Undertray drawer and water tank Landcruiser V8

Submitted: Monday, May 25, 2009 at 20:58
ThreadID: 69177 Views:9851 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
First post - new member. Setting up a trayback with desert trips in mind. I have found already that whatever you do limits what you can do next so want to tackle two things at the same time. Have the factory heavy duty steel tray with wooden floor. Looking to fit an undertray drawer of 1.5 metre with a water tank in front of it taking up roughly 900 mm. Want to get the best use of the space. Space roughly 2.4 m x 900 mm x 170 mm. If the water tank was custom made it could be a fair bit deeper for part of its length. Leaning towards a Trundle tray or similar with a custom made stainless steel tank. Prefer they be attached to the framework of the tray and not use bolts through the wooden floor.

Any recommendations?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: offroad Bob - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 21:15

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 21:15
Hi Flynnie

I have a under tray water tank for my V8 Landcruiser ute. Purchased from Camec. 70litres. Fits just neat - 820w x 530 x 170h. I made up some straps that attach to the tray cross members. Bit tricky to slide it in from the rear where the spare tyre sits. Been there for a year now and done lots of 4x4 in some rough country. I have an electric pump and tap at the rear.

Bob.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 366703

Follow Up By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:23

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:23
Thanks Bob

I may go that way. I think I could get 4 under the tray. Could not find that exact size on the internet. Could you point me in the right direction? Found similar sizes though. Found similar Camel brand water tanks just a little deeper at 180mm. That extra 10mm would probably mean I could only fit them between the second and third crossmember, roughly above and a bit behind the rear wheels.

Will try and find a fabricator around Tamworth who can make a stainless steel tank. If I have no luck I will look hard at the various plastic tank options.

FollowupID: 634707

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:29

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:29
Flynnie,

Try Obieco Industries in Tamworth They could possibly help you out with your ideas.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 634708

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 23:08

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 23:08
I have two of the Goughs Plastics 70litre under tray water tanks occupying the full length of my undertray area and plumbed with two taps (gravity fed).

What I like about the Goughs tank:
- Strongest plastic I've seen and well braced in the middle
- Only 110mm deep so you don't have to lift the tray - it has good clearance from the exhaust. I haven't bothered with a shield.
- Three brass outlets
- Bolts up to underside of tray - no need for straps or chassis mounts

What I didn't like:
- The price - $565 each including tap, pipes etc
- The tubing they supplied leaves a plastic taste - I replaced all tubing with Nylex water hose, and both tanks deliver perfect water. If I bought again, I'd try to buy the bare tank without the hose kit.

I wanted the best undertray water tank I could find. It also ended up being very expensive but I don't like the thought of losing all my water out in the desert.

I thought long and hard about having the tank up front and a drawer at the back. But there were too many downsides to the rear drawer. Very expensive; unable to seal it against the dust, mud etc; and it was a lot of trouble for very little extra storage when I have a big sealed canopy on the back.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 366738

Follow Up By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:55

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:55
Thanks Phil

Read your earlier posts and am very impressed with your setup and hope one day to fit something similar to mine. For now I have to keep the tray clear of fixtures like permanent tool boxes or touring canopies and I have to make good use of the room underneath the tray, if I can.

I am undecided on the sliding drawer. I take your point that it is a very expensive way of adding only a small volume of storage. But I do need somewhere for some smaller items and recovery gear that I don't want in the cabin or in a tool box. Have not yet seen any comment on someone who actually fitted one. What concerns me most is durability over long corrugated roads. One option would be to enclose that space roughly where the spare tyre usually is, mine are on the headboard, and make it a lockable area and to use the space forward of that for water tanks.

The Gough tanks look good. I have enough room for something a bit deeper than the 110 mm but will sure keep them in mind.

FollowupID: 634714

Reply By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:00

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:00
Hi Flynnie
I have 2 x SS water tanks about 55 ltr each mounted under tray and a full slide out draw I built myself, I have designed a double seal for the draw and after many dusty trips ( Simpson desert, Anne Beadell, Connie Sue, Hay river, etc ) havn't got any dust in the draw as yet.
Mine is a 2006 TD last model before the V8. The space under the tray would be the same I would expect.
If you are interested I could try and post or e-mail you some photos ?

Cheers
Barry
AnswerID: 367035

Follow Up By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:14

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:14
Thanks Barry

Could you please email me some pictures of you setup

Email address is peteraflynn@bigpond.com
FollowupID: 634723

Follow Up By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 13:38

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 13:38
Thanks Barry

The pictures and explanation of your setup were great. I will have a go at doing something similar. First the water tanks and later the drawer.

Flynnie
FollowupID: 635380

Sponsored Links