Funny things you've seen in your travels...

Submitted: Friday, May 29, 2009 at 11:09
ThreadID: 69294 Views:3809 Replies:12 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
No real purpose for this thread, maybe a few laughs to be had.

Was just replying to the 'stuck on Stuart hwy' thread and remembered this so though I'd start a new thread.

We were having a break and stretch parked in a beach side carpark at Green Head, north of Jurien Bay, our destination for the day. There was a large group of elderly folk on a tour having a break also. Anyway, one old dear decides she's going to wander down the beach and touch the Indian Ocean (my presumption... and something I'd do too!). She bent down and fell face first into the water. We were a fair way away and I handed my camera and bag to my wife (after deciding not to take a picture!!) to go to her aid however the bus driver and another were already nearly there. What followed was even funnier as they all staggered about in the water trying to stand up.

In hindsight it could have been quite serious if the lady had have taken a mouthful of seawater and sand in the initial fall however thankfully it ended without too much drama. The bus driver had to empty the baggage locker to get her bag out so she could get changed.

Nige.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 11:53

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 11:53
In 2005 - we were heading in to camp at 80 Mile Beach on the WA coast - it had been raining quite a bit - and we just wanted to get off the road for a couple of days - anyway as we turned into the driveway there was a red Magna pulled up and beside the gate in full view was a woman with her skirt up, nickers down having a squat - not behind a tree - in plain view of anyone and everyone.
Also going in the driveway was potholed with the holes full of water - no problem - but as we came to one on the other side was a little sporty car with the driver standing out scratching his head - he was heading out back to Karratha - his car had broken down about half way down the drive, which is 9k long I think, anyway we offered to take his girlfriend back to ring for help - of course our car was loaded to the hilt - so she sat on the seat and I sat on her knee, I am pretty short, all the way - every time we hit a bump the pair of us would jump - me hitting the roof - a real lark.
Lots of other stories but won't go on.
jules
AnswerID: 367376

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:58

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 12:58
Hi Nige
I do not know if this is funny of just very dangerous. A good number of years ago travelling the Bruce Highway towards Cairns, south of Ayr, a Range Rover towing a tandem was coming towards us. As the Vehicle and trailer came closer, the trailer decides to come towards us across the road, having departed from the Rangie. Jamming the brakes on, the trailer kept on going, knocking down a few small sapling as it sailed through the bush. Looking into our rear view mirror, the Range Rover disappeared out of view never to be seen again. Counting our lucky starts, we sat on the side of the road for a few minutes composing ourselves, expecting to see the Rangie coming back to look for his lost tandem trailer. Continuing again, the topic for the next hour or so was how lucky we were, it could have been a family of 5 wiped out so very quick and easy. We even had a few laughs at the look on the persons face when he got to where he was going, only to find he had no trailer on his vehicle.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 367385

Follow Up By: Member - Donks1 (NSW) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:16

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:16
G'day Stephen

If that was a red Rangie, I actually did the recovery on it. About 2001 ???

The rangie only had a few 1000k's on it, the van even less. First outing.

They lived in Mackay

Donks1

FollowupID: 635087

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:05

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:05
Hi Donks
It was before then, back in 1988 and a White Range Rover. We still talk about it all these years later, just how lucky we were.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 635118

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 13:26

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 13:26
More in the realm of unusual. Whilst broken down on the Victoria Highway around a 100K out of Kunnunurra we ran into a fellow traveller! He was going home to Perth and had already done the East coast.

A most interesting encounter whilst waiting was a push bike rider that stopped for a chat. He had traveled over the Nullabor and was heading home, ironically we had passed him about 10K earlier – so even a pushy was quicker than us. He reckoned that we were doing it tough, not bad from a guy that looked to be in his sixties. Asked him if the traffic was a problem he reckoned not, mainly because he was flying a red wind sock about 2 meters above the bike – I guess the fact that he had made it this far was enough proof.

Image Could Not Be Found

Kind regards
AnswerID: 367388

Reply By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 13:42

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 13:42
All good yarns. See what you think of this one.

In 2000 I was driving from Daintree to Cooktown on that rough road that follows the coast and we happened upon a strange looking cafe by the side of the road made from concrete Besser blocks or some such thing. Maybe you know the place? Tables outside for diners and a sign warning 'NO DOGS'.

A rotty that had been resting got up and peed on the sign. I guess he was just 'expressing' himself.

AnswerID: 367392

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:53

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:53
Maybe the old take away in Ayton. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 635093

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 18:45

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 18:45
Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Ayton eh? Maybe. Not sure.

I tried looking Ayton up on Google Earth & to be honest nothing rang a bell. 2000 was too far back to remember anything & besides the Rottie probably wandered off long ago.

But jeeze we enjoyed our time up there. We shall return and spend much longer this time.

Cheers
FollowupID: 635276

Reply By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 13:47

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 13:47
Oodnadatta Track heading towards the Flinders we came across these two planes in the middle of nowhere
AnswerID: 367396

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 13:49

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 13:49
Ooops, forgot to add the picImage Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 635066

Follow Up By: takenbyaliens (QLD member) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 15:12

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 15:12
Yes interesting aren't they. Whole bunch of very unusual sculptures featuring among other things, a VW engine, a bus and a windmill. Have some pics but have not downloaded them yet. Some very clever stuff though.
According to modern astronomers, space is finite..a very comforting thought particularly for people who can never remember where they left things

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 635076

Follow Up By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:26

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:26
i remember the first time i saw that stuff, i could see it glittering about 10 k's away and wondered what it was- well when we got there our questions were answered.
FollowupID: 635126

Reply By: austastar - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 15:17

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 15:17
We were heading towards Birdsville (1976) and pulled the motor bike off on to the gibber plain, headed away from the track for a few 100m or so and found a spot to camp.
Set up tent, blew up lilos, started the choofa and thought a fire would be good.
Not much wood around, but a fallen tree was about 200m away. It had been a warm day, still very warm around camp, and to keep cool and save water from having to wash, all I was wearing was a pair of boots.
The sun was very low as I wandered off to fetch the wood,
Dragging the tree back, I didn't hear the car approaching till the horn was honking, and a mob of station hands yelling and yahooing out the open windows, no more than 50m away.
Trying to look as aboriginal as possible, I just kept dragging the tree.
After a day or so we pulled in to the Birdsville police station to report our arrival.
"Ah yes", he said, "you would be the bloke dragging the tree".
Guess I was the talk of the 'Gala session' that night.
AnswerID: 367407

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:10

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:10
One year we did the GRR and when we stayed at Drysdale Station, we took the scenic flight over the Mitchell falls etc.
Well the next morning we turned up at the appointed hour for take off and about the same time the pilot arrived.....
Image Could Not Be Found
As you can imagine the sight did not fill us with confidence and the look on our faces must have said it all....when he quickly said "err...this is not my vehicle but the station owners"
We were committed and it was a wonderful flight and he a very careful pilot.Image Could Not Be Found
So there was nothing to worry about...and you would not complain anyway...
Image Could Not Be Found
Look carefully at the centre of the picture which shows a rabbit trap with a red button glued the the trigger plate and it says " Complaints- press the red button"

It was a wonderful time and hope to back soon.

AnswerID: 367418

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:23

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:23
Gday
While working at" Munmalary" in NT we had three young chaps turn up wanting first aid. The fella in the back seat had shot himself in the foot.Butcher no 1 put some detol on a cotton bud and pushed it right through his foot. Bloke fell asleep almost instantly and so did one of his mates.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 367422

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 19:58

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 19:58
Stopped late one night in a roadside gravel pit a fair way off the road and out of site, next morning got up and went to shower (under bonnet Glind shower) not really knowing where we were exactly, I said "don't worry about the tent there is no-one within cooee and we shall be quick anyway". Well no sooner had my wife got the shampoo in the hair, a bloody school bus rocks up to do a u-turn, it was full of school kids absolutely in histerics and giving it to us with both barrells. Mongrel bus driver could have done the turn in one hit but ohhh no he had to make a spectacle of it and do it in a 3 point turn to take his time.

Wife has never let me live it down and still will not listen to my advice some 10 yrs later.

Enjoy!!
Trevor.
AnswerID: 367470

Reply By: toyocrusa - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:52

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:52
It's Jan 1982 and our first trip around OZ. Left Mt Isa early morning with 30 + temps. Stopped at Cloncurry and found a coin operated Ice machine on the footpath. Put my money in expecting a bag of ice to come out, a few clunks and then a gush of little ice blocks out all over the footpath. A couple of little indigenous kids appeared from nowhere and said, "hey mister, you have to take the bag out first and put it under the shute" Doh, next time read the instructions. I'm sure that was these kids entertainment,they sure knew how to scoop the ice up quickly. Bob.
AnswerID: 367481

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:04

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:04
Travelling through Central Australia in 1991 came across a Rambler Stationwagon with a 44 gallon drum and a pile of wood in a rack attached to the back.

It was a woodgas genenerator - no fuel costs - just stop to chop up some more firewood when the power drops !.
AnswerID: 367489

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 23:02

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 23:02
Ah yes, the water-gas generator. Was taught about these things in chemistry at school, and saw pics of them used during wartime when there were petrol shortages. Even have spotted a couple of discarded cylinders on a tip out in the bush. Apparently the gas was pretty dirty, and the dust took its toll on the life of the engine.
FollowupID: 635165

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 15:07

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 15:07
One morning I was heading toward Moree in North West NSW from Inverell.

Up ahead there's a caravan, nothing unusual in that you may say!

I was catching up with it at a rate of knots, that was unusual. As I get closer I spot a horse trailing along behind the caravan.

I gets a bit closer and the horse is all out of proportion! It's a bloody camel tied to the towel rail on the rear of the mid 70's Millard caravan.

I have to wait to overtake as there are a few cars coming the other way.

I pull out from behind the caravan and do a double take! Not only was the caravan towing a camel, it was being towed by two camels.

The caravan had 4 wheels under it in the gypsy wagon fashion. The owners had built a verandah on the front too.

Ma was sitting on a fruit box holding the rains and driving the bus, Pa had his foot on the hand rail sucking on a stubby.

I guess the camel on the back was in case on of the others got a flat!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 367934

Sponsored Links