Mount Brown Track

Submitted: Monday, May 04, 2009 at 14:23
ThreadID: 68508 Views:5314 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know much about the Mount Brown Track that crosses the Strzelecki Desert from near Lake Frome to the NSW Border?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 15:09

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 15:09
There is no general access to the SA/NSW Border between the Barrier Highway and Cameron Corner
AnswerID: 363147

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 16:13

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 16:13
I haven't checked exactly which track mean but while I was living in the Hill I did a bit of looking around out that way and some checking with some contacts I had through a neighbour who had worked on the Dog Fence.

You can travel to Mt Brown via a couple of tracks. The easiest to find is from Milparinka. You can also access the border at a number of points by using various tracks that go across from the Silver City Highway if you can find the right ones. They are not generally signposted and I think all of them have gates as they travel through stations on private land. Before using any of these tracks you should check with the property owner and they are not always easy to find and you can not count on it being a formality. They have the right to, and often do refuse access.

Whether or not you can get to the border there is no public either along the border, I.e. the dog fence or into SA.

There are a couple of tracks shown but in 4 years of trying, including a conversation face to face with the property manager, I believe the property is owned by the Kidman Group, in a car park in Broken Hill I did not get permission. Apparently some time ago a group accessed the track without permission while it was wet. Not content with driving through and causing minimal track damage this group thought it would be fun to do some circle work and play in bog holes.

If you do manage to contact the property owners and get permission to use the track please let me know, I would still love to travel through there.

Duncs
AnswerID: 363167

Reply By: TrevorDavid- Monday, May 04, 2009 at 20:32

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 20:32
Queenscliff, Frome Downs station will not give you access, in fact there is a sign up out front of the homestead saying no access to NSW border.

TDB
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 363243

Reply By: queenscliff - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 09:45

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 09:45
Gents,

Thank you for the feedback.

To clarify I was looking at leaving from Old Moolawatana and driving via the Mount Brown Track and associated roads to Cameron Corner but, by the sounds of it, the land owners don't allow it.

Do you believe it worth asking for permission or just find an alternative route?

Thanks again

Ian
AnswerID: 363298

Sponsored Links