay another 10 cents per litre to cover the wages, on costs, super, worker's comp etc.

Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 630506

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 22:26

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 22:26
Jim, if drive away without paying is a bad as the media tells us it is, they could pay the staff with what they are at present losing. Happier customers (driveway service), happier people (who get the jobs), leads to a happier business owner, in a happier economy. Good suggestion GB.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 630509

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 22:57

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 22:57
Love your pic Motherhen.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 630513

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 00:17

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 00:17
Only talking about that today. When we stopped having full driveway service did the price of fuel drop? Don't think so.

Many country servos here in WA still have staff pump your fuel.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 630516

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 10:28

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 10:28
Amazing isnt it ,privately owned servo in Brighton /Brisbane still does full driveway service and fuel price is exactly the same as woolies servo even after discount ,,,
FollowupID: 630538

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 23:08

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 23:08
I doubt VERY much whether there were 4 cops for that offence.
I speak with experience and MOST States now put the onus back to the Servo for drive off's....

And NO WAY 2 cops cars would've gone to the persons address unless someone told them he had a GUN !!!

The rest of the story seems fair, but I have heard it before...at least 3 times now :-)
AnswerID: 362870

Reply By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 23:10

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 23:10
I have often believed that service station owners should have to pay for police time in relation to enforcement of "fail to pay" for petrol offenses.

Some time ago service station's decided to save money etc by going to self serve facilities. As a result more PUBLIC resources are now used to chase up these fraud offenses.

As far as 4 police and two cars turning up....must have been a quiet day
AnswerID: 362871

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 11:05

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 11:05
we also run our own business - try getting a copper to chase a customer that just doesn't want to pay. Whether you're a carpenter, plumber, upholsterer, painter, you're on your own.

Four coppers? I've seen four patrol cars and two motorbikes (ten coppers) on the F3 at Ourimbah catching speeding drivers. Not blaming the individual copper - just the idiot who delegates. I understand there can be a reason, but not that often. It's not their money so why worry. Little accountability.
FollowupID: 630543

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 13:39

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 13:39
Cram , next time you have something to sell give us a hoy ,, know that you believe that "fail to pay " is not a real crime ,,,,
FollowupID: 630566

Follow Up By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 14:12

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 14:12
Well once again it appears that you have managed to offer an opinion, and based on your signature they are not worth much. So I would wonder why you would bother.

Whilst in this case facts won't cost you dollars, well in fact they will because we are all paying as a result of petrol theft, but they may have saved you stating an opinion about my post that was not based on fact.

I have not said anywhere that Fail to pay for petrol is not a real crime. What I am pointing out is that fact that businesses, as a result of their business decisions should have to contribute to enforcement.

User pay is not new within policing and is widely used.

Other businesses, such as banks have their own in house way of handling fraud cases and only the significant fraud cases end up in the criminal court and often when they do the banks own team have done most of the work its just a matter of the police turning up and charging the offender.

Shop lifting is also a crime that costs millions retaillers millions of dollars each year. Retailers contribute to the enforcement of this by putting in their own security measures.

Public order is a social issue that police are involved in however, hotelliers contribute to this by employing security.

My 23 years experience working in the criminal justice system and the research I have done in this area tells me that the fuel companies are increasing prices as a result of drive offs.

So the community pays in numerous. They pay for enforcement of the retail business decisions of service stations and then pay extra as a result of the increase

http://www.bocsar.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/bocsar/ll_bocsar.nsf/vwFiles/CJB101.pdf/$file/CJB101.pdf

Suggestions have been made that the service station owners do something about combating this theft, as far back as 2006 but they still have not done it yet.

So hopefully that provides you with some much needed facts.

However, I again point out that I did not say it was not a crime.

In relation to opinions I prefer the saying, there like bleep s everyones got one.
FollowupID: 630573

Follow Up By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 17:06

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 17:06
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630605

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:59

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:59
Cram YOU made the statement that " service station owners should have to pay for police time in relation of ' fail to pay ' in relation to petrol offences " ,, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell us ALL how come or why a business owner should PAY for police to investigate a crime committed against their property ,, you can change the actual wording of the crime committed however much you like ,IT IS STILL THEFT from the LEGAL owner ,,,, FAIL to PAY = nothing but a term used to lessen the actual act of THEFT and should be treated as such ,, your 23 yrs of community service is commendable non the less ,, FACT is that for the last 30 odd years law and order in "real "terms has been taken from the police and judiciary and given to the " its not their fault so treat them with kid gloves " brigade of which you are obviously one .....
FollowupID: 630647

Follow Up By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:17

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:17
You again state opinion but who you think I am and what you think I am but again fail to give US FACTS

Opinions are like the dollar coin , not worth much.
Facts however can save you lots of dollars.

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble.....Goose...

If you want to take it further take it to private messages so that everyone else does not have to put up with your ill informed and opinions based on your perceptions you still have not provided me with ONE, I REPEAT ONE FACT....LOSER
FollowupID: 630652

Follow Up By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:19

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:19
Should also mention, even thought it was pointed out to you before the offense is in FACT not theft....so please again get it right or pull your head in....
FollowupID: 630654

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:46

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:46
Fact , no matter what you call it , be it theft , failure to pay . stealing or what ever , the legal owner of the goods has not been reimbursed for his goods that he has put up for resale and is legally entitled to recieve for those goods ,, no matter how you want to describe it , ITS A FORM OF THEFT and should be treated with the utmost contempt ,, next thing you will tell us its OK to "borrow" a car from a strangers driveway in the dark of the night without their permission.
FollowupID: 630667

Follow Up By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:58

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:58
Still avoiding the FACTS I see....I am starting to wonder why I am wasting my time with you....somebody who chooses to hide their profile indicates to me a man, sorry boy who has problems facing people face on.....good night again loser and please provide me with some FACTS very soon, I think you should change your signature....

It should read something like "Warning ill informed individual who deals with supposition and who believes his opinions are fact....."

As I said earlier, please save everyone having to read your garbage or then again keep going so people can see that REAL AXLE is in fact a fraud, the signature proves that... lmao.

In relation to your assertion of me be a do gooder, buddy I have put more blokes into court and behind bars then you could ever imagine...so again please deal with FACT.....

FollowupID: 630670

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:04

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:04
can you two go and squabble elsewhere please?
FollowupID: 630675

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:09

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:09
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Chit Chat Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630677

Follow Up By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:15

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:15
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Chit Chat Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630679

Reply By: fisho64 - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 03:03

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 03:03
How about seeing the other side of the story.

Im sure those coppers have never heard anyone say "It wasnt me" or "I didnt do it".

We will just send one officer cos he said it wasnt him-get real. Look what happened in WA with the petrol drive off and Officer Shane Gray 2 years back near Karratha.

Get a bit of a reality check. Law abiding citizens dont drive off.
If its not linked with something more serious, then its likely someone full of pi+s or similar.

Rag coppers and fuel companies for sh+t they deserve not this rubbish.
AnswerID: 362879

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 07:42

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 07:42
along a similar line, i've gone in to pay for my fuel at the counter once before and the lady wanted to charge me an extra $100 for my fuel. i said no it's pump such and such, she replies thats already been paid for yours is this amount. after abit of mucking around she realises that someone has done a swifty and gone in and paid for mine so it doesn't look like they are doing a drive off. took about 5 minutes to sort out but i was then on my way. i asked what happens next and the lady said they would review the video and then call the police.
AnswerID: 362887

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 11:03

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 11:03
Sorry mate, that was me :-)

FollowupID: 630542

Reply By: joe99 - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 07:53

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 07:53
To stop "drive-offs", why dont the servos just install retractable bollards controlled by the operator and only retracted after payment has been made?

joe99
AnswerID: 362889

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 09:43

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 09:43
good idea in principal but I imagine quite difficult to install in an existing SS as tanks are usually under the forecourt.

Better idea is what many newish outlets in NZ have, credit/debit card machine on the pump.
FollowupID: 630532

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 11:06

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 11:06
I believe in some areas...and overseas, you have to PAY FIRST before you get your fuel...during the night that is.

That is what the Police argue about and say it is NOT there problem as in reality it is a Civil matter as you have entered into an agreement with the operator/customer to buy something and then pay for it.

If you agree to buy something from someone and they send it to you and then you fail to send the money, that is a civil matter, not a police matter.

FollowupID: 630544

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 11:56

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 11:56
Dunco , police may argue that it is a civil matter , in reality it is still THEFT , go to a restaurant order a meal ,eat that meal and then refuse to pay , Is that a "civil matter' or is that theft ? if its only a civil matter you better tell the law courts in every Australian state where that bloke has spent goal time on a serial basis for just that crime.
FollowupID: 630552

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 12:28

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 12:28
I won't argue with you, but you are looking toooo much into it.

FollowupID: 630556

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 13:05

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 13:05
Dunco , its no argument , Is a fuel drive off theft or not ? Stealing /theft is a perception concept taken too lightly by some , so little johhny steals a choclate bar worth a $1 and gets away wth it , next little johhny steals a push bike and gets away with it , soon little johhny is into stealing cars and fuel drive offs , ....... yep looking toooooo much into it ,,, twas a time that punishment fit the crime and was a deterent ,
FollowupID: 630561

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 13:58

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 13:58
Actually, the Offence is a type of Fraud, not theft.

And I said that the Police do not want to deal with this as the operator has entered into an agreement that the customer will pay. And if they don't, it is the operators fault. Proved at Court !!!

Now, it's little Johnny's fault is it..very bad analogy Axel.

I am NOT condoning this type of Offence...I was just saying that there would NOT have been 4 police attend...gees, You blokes go off half cocked and look for any thing to have a go...

FollowupID: 630567

Follow Up By: Member - Dave G (QLD) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 16:12

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 16:12
Also like to add most of Police work is reactive..that is they react to
an offence or crime after it has happened,ie when they receive a report from a victim or witness of an offence that has happened, the other side of the coin is Pro-Active Policing, thats being around an area taking steps by having their presence seen or known about to prevent crime or offences, Like Dunc said to get 4 coppers to an offence like this someone may have threatened to flatten someone (threat of Violence)

As far a restaurants not paying for a bill, I reckon in 99% of cases I would deal with as a civil matter, that is you've bought a meal and disagreed with the supplier about the meal, no good, not what you wanted or too cold etc.

The bloke who would go to Gaol would be the nutter who is the cereal offender there is one nutter that goes around restaurants deliberately eating meals then refusing to pay, thats different. He is purposely entering restaurants do deliberately defraud them.
FollowupID: 630598

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 10:16

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 10:16
Last yr , Sunday 15/6/08 pulled into Pardoo R/house , young girl behind counter in tears , just had a drive off to the value of $280 dollars ,, no hope of a police response as nearest 150klm away ,,,
AnswerID: 362907

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 22:35

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 22:35
knowing how they charge, it was probably a Suzuki swift Hyundai Getz or similar with 50 litre tank.
FollowupID: 630890

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 12:00

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 12:00
This happened to me, a guy pulled up in the next lane, same bowser, different nozzle. I remember he was having trouble getting it to work properly so he moved up to the next bowser. I paid for my fuel, about half hour later the police were at my home wanting to know why I did a runner. I explained what had happened, showed them the receipt. They were happy with that and said they would get onto the servo to check their camera footage again.
They were not happy with all that running around for $5 though.

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 362923

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 12:30

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 12:30
Excactly my point and why there would NOT have been 4 cops go to one house.

FollowupID: 630557

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 13:30

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 13:30
Dunco ,would seem that you have a problem over police response and numbers ,
On a Sunday afternoon last sept wife was driving past what was at the time our local scout hall , saw a set of legs protruding from a window and two other young uns giving the boost up , u turn and shout , stopped the kids running off , phoned local police station , had 4 yes 4 police cars at the scene whithin 10min , 5th unmarked car 5 min later , all up 10 officers ,, overkill ?? NO ,, bet your last $ that the 3 12yr olds will never break into any where ever again.
FollowupID: 630563

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 14:02

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 14:02
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630568

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 16:55

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 16:55

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630604

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 17:26

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 17:26

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630611

Follow Up By: Member - Dave G (QLD) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 17:34

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 17:34

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630614

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:03

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:03

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630628

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:26

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:26

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630637

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:12

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:12

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630650

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:56

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:56

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630689

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 22:17

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 22:17

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630692

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 18:18

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 18:18
Axel, It would seem that YOU have a problem making your point I suggest youve upset enough people now, maybe you could back off a little
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 631001

Reply By: slammin - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 15:15

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 15:15
I used to work at a v.v. busy service station (we would go out and pump and windscreen, & upsell oil etc when quiet).

Anyway we had a v.slick family come buy when it was chock a block they filled up 200 litres and got a gas bottle filled. Anyway the wife goes in and pays JUST for the gas bottle, so they got away. We had to file a complaint and log it etc.

Anyway a month later they came back and i recognised them so I called the boys in blue they rocked up and nabbed them. Heard back 2 days later that they had been doing runners all the way up the coast. They ended up with over 20 charges.

So 4 cops maybe exageration - may not be - we weren't there but don't forget that someone who does a runner from fuel is also most likely into other $hiite too and cops would love to "meet" them.

Regards,

Sam.
AnswerID: 362958

Reply By: StormyKnight - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 18:45

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 18:45
A couple of points....

I filled up from a Diesel Truck pump at a local servo & then drove around to a car parking spot still at the servo so the kids & I could get out & go to the toilet. We went into pay first & by then the operator was already in a fluster....as it turns out, they have to pay for the fule that any runner takes. She sure was pleased when i offered to pay for the outstanding Diesel.

When the police are called, they will do a rego check which will then locate the address of the registered owner of the vehicle. I'm not sure if you all know, but every car, house & person has a history on the police computer. They will take all that information into account when they pay you a visit. Even if you just brought the car or moved into the house....the history is still there.

On a quite night, you may have two or more cars not doing much more that circulating, so its not difficult to get two cars turn up. Also each car will have two officers, especially at night.

From the police point of view, a fraud offence has occurred as stated above. Most law abiding people may see 2 police cars & 4 policeman overkill, but remeber most drive offs aren't done by law abiding people...

Its not too much of an extension that if people are confident in getting away with a drive-off, that they may be confident in resisting arrest too!

Drive-offs will continue to rise as unemployment does & also as fuel prices rise. Worse is when both occur together.

AnswerID: 363000

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:24

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 19:24
From Stromy Knight;
I'm not sure if you all know, but every car, house & person has a history on the police computer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incorrect, sorry mate.
Check your facts before you make a statement.

Car yes, house and people - NO
FollowupID: 630635

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:27

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 20:27

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630658

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:54

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:54

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630687

Follow Up By: Member - Dave G (QLD) - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 07:55

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 07:55

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 630725

Reply By: fisho64 - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 02:52

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 02:52
I have to say that I agree with Axel on one thing, fraud is a type of theft just like shoplifting is a type of theft.

And I think it is the "intent" that defines it. If a person drives into the station with no means to pay fills up and drives off, or does it in a way that shows they had no intention, thats theft.

Also someone made the comment that stations should pay cops to track down theft cos other businesses contribute such as pubs etc. Frankly that is a ridiculous (bordering on stupid)analogy.

Paying for your own security measures is completely different to paying a copper to attend. That would be bribery and corrupt.
There would be no police in dodgy suburbs and rich suburbs would have all the cops.

Why not do the same with the health system? Then we could be like the US!
AnswerID: 363436

Sponsored Links