Chillagoe - camping recommendations

Submitted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 13:25
ThreadID: 68780 Views:7055 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Heading to Chillagoe in June and haven't been out there for over 5 years.

Where do people recommend to camp or steer clear of ?

I have a camper trailer

Thanks

Rod
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael R (NSW) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 18:23

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 18:23
Hi Rod,

A group of us stayed there last August and camped at the Chillagoe Observatory and Eco Lodge. We had a variety of camper trailers, jaycos and tents. There is a fairly flat area out the back which was pretty vacant, a little further from the amenities block, but it was away from a fairly crowded group that had camped closer to the amenities and office (not sure whether they were there for power etc).

Hospitality was good and they did the night time observatory tour for us as well. We had a campfire out the back too. Also, there was a for sale sign out the front, so I don't know if it has changed hands.

When we were there, there was a flatter area near the observatory, but this was close to the septic tanks and the ground was damp so we thought better of this spot.

Michael
AnswerID: 364693

Follow Up By: Members-Neil & Margie-Cairns - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 20:17

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 20:17
We will be staying there over the June weekend , have heard it is a good spot so have booked in ,, thanks for that Michael ,, and hope to see you there Rod !!

All the best ,, Neil ..

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 632363

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 08:52

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 08:52
There is a woman with place that backs onto the creek at the edge of town. Nice shady spot, she's into fossils and stuff.

Ablutions area bit basic, stoke your own donkey, but a top spot.

Just ask a the info centre, everyone knows her. (I can't remember the name)
AnswerID: 364766

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 05:39

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 05:39
Her name is Mary and her place is out near the airport. We stayed there a couple of years ago. She will make you very welcome and explain where to see fossils etc.

There is a lot to see in and around Chillagoe. The limestone formations and caves are great and there is a load of mining history. When we found the fossil areas (mainly crinoids) it was disappointing to find that some areas had been seriously smashed up by people wanting to take a souvenir.

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 632599

Sponsored Links