Pajero NL 1998

Submitted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 21:51
ThreadID: 69249 Views:4935 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Bought Pajero some 6 months ago with 145000kms and within 3 months I have replaced just about every component in the front end and yet still find it some how very light, unsteady driving. Also bought new bridgestone (light truck) tyres and I only have left to replace is the shocks. No very happy as I also installed LPG system on it thinking to keep it for long time. Very disappointed with the vehicle (drives well but) Recently I have asked people driving the same and seems that some people thinks the same. Also have the same response by the service Manager at Mistsubishi in Apsley, Qld. Could anybody help me with some feedback as I would like to fix the problem.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:24

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:24
Does it wander all over the road after hitting a bump? Shocks.
Does it drive like it's going it's own way ? Tyre pressures, bent chassis etc... etc..
Disclaimer:
I'm not a mechanic nor do I claim an intimate knowledge of this particular vehicle. But I do have a bit of experience with motor vehicles and their problems.
AnswerID: 367080

Follow Up By: Clemi - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:21

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:21
Hi there, I really appreciate your input and I am amazed the response of this community. I had this experience today; on my way to work I was driving through Gympie road in an area were there is quite a few bends and yet speed limit is 100kph and taking these smooth bends at that speed I would usually make a small correction which normally I know it will follow "this bend" but still I need that further movement as she still goes towards next line??? it feels as if the steering box let go with a mind of its own. At times as I slow down for example in to a traffic lights going in to red I am in the middle of the line keeping the steering straight but as the car gets in to those different bumps of a road that needs attention I can feel on the steering how the wheels move towards the right or left depending were the grroves are taking the car. Somebody suggested Richard from Albion and I think I will call him first thing in the morning. Thank you so much... Clemi
FollowupID: 634946

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:44

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:44
In my experience this suggests tyres over inflated, or wheel alignment (toe in angle).
I certainly hope that you get it sorted.
Yes they're a great bunch :))
FollowupID: 634958

Reply By: Rossc0 - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:27

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:27
If it wanders after fitting new shocks try a return to center steering dampener.

Also make sure your alignment is correct and no movement between suspension components.

Cheers
Ross
AnswerID: 367081

Follow Up By: Clemi - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:23

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:23
Hi there, I really appreciate your input and I am amazed the response of this community. I had this experience today; on my way to work I was driving through Gympie road in an area were there is quite a few bends and yet speed limit is 100kph and taking these smooth bends at that speed I would usually make a small correction which normally I know it will follow "this bend" but still I need that further movement as she still goes towards next line??? it feels as if the steering box let go with a mind of its own. At times as I slow down for example in to a traffic lights going in to red I am in the middle of the line keeping the steering straight but as the car gets in to those different bumps of a road that needs attention I can feel on the steering how the wheels move towards the right or left depending were the grroves are taking the car. Somebody suggested Richard from Albion and I think I will call him first thing in the morning. Thank you so much... Clemi
FollowupID: 634948

Reply By: zacc - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:44

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:44
i have owned an nl before . i found it to be a great car . mine never wondered was pretty pockie power wise and good on fuel . now i have a nm and that does not have the same power or economy and it seems to be a bit wayward on the road . so to me the nl was a better vehicle .
AnswerID: 367086

Reply By: saltwatertrekker - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 23:15

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 23:15
2005 t/d triton 80000ks motor blew up 150000ks motor blew up all due to overheating wich the dealer said there ment to (full of bleep ) they tried to charge me butgot the media involved so all free and i had a warrenty also they had my car all up 2 months and as an explorer i lost a lot of contracts , beleive me they want your money then after that they dont care, look at how meny mits also have faded paint jobs
AnswerID: 367096

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 06:13

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 06:13
Make sure you get a wheel alignment including the rear. Most places said they couldn't do the rear but this proved essential for me when it was done. Cost me a set of tyres first though. Mine was out from new.

Neil
AnswerID: 367105

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 07:52

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 07:52
Might be worth giving Richard at Motorcare in Albion a call. He knows these things backwards.
AnswerID: 367109

Follow Up By: Clemi - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:25

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:25
FollowupID: 634949

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 08:03

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 08:03
Clemi
We had an NL 2.8 Diesel for over 9 years since new. It was a top vehicle. Had a few minor issues, but was a great vehicle to drive.
Something seems out of order with your vehicle, it should not be like that.

All the best and I hope it is something simple.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 367111

Follow Up By: Clemi - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:27

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:27
FollowupID: 634951

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 08:42

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 08:42
Clemi,

Not quite sure what you mean by light and unsteady?

Sorry, rephrase that, I know what light and unsteady means in the front end, I have a 74 beetle, it does wonder in a light cross breeze and feels light in the front, well it doesn't have any weight in the front :o)

I have a 96 NJ (320,000k) owned since new, and before that I had a 85 NB (330,000k) owned since new, and the power steering in the pajeros does give a light feel. Trying to work out if your is abnormal. You suggest it is. Some of this is obvious, so sorry about that, but not sure about you car knowledge.

What did you have before that, that you are comparing it too?
Have you driven other series 2 pajeros to compare it to, you mention others with pajs driving it?

Unsteady? Does it wonder easily, or does it move around over bumps, or does it tram rail easily on uneven bitumen?
Mine does feel light normally, but if you minimise input, it stays in a straight line pretty well. High tyre pressures give a light feel. Standard tyres try about 32 psi in the front. Mitsu recommend 26 from memory, but they scrub out and fuel consumption improves with 32.

Is the front suspension height set correctly?
Uneven height one side to the other affects handling. A good tyre place doing a wheel alignment should check suspension height each side and adjust to the same before starting the wheel alignment.
There should be clearance at the top and bottom bump stops on the A arms. Should be about the same at the top and bottom, and side to side. Some people wind up the front suspension for clearance and this limits droop, and can give a funny (choppy) ride.

I am a bit fussy about shocks, like to keep them reasonably good. Yes, shocks do affect the handling of the paj alot in the front. Starts feeling soft and spongy in the front with worn shocks, especially if pushing it around the corners. I usually replace mine about every 60,000 to 80,000 in the front, and about 100 to 120000 in the rear. Some friends only do the front every 100 to 150000. The front shocks are only short and are mounted 1/3rd up the A arm, so they don't get much time and distance to react to bumps etc, so good condition shocks help.

Always found the paj needs regular front wheel alignment with the independent front end. Every 10,000 to 20,000k. depends on how hard you have been pushing it off and on road. If you have different camber one side to the other, it will wonder more. Found most tyre places do not like adjusting camber at a wheel alignment. I ask to set mine up with less positive camber, 0.5 to 1.5 deg positive is standard. I try and get mine as near to 0 as possible. You can adjust camber at the top A arm by putting spacers in. Wheel alignment places charge an extra $20.00 or so to do this. Standard bolts are not long enough to get 0 or negative camber. But the car will wonder a little more with negative camber. If you have negative camber at the front, you have worn bushes, most probably top A arm bushes. Just replaced my original bushes at 310,000k, so they take a while to wear.

Get a check at a good wheel alignment/suspension place like Fulcrum? Found they will give you a long list of problems hoping for the work. Good people, and fussy, but I get the basic work done by my local mechanic or do it myself.
Do not try the local Mitsu dealer.
Give Richard a ring at Motorcare at Albion? 3252 4039. He has been a pajero owner for years. Has contacts with the Qld Mitsubishi club. Known Richard for years, don't use him much since I am on the south side, and he is not cheap, but he knows his pajeros.

All I can suggest for now. Hope it works out for you.
AnswerID: 367116

Follow Up By: Clemi - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:37

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:37
Hi there, I really appreciate your input and I am amazed the response of this community. I had this experience today; on my way to work I was driving through Gympie road in an area were there is quite a few bends and yet speed limit is 100kph and taking these smooth bends at that speed I would usually make a small correction which normally I know it will follow "this bend" but still I need that further movement as she still goes towards next line??? it feels as if the steering box let go with a mind of its own. At times as I slow down for example in to a traffic lights going in to red I am in the middle of the line keeping the steering straight but as the car gets in to uneven bitumen and those different bumps of a road that needs attention I can feel on the steering how the wheels move towards the right or left depending were the grroves are taking the car. You have suggested Richard from Albion and I think I will call him first thing in the morning. Thank you so much... Clemi PS I wouldn't mind keeping in touch
FollowupID: 634955

Reply By: Rhys - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 09:34

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 09:34
Check the rear sway bar bushes and the control arms bushes for the rear axle if either of these are worn it will make the car feel "light" and you are constantly "chasing" or correcting the steering. Also try this link the may be able to give more specific advice about your car, Rhys.
Pajero Club forum
AnswerID: 367127

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:39

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:39
Could be the front wheels are toeing OUT instead of IN

Makes cars wander especially when braking and slowing down like at the lights .

AnswerID: 367252

Sponsored Links