Klaus's Cobb Cover

Submitted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 23:26
ThreadID: 69054 Views:3353 Replies:11 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Got a mail from Klaus at InFront Camping today as follows...

"hi
had a call from Cobb today
someone complained that their cobb cooker lid cracked
and cobb seem to believe that it is due to the thermal cover
they now want me to remove the words cobb from any of the products that we make
i thought that the lid was s/steel?
can you ask the exploroz people if they have heard anything please?
cheers
klaus "

Can anyone add anything to this for Klaus please contact him on contactus@infrontcampinggear.com.au

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 07:32

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 07:32
Sounds like a load of rubbish to me Wayne. The cover doesn't trap the heat at all. It is open at the top and allows the heat to escape through the holes in the lid. The lid itself is spun steel and I could see no way that you would crack it through heat unless it was red hot and dropped into cold water or dropped.

I spoke with Klaus as I am picking up some stuff today and they have not sent him any "formal" complaint and as yet haven't substantiated this allegation in written form. Klaus asked them for a formal request by way of letter or email including full details of the incident. He has also offered recompense to the individual if Cobb will identify them.

Can't believe it myself. I've had no issues what so ever and it has only served to improve the efficiency of the unit. I would love to actually see what type of heat would "Crack" a cobb cover. If it was possible, I'd suggest that it was being used well outside the advised operating specs. Heavens to be that it might be a "non genuine" cheap Chinese import that they are talking about here. Wonder where Cobb are actually manufacturing their products at the moment....hmmmm that it's be an interesting question to ask them.

My ten cents worth. Only to happy to speak with Cobb myself.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 366086

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 07:41

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 07:41
My Cobb just arrived 2 days ago.

Made in China.
FollowupID: 633813

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 07:51

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 07:51
I think someone is telling porkies.

In Front Camping do produce a thermal cover which insulates the lid, but I doubt most severely that any extra heat could cause the stainless steel lid to crack.

Boy, if it was getting that hot, the canvas would burn before the lid cracked.

I would imagine the thermal cover would only be used in an exposed environment, such as a boat, etc. and would not be required for most camping situations.

The bra however is very practical and is permanently resident inside my Cobb.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 366093

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 07:51

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 07:51
Yep my thoughts too Mick.
I haven't got the thermal cover but i fail to see how it would cause the alleged damage as stated by Cobb.

Luckily they seem to have become a paying advertiser here, these days, so maybe they'll jump in and enlighten us on the type of metallurgy that is involved in the manufacture of their lids which fail under these conditions.

Having not seen the original message from Cobb, I suppose it could be a case of misunderstanding. though Klaus seems to have a fairly good grasp of the English language....

Other possibilities occur to me as well, from my past experiences with the Sinclairs but let's see how this plays out.

AnswerID: 366094

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 08:10

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 08:10
Klaus has renamed his products as below

"thank you
i have changed the name on our w/site to portable cooker and cobra "

The Cobra is a variation of the name i gave it (CobBra) when Klaus first made it so they can't touch that at least.
FollowupID: 633818

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 08:49

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 08:49
Hmmm ... interesting. I was going to the Maitland 4WD Show this weekend with an interest in a Cobb Cooker. With this "revelation" I may either hold off buying it, or buy a Cook Pot.

If they are being pig headed about using the word "Cobb", it may well have cost them a sale if the lid did crack.

I have some of Klaus' product and cannot speak more highly about his stuff, as well as his "after sales" service.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 366100

Follow Up By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 09:59

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 09:59
I just got a Cobb Cooker the other day off ebay. The bloke I purchased it off is a supplier/builder of pontoon boats and he used to stock the Cobb and sell them to buyers of his boats.

Recently he has been informed by Cobb that they are now only dealing through a major chain, my understanding is that is BCF and Rays Outdoors so he could no longer stock them.

The result was great for me because I picked up a brand new Cobb $70 less then retail.

It would appear that Cobb are becoming very conscious of their "brand".
FollowupID: 633831

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 13:25

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 13:25
"Recently he has been informed by Cobb that they are now only dealing through a major chain, my understanding is that is BCF and Rays Outdoors so he could no longer stock them."

Thas sounds right.

Snowys in SA is running out their stock at the moment (and have a 20% off sale on right now) so if you want a cheap one they may be worth a visit.
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

FollowupID: 633870

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:20

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:20
Yes, Ray's Outdoors are now the "official" Australian distributors for the Cobb Cooker.

But how about this.
You can also buy the Cobb Cooker from Anaconda for a very competitive price. They import their product direct from overseas and therefore bypass Cobb Australia.

Cobb Australia are being a bit pedantic methinks and their approach may well backfire on them.

Snowy's have been a supplier of the Cobb brand for many years.
I bought my original Mark II from them and also upgraded to the "Premium" model, by purchase of he stainless steel mesh base after the plastic one broke.

Cobb Australia are not doing themselves any favor crapping on a reliable distributor.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 633951

Follow Up By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 16:11

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 16:11
Wanted to buy a "fiddle" and contacted Rays and BCF and suprisingly they don't stock that partricular accessory......they will order it in special but won't stock it....
FollowupID: 634074

Reply By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 09:28

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 09:28
Are the Bra's the same as the insulating sock that Cobb sells?
AnswerID: 366108

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 10:41

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 10:41
Yes Cram, but at the time, Cobb didn't make anything to resolve the heat loss issues due to wind. You shouldn't need it was their reply. Klaus made these things well before Cobb. road tested them all including the thermal cover. All excellent concepts that worked exceptionally well.

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 633836

Follow Up By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 10:48

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 10:48
Thanks Mick, I will buy from Klaus when I am ready to get one. I have had a look at this site and he has great stuff at reasonable prices.

I am more then happy to support local people having a go rather then buying from chinese made suppliers.

FollowupID: 633837

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:04

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:04
Cram,
The bra goes around the mesh base to stop heat loss from the fire-box area due to the effects of, for example, a cooling wind

The thermal cover goes over the lid to contain the heat in the cooking region and those that have them (Mick O etc) are pleased with their effectiveness.

A few years back and at about the same time Klaus developed the Bra, I spoke at a show with Cobb's Brian Sinclair about Klaus's CobBra and he said they were just then developing a product made from wetsuit type material.
This pulls down over the lid and holds onto the base as well. This was going to be useful for those times when the Cobb is hanging over the side of a boat as the lid is held in place during wave action etc.

I didn't check to see if this product went any further than development stage, is this the sock you are talking about, if so I can't see it being any less damaging than a loose-ish canvas cover. It all smacks of market protection to me but then again i am a cynic....
FollowupID: 633842

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:09

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:09
PS there is a Picture of a CobBra in my profile
FollowupID: 633844

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:23

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:23
Wonder if it was one of those chinese imports alledgedly being sold by a camping store chain. That Cobb distanced themselves from.
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 366140

Follow Up By: Member - Bentaxle - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 13:08

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 13:08
Cobb also market a cover ( Cobb Bra ) themselves its made from westsuit material - so what are they on about
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 634050

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 13:59

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 13:59
Another Mail from Klaus quoted below.

"hi
Lynn and I have been reading your support in this matter, its great
I have also taken out the word Dreampot as they will be the next to say something

we had about 2 years ago a call from the USA from the people that make HI-LIFT jack bags and they said at the time we could use that name as they had that registered.

oh also the fax i was waiting from Cobb never came, the guy said he would send it to me in the afternoon.

At least things have been changed, so they can't do anything to us, as he was talking in refernce to legal stuff, which i don't need.
thank all the people for their support and getting rather fiery over it
cheers
klaus "
AnswerID: 366170

Reply By: olddigger - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 15:36

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 15:36
Just been to Anaconda. They're selling what the sale brochure calls genuine Cobb Premiums for $195, or 25 per cent off.
I'm in Perth, but presumably this is a national sale.
Cheers
AnswerID: 366185

Reply By: brushmarx - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:13

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:13
We nuked our Cobb by leaving the lid in after removing the roast. It was fitted with a cover. The inside of the cover charred to a black dust, but the lid did not crack. This was using the cobblestone fuel thingies which appear to put out more heat than the smaller heat beads.
Can't fault the service or speed from Cobb in replacing the melted parts (at our expense) as we (I) did the male thing and didn't read the instructions.
Cheers
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 366220

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:30

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:30
Sounds like crap by Cobb, Cracked lid caused by a cover indeed!!!

Klaus and Lyn are two of the hardest working and nicest people I have come across in many years.
I needed a few things the other week in a bit of a hurry as I'm leaving shortly on my trip, nothing was to much trouble for them.
Klaus made me up a special bag for my laptop so it can be mounted behind the seat, the finished product was perfect.

Its good to find a small business that still knows how to make great stuff and at very good prices.

No affiliation other than a very happy customer!!
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 366228

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:37

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:37
Obviouisely it's your fault John that I can't get Klaus and Lyn to make my bag for between the seats. Too busy they said as some bloke wanted rush orders. Damn! Have a great trip. I'm off on Wednesday myself and have to pick up a few last minute things from InFront. Another very happy customer.

Cheers Mick.
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 633925

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:46

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 18:46
Yeah Mick blame me, everyone else does and I have broad shoulders so i can handle it :-))

Your name came up in my conversation with Klaus last week and I said don't worry about his stuff mine is more important :-))

Nah!! just crapping although Klaus was moaning about your new rear wheel rubbish bag, said it had so many straps there would be no room for the rubbish.

Where you headed this time?
We may cross paths I'm on the CSR from 1st to 20th June, then further north etc.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 633930

Reply By: Ozboc - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 19:59

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 19:59
Im sure any legal eagles will correct me - BUT he can not get into trouble if he states these covers are to FIT a Cobb Cooker - He JUST CANT USE THE Registered name NOR reproduce the TM Logo

I had this issue with my yellow pages add a few years back - where i stated i can fix "X" brands machinery - as it was only in name and not using there registered logo's nor claiming to be a registered agent / dealer - they could not do a thing about it

Boc
AnswerID: 366246

Sponsored Links