Information request- Tablelands Highway N.T.

Submitted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:37
ThreadID: 69015 Views:2779 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Leaving Friday for the N.T.

Will go up via Bourke, Longreach, to Barkley Homestead, and then thinking about turning off and heading north on the Tablelands Highway to Cape Crawford, before turning west again.

We did this road five years ago towing a single axle van and found that the grooves in the road from overladen trucks caused some concern as the wheels of the van would tend to follow.

This meant that I had to drive the whole distance, as difficult wasn't the word, and the other driver would not attempt to take over.

Has anything improvements been done, and is fuel still available at Cape Crawford. I know I'll get slugged for it at Barkley & at the Cape, any prices known?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:12

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:12
Gooday Richard,
the road between Barkly HS and CC is single lane bitumen but in pretty good nick. Late last year fuel was cheaper at Cammoweal than either BH or CC. CC was cheaper than Barkly H. Sorry, can't give you current prices. Last time I phoned them, both refused to give prices over the phone. Depends who you strike when you phone; usually staff will tell you, but I got the boss (BH) last time, and he just didn't want to know...... so to speak.

Last I heard the road between CC and Daly Waters was OK too. Again, mostly its single lane bitumen.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 365874

Reply By: handy - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 07:29

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 07:29
just came back from that way a few weeks ago, diesel was 2.20 a litre and he had none till the week after. i never rely on cape crawford for anything as i have seen to many people caught out.
ctn of cold cans was $68. strongbow cider $108.

barkly was $1.62 for diesel which thought was pretty good,
beware of bridge crossing once you leave barkly as there is a bit washed out but not to bad, they might even be fixed by now.

cheers
AnswerID: 365931

Follow Up By: handy - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:34

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:34
that was meant to read gold cans
FollowupID: 633659

Reply By: kiwicol - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:08

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:08
why do you think it was overladen trucks causing road failure, ever thought it may have been roads not improved as vehicle weights increased and the amount of volume increased, roads do wear out over time from use. Col
AnswerID: 366247

Sponsored Links