Topo Australia Manual (Garmin)

Submitted: Friday, May 15, 2009 at 22:06
ThreadID: 68876 Views:4769 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Dear All
Have just received a DVD of Garmin's Topo Australia v2 and cannot find a manual for it or Basecamp (its map management system) on the Garmin website. Can anyone help? Will ask Garmin tomorrow - but a member might have a quick answer! Thanks very much.
Megan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troopyman - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 23:07

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 23:07
Just bought one myself . Just a help file on the basecamp toolbar thats next to useless . What do you want to know ?
AnswerID: 365138

Follow Up By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 10:04

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 10:04
Thanks for responding. I guess we expected a tutorial or a decent help file. Looks like we'll just have to work our way through it - good thing we've got a couple of weeks before we leave!

We suspect there must be more to the product than first meets the eye - hoping so, anyway.

Megan
FollowupID: 632825

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 04:27

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 04:27
Megan

I use Mapsource, with my Garmin Etrek Legend, and it's basemaps are fine..

Have just purchased a Magellan, Explorist, and trust me,the basemaps are crap. Thank heavens the SD card supplied, had a lot of info on them, and I can call them up.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 365154

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 11:03

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 11:03
Hi - think you are confusing basemaps with BaseCamp. BaseCamp is Garmins latest mapping program that comes with the Topo Australia product (DVD version) or you can download it. You can still use Mapsource for Topo Australia but it doesnt have the 3D functionality. Other map products (eg shonky, Oztopo) wont work with BaseCamp.

I found the included help file useful...not sure a user manual would provide any addiotional info. The mapsource user manual is only 23 pages and is just a copy of the help file in most respects.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 632847

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 09:48

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 09:48
Hi Megan
I wanted to get the DVD, but at the time is was on back order and purchased the SD Card version instead. My first try out with it was over Easter up in the back blocks of Lindsay Island in the Murray-Sunset National Park. I always use OziExplorer on the Laptop with the 1:250,0000 Natmap Raster Maps, which we think is just fantastic.

So what did I think of Topo Australia loaded into my Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx when run along slide my laptop running Ozi - well I think it was fantastic - 10/10. The topo maps on Ozi said that we were travelling cross country (and yes I am running the latest 2008 Map Series), while Topo Australia on the Garmin said and named the correct track that we were following on Lindsay Island.

It will get a real test out very soon, when we are heading for some very remote tracks in the Great Victoria Desert in WA. By then I will have bitten the bullet, as I am also getting a new Garmin Nuvi 5000 with the large 5" screen and will be running Topo Australia in it along side of Ozi, so that will be a realy great test.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 365190

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 17:47

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 17:47
Hmm, just tried to locate Mt Arbuckle in Vic on it and no luck. Bit disappointing. A friend mentioned another and major error.

Course every map has errors.
FollowupID: 632903

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 18:17

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 18:17
Hi Sigmund
If that is the case, yes it would be disappointing. Like I said I have only tried on Lindsay Island, works a treat compared to the Natmap Raster series in Ozi.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 632910

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 19:57

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 19:57
Sigmund
I have just tried to locate in on both the 2008 Natmap Raster Map and the Topo Australia Map. They both have Arbuckle Junction but not Mount Arbuckle on either. I even did a google and it is mentioned in name only on the Parks Victoria Maps, but again does not show its location. Seeing that it is not on any of the 3 maps, it must not be accessible by vehicle, only by foot so what is the major error?? I still think that is a great map for the GPS, so why would you be dissapointed?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 632936

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 21:54

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 21:54
The major error I mentioned was a different one and I'm following up on that.

Yes it's a great mapset but like any map, with critical navigation you can't assume perfection.

I'm a bushwalker so 'only by foot' assumes some significance.

FollowupID: 632965

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 11:09

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 11:09
Hello

The forum on this website is a wealth of information.

gpsAustralia

Basecamp has just come out so not much discussion on it but principles are very similar to Mapsource so if a problem arises someone here is likely to be able to help.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 365198

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 11:45

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 11:45
Thanks for the contributions - all very interesting and appreciated. We have trawled through many threads on this and other sites and we are slowly getting there. BUT - wouldn't it be nice if there was some clear documentation - or tutorials! Yes - I could do some documentation but really I think I will be so mentally exhausted that I might not survive my "holiday" in the desert.
Many thanks
Megan and Kevin
AnswerID: 365360

Sponsored Links