Swags Australia budget swags-any opinions?

Submitted: Monday, May 11, 2009 at 18:39
ThreadID: 68732 Views:4698 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I'm looking for a fairly basic good quality swag that won't break the bank.

I've come across these budget swags from Swags Australia for $197, wondering if anyone has one of these and has any comments about them? (here's the link: http://swagsaustralia.com/budget_swags.php)

The other swags I'm considering are:
-Oztrail Simpson
-Oztrail Mitchell
-Burke & Wills Ironbark

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 19:43

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 19:43
Swags Australia

Fixed for ya.
AnswerID: 364363

Reply By: BenDiD - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 19:46

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 19:46
Arod,

I have a swag from Sunset Canvas in Toowoomba. I just love it.

It has a vinyl base which is great for damp or wet ground. Really strong, quality canvas top which has plenty of room in it and a strong YKK plastic zipper down the side. You can also get mozzie flaps and storm flaps (extensions to the top flap which cover your face if there's mozzies or rain.

The catch - it was about $240 when I bought it 10 years ago. From memory they are about $300 now so may be too much for your purposes. I think its called the Deluxe Swag. They have a more basic model and a more fancy model which is one of the fully enclosed "mini tent" types.

My 2 tips would be to get one where the top flap can fully cover your head if you like to sleep in it under the stars. And get a thicker mattress - most come with 50mm, its definitely wort paying a little extra for a 75mm mattress OR if you're camping in cold areas get a cheap "therma-reast" type mattress to put in the swag under the mattress.

You can buy online. Their website is Sunset Canvas

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ben
AnswerID: 364364

Reply By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:12

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:12
We have an Oztrail Mitchell Double swag. We purchased it last year to live in for a month while mustering cattle Sth of Marble Bar, and I can highly recommend it. We had a small issue with one of the poles bending, but I've fixed that now. Very comfy mattress and the swag can be opened right up to just having a fly mesh over you , which was great when we had many hot nights.

cheers Unc
AnswerID: 364370

Follow Up By: Member - Danielle T (WA) - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 21:14

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 21:14
Yeap we have one of these too. Love it. D
FollowupID: 632080

Follow Up By: Geoff M (QLD) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 09:32

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 09:32
I'll put in another tick for the Oztrail Mitchell (single).

Had mine for about 4 years now and can't fault it. You should be able to pick one up for under $200.

Geoff
FollowupID: 632118

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 21:45

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 21:45
All I will say is to buy the best quality swag that you can afford.
A cheaper quality swag will only give you grief.
Also buy a swag with extra width. (XL size if a single)
The hoop style are the most practical and doesn't take up any more room.

You need a swag that has a high density ripple foam mattress for comfort. Any compromise on this and you will certainly notice it.
You need a swag that has a quality waterproof canvas cover. Anything less than this and you can't use it out in the open.
If using it out in the open, you will be glad if it includes an insect screen between you and those mozzies that seek you out.

Our swags are about 6 years old and still give us immense comfort and satisfaction.
For Christmas, we bought one for our son. It was the same brand as ours, but the latest model. Not much difference in quality but was $100 dearer than the next cheaper option. You could feel the difference in the canvass quality and more importantly, the mattress comfort just laying on it on the showroom floor.

We use our swags when taking our tent in lieu of the camper trailer, but they also double as quality additional sleeping kits for guests at home.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 364392

Reply By: arod - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:30

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:30
Thanks for the replies so far. Seems like the Mitchell is pretty good. Just wondering if you can unzip this one down the side and sleep on top of it?

I'd be really keen to hear from anyone who's tried the Swags Australia one, that's the one I was leaning towards but I'm not too keen to buy it without hearing any feedback about it.
AnswerID: 364550

Sponsored Links