National Park Approved Generators

Submitted: Monday, May 25, 2009 at 12:34
ThreadID: 69158 Views:7030 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have purchased one of the honda generators that are marketed as being national park approved - yet every national park we have stayed in has a ban on using generators. Can someone please clarify what the go is
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 13:02

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 13:02
"Generators are banned in National Parks", seems pretty clear to me.

What Honda claim is for them to prove, suggest you contact Honda Customer Relations.
AnswerID: 366610

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Monday, May 25, 2009 at 13:09

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 13:09
Most National Parks in Aus ban generators, in particular when a large number of campers are present in the one location due to noise problems. In Vic state forests have no such bans (unless total fire ban day) but I reckon if you are camped in an area by yourself (or with friends) then use it.
No generator is silent and people really arc up when you pull your genny out and start to set it up. I have a 1KV Honda and we only use it in the daytime and only for a few hours to top up the battery unless we are away on our own.

Because of the problems we are now looking at the solar panel option (no noise whatsoever to disturb the peace)

Most dual battery systems give you a weekend without needing to charge them and we now use LED independent lights for the Tent, CT and around the Camp-site to help the batteries.
Even bought a rechargable IPod docking station so we wouldn't need to run the accessory ign and car radio. (sigh: sign of the times)
AnswerID: 366612

Reply By: Moose - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 13:25

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 13:25
Did the marketing material you saw say which country's National Parks their gennys are approved for? May well be approved in OS countries!
I thought some of our NPs allowed their use at certain times of the day??
AnswerID: 366613

Reply By: The Top End Explorer - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 13:29

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 13:29
Some camping site's in Kakadu have gen set area's set aside.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 366614

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 14:59

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 14:59
same with Karijini

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 634348

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 15:05

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 15:05
I have never seen a NP that approves some gen sets and not others. Some WA parks also have gen. camping areas and non-gen. areas.

I am one of those who detests them, and we don't carry one. We charge via the alternator and by a large solar bank, but that is expensive to set up.
If you must have one, buy a small 4 stroke Honda plus a ood quality 240V charger that you can run from it to charge the batteries. The DC output of most gen sets is way too small and requires running the gen set for a long time.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 366621

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 15:21

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 15:21
We carried a small Yamaha generator that ran rather quietly.
Same output as the honda noise wise but were unable to use it in N/parks etc so upgraded to solar and a good dual battery system.
We also found that carrying the extra fuel was a prob as we always seemed to run out at the most inconvenient time.
Also realised that at night we hunted the animals away because of the noise making it impossible to tree spot them.

I have since grown to dislike the generator because of inconsiderate people. However I do understand that there are those because of health reasons must have them.

In short we camp away from a generator if possible.
And hope that those who use them do so with discretion.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 366623

Follow Up By: Time - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 15:46

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 15:46
Was at a remote campsite, with others around, one night. An inconsiderate clod had his gen going well past 10 pm, was getting ready to "have a chat" when it stopped.

Found out the next morning that a fellow camper had deposited into a nearby creek!

Hope the lesson was learnt!
FollowupID: 634349

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 15:38

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 15:38
Google is your friend
This link
Link quoted here
Spark Arrester
Both the EU1000i and EU2000i Honda generators are equipped with United States Department of Agriculture qualified spark arresters to help prevent fires and meet National Park operation requirements.

This link
Link
is quoted here:

Honda generators are the most popular generators in the world's consumer market. Whether you are looking for a generator to take camping or a generator to run heavy construction equipment, Honda has what you need. Honda Generators truly have set the standard for portable power technology for years. One of the most unique designs is the inverter design which allows the Honda EU1000 to offer 1000 Watts of power at less than 30 lbs! Honda has always been known to have the most quiet generators on the market, and in some national parks, only Honda generators are allowed. They have also set the industry standard in durability and reliability, and are the most common brand of generators found on construction sites.

Then this

link
National park rules say that a generator should be 72 decibels or less at 10 feet.

But they all all for the US market.
AnswerID: 366625

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 16:46

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 16:46
Hi Kirsti,
The first place I'd start is calling the National Parks authority in the states you want to visit, or jump on their web sites - you'll soon learn if you have been "sold".
Cheers
Alex B
Enjoy everyday, make your own luck & help a few along the way.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 366633

Reply By: TOOLEY - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 22:25

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 22:25
Hi Kristi_t, I work for the Department of Environment & Conservation (DEC) we manage national parks in WA.
I look after the Kennedy Range NP & we allow generators, they need to be turned off before 8pm
Cheers Tooley

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 366731

Follow Up By: Gronk - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 00:55

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 00:55
Even though I have a dislike for them also...it's good to see some rules at least, for the places that allow them.....although I personally think 6pm is a better time...
FollowupID: 634441

Sponsored Links