Did you listen to ABC and Australia all Over today?

Submitted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 12:05
ThreadID: 68693 Views:4444 Replies:15 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Macca, Ian McNamara this morning was talking about the Pedestrian Council of Australia and our nemesis Harold Scruby this morning with a guest. He asked how many members were in the PCA and said he should join as he was so frequently a pedestrian.

No, I wasn't listening, but the good SWMBO was listening. We calculate there should be a few less listeners after his comments today from this group.

I haven't listened to Macca since I found him so self centered. It is better when the guests do it over Christmas.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chev-Patrol 6.5 V8 D - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 12:47

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 12:47
Better be careful John.....you're treading on thin ice I'd imagine!!! hahahaha. Macca is a bit of an institution with a lot of the grey nomads.

However, like you, I too decided a few years ago that Ian was just a bit too full of himself..... One of the many things he did (possibly still does), is to NOT listen to his callers. EG: Somebody would ring: "G'day Macca, this is Fred from Benalla, just calling to let you know about the .................. event that we have here this weekend"...etc. ... Macca: "Okay that sounds interesting; where are you calling from Frank?".....

Okay, okay, he could well be trying to juggle 3 other things at the same time......... but when you're talking to somebody it is important that they have your undivided attention. This is doubly important when the person is on the phone and you cannot see their face.

As for the Harold Scubby matter...... the less said the better, eh!!!!!

Cheers mate

Roachie
AnswerID: 364150

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 14:42

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 14:42
Roachie, mate, all the wrath of EO readers couldn't be what I am used to with pins in dolls.

There are just as many that have lost faith in Macca as lost faith in US dollars, or The Crows for that matter.
FollowupID: 631850

Reply By: wild dog - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 12:53

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 12:53
" I haven't listened to Macca since I found him so self centered"

Would that have been in the early 90's ??? That's about when I gave him away as a talkback host. He used to get some real characters on when he started.

Also I've never heard of the PCA, how does one qualify to join ???
Put one foot in front of the other and move in a foward motion ??

AnswerID: 364152

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 14:24

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 14:24
Australia All Over..........

Was great to tune in and listen from almost anywhere on a Sunday morning ....

Started slipping in quality from about 1988 I reckoned ....

Early 90's was when I gave up on it .....
FollowupID: 631847

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 14:38

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 14:38
yes, about then. Years ago he started to believe in his own understanding of economics. About the best thing he had was bird sounds, we even had them used in our answer service message. "Sorry we can't take your call, we are away with the birds right now ......" sounds of magpies in the trees
FollowupID: 631849

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 15:44

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 15:44
Yep, I've never heard a more out of control ego.

When people rave about him I just shake my head... unbelievable.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 631855

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 16:11

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 16:11
Bloody hell! This is a cert to get moderated!!!! All these negative comments about Macca!
And I thought is was only me! Like you lot, I stopped listening to him back in the early 90's for the same reasons.
But he's not even professional with his presentation - he can't cue music, can't time the news breaks, rambles off on a tangent, then runs out of steam half-way thru a sentence, not finishing it. When I hear that Macca theme music, I let out a scream and hit the Off button or change stations.
The best time is when he's on hols, and another older guy takes over relieving, and he's really interesting, and treats his callers with dignity. Pity he didn't do the show full-time.
The less said about Scruby the better....
Gerry
FollowupID: 631860

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:46

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:46
Before I opened this post, I was raring to go .... I wanted to tell you lot how I couldn't stomach the bloke anymore.

Can't stand the way he carries on and doesn't rate any caller's comments above his own. Ignores them and heads off with some banal rant about non issues. Fawns over people he rates, but bumbles along with others who he can't understand....

And how much better is it over Summer with the replacements?

Australia All Over is such a great concept.... Surely someone has told by now? Settle down, be polite, speak more clearly and carefully, listen to new ideas ..... aaaargh!
FollowupID: 631917

Follow Up By: Welldone WA - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 02:06

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 02:06
Sometimes when your in a remote part of this wide brown land , the sound of "Macca's clacca" is all you can get on a Sunday morning!
FollowupID: 631925

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 11:47

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 11:47
Hi Royce,
like you, when I saw the post, I was expecting me to be the only dissenter. How refreshing to see like-minded people!
When will the ABC wake up to this dork? His summer replacement is head and shoulders over him.

Hi Welldone,
Yes, sadly I think this is the ABC's punishment to remote areas! When camping, I usually wake up early, and so as not to disturb anyone, I turn on my earphone radio to while away the next hour or two, taking in the ABC's country flavour. Never on Sunday, tho!

Arrrgh!!!
FollowupID: 631962

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Monday, May 11, 2009 at 14:05

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 14:05
Okay..... I confess.... If nothing else is available [Radio Nat or News Radio].. I'll listen to Macca...

But I tend to switch off in disgust and then go back a bit later to see if anything has improved.
FollowupID: 631986

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 14:41

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 14:41
LOL @ Royce

Me too for a second or two ... hoping to here Ringo the Dingo .... LOLOL

But I normally end up just listening to an old Australia All Over album I have - which doesnt have it either ...

Tis a shame about the programme because it was the unprofessional adlib production that hooked me in the first place ...

It still has that but the delivery has been sorely lacking in quality for many years now.
FollowupID: 631988

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 16:41

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 16:41
Macca is probably the most unprofessional announcer in Australia. Having worked in radio and learned the value of proper preparation and having everything ready and at your fingertips, he sounds like he has just walked into a strange studio and can't find a thing.

His "producer" is obviously just filling in a "job for the boys" because he seems incapable of tying the whole thing together.

And 15 minutes of the same bird calls every week was just lazy .. lazy ... lazy. I gave up on Macca years ago as well. Glad it wasn't just me, though. I thought I was just being "picky".

Well past his use by date ...

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 364163

Reply By: Rolly - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:06

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:06
Macca who?
AnswerID: 364168

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 18:27

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 18:27
ditto
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 631881

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 00:05

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 00:05
Eastern States thing I think...
FollowupID: 631921

Follow Up By: landseka - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 13:37

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 13:37
We can get his prog here in Bunbury .. I'd rather tear my hair out than have to listen to him. :)

FollowupID: 631979

Reply By: Steve Ellis - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:10

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:10
If I were in radio I would kill to get his audience every sunday morning. Some of it is stale but he pulls in the punters. If I owned a commercial network I would be chasing him. The biggest ego in radio was John Laws and he was worth millions to himself and his stations and sponsors, because of the ego. After saying all that, I dont listen much anymore. Cant listen to anyone else in the bush.
AnswerID: 364170

Reply By: Steve Ellis - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:24

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:24
What time was Screwball on Maccas show? for those who want to be bothered listening it can be listed to on the ABC website in real player or windows media. You need to know the hour. eg. 7 to 8 am. Personaly I wont be bothered. Some will say know your enemy but I really dont think there is anyone of intellect or importance who takes him seriosly.
AnswerID: 364172

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 18:11

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 18:11
Sorry for the slight mis-information Scruby wasn't actually on but there was discussion about the PCA, I believe sometimes between 8.00 and 9.00. I didn't listen and don't Steve. Macca apparently was asking his guest how many members and who forms the membership. The silly bloke then said he should join as he was sometimes a pedestrian.. All as reported.
FollowupID: 631878

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:30

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 17:30
There was mention of Lasseters Reef. Something about a group claiming to know it's whereabouts. I'm afraid I missed most of the info.

Does anyone know what it was about?

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 364173

Reply By: rocco2010 - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 18:08

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 18:08
And i thought is was just me too ....

Remember that stupid line about people who were up listening to macca in the morning ... the farmer in the pub ... at 6am!

I wasn't listening to him this morning but I was chatting to blogger Heather and her husband John at the Dryandra forest camp ground. It was nice to meet someone who contributes a lot to this site.

Cheers Rocco
AnswerID: 364182

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:04

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:04
Hmmmm...... I was listening to him on the road between Bourke and Cobar a couple of Sundays ago. Must've been the first time in 10 years as his interview manner had turned me off big time. In the mean time he might have improved a bit and actually remembered the caller's names. Soon switched back to a dose of BB King, much to SWMBO's disgust...LOL

The one thing you have to admit is that Harold certainly is media savvy. He gets all the attention he wants. Not sure if anyone listens or only pays lip service. Still, there must be a quid in it somewhere along the line or young Harold would have shuffled off in a different direction by now. I don't think his rantings amount to much apart from worrying those who want to worry.

Cheers
AnswerID: 364192

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:37

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:37
I find bricks and roses far more entertaining
AnswerID: 364199

Reply By: equinox - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:40

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:40
It's good to see the age old Australian tradition, "The Tall Poppy Syndrome" is alive and well..........

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 364201

Follow Up By: Ken - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:57

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 19:57
Don't know when you thought Macca was a tally poppy. Agree with the others, ego overload and very self centered and opinionated.
I reckon it would be a very long time since he experienced most of what he goes on about.
Ken
FollowupID: 631893

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 13:36

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 13:36
Firm believer in the tradition of tall poppy lopping!

To me it is one of the great things about Australia … bringing a person who is up himself to the nth degree down to size.

Fits in with the egalitarian concept of Eureka, the idea that every man is as good as his “master”, the shearers’ strikes of the 19th century and every pub I have been into in my life; where a person who is acting in a manner that is lording themselves above their peers deserves to have the P### taken out of them.

The tall poppy syndrome does not apply to those that can do, only those that blowhard their own capabilities.

Personally, I believe Macca is a waste of air space, when he spends hours extolling the “real Australia” which faded out of existence 3 generations ago and only lives on in that part of Australia that believes that we should turn back to the political and economic climate of the golden past (which never really existed)
FollowupID: 631978

Reply By: Best Off Road - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 20:38

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 20:38
Ah, I don't worry too much about the ravings of some ego hungry radio broadcasters.

I'm far more interseted in the way of the world and where we are going.

Unemployment has actually decreased. Rupert Murdoch and the RBA predict the worst is behind us (it's hardly been devastating) and the economy is on the turn.

Isn't life wonderful? And isn't this a wonderful country to live in?

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 364208

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 13:20

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 13:20
Sorry Jim, it doesn't look like you changed the direction of this thread! I don't know Macca - and it sounds like a good thing but I know about HS and I was hoping a punch up.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 631976

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:13

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:13
Pity B,

I thought it would have been far better to discuss the fortunes of the land than some dill behind a microphone.

More good news today, NAB economist also reckons it is over and the stimulus packages have worked.

Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 632056

Reply By:- Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 21:50

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 21:50
Some years ago when I was in the cops at North Sydney, the Pedestrian Council of Australia was referred to as "Harold Scruby and his fax machine". I think this pretty well sums up the membership of the PCA. Rather than him being "media savvy", the media simply use him knowing that he is always good for a comment that will outrage motorists (particularly those with a 4WD) and generate circulation/coverage. This is an older gent from an affluent suburb who simply has too much time on his hands and a bee in his bonnet.
AnswerID: 364220

Reply By: Russ n Sue - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 02:00

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 02:00
Macca was broadcasting from Karratha a few years ago. He had traacked down a guy called Shane whom had called him from an oil rig off Dampier several years before. Shane was now working on shore at the Seven Mile rail workshops between Karratha and Dampier.

The interview went something like this....

Macca "So Shane, you're off the rigs and working at Seven Mile now?"

Shane " Yeah Macca, been there for a couple of years now"

Macca "Yeah, I saw those workshops on the way in from the workshop. They're huge aren't they?"

Shane "Yeah Macca"

Macca "So Shane, how many blokes work there?"

Shane " Oh, about half of them I guess Macca"

Macca "Leave the comedy to me Shane"

etc etc

I can report to you all that when Macca said "Leave the comedy to me Shane", he sounded REALLY pi**ed off, and the interview was cut short.

That was the last time I listened to him. Saw him at the restuarant at the pub we were staying at. He kept dashing into the TAB every couple of minute. Doesn't mind a punt, it seems.

Cheers

Russ.
AnswerID: 364239

Reply By: swampy460 - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 03:12

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 03:12
I agree he lost me a few years ago. On the rare ocassion that I have to listen to him all he waffles on about is racehorses and much he loves going to the trots.
Well I'm sorry but he gives me the trots.

Swampy
AnswerID: 364419

Sponsored Links