Anderson plug oddity ...One for the electricians !!

Submitted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 11:23
ThreadID: 69359 Views:3276 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have an Anderson plug attached to my Solar Panel -
Yesterday I had 16.8 volts tested by multimeter across the Anderson plug - When I attached another device using identical Anderson Plug i lost 1 volt - Measured at the back of the plug directly touching the rear end of the contact pins .. Tried with several other plugs and all showed 16.8 volts - This one particular plug drops a volt on contact - most odd !!

Should I file the contact pin to get a better connection or just buy and fit 2 new pins ?

Anyone had this happen before ?

Cheers

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 11:41

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 11:41
Steve

NEVER file the contacts on an Anderson plug! They are silver plated to give a very good contact, and the wiping action as you connect and disconnect should keep them clean.

Why the voltage drop? Good question. The voltage from a solar panel will depend on the amount of sunlight and the current load. Could the variation be due to change in sunlight or shading while you were doing your measurements? Maybe a change of loading (say the fridge turned on) between your 2 measurements?

I'd be a bit concerned if you can measure 16.8V with a battery connected - that's too high for a battery.

HTH

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 367740

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 11:41

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 11:41
Hi Steve
I'm not sure of what you are saying. But first if the pins are not dirty or burnt DO not clean them.
If they are slightly dirty gently clean them, NO FILEl.
However I am not sure of exactly how/what you are testing.
Is the 16.8v reading taken @ the plug before the regulator & is battery connected, with the reg showing cuurent ??
What was the other devise & where did you connect it ?
AnswerID: 367741

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 11:44

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 11:44
" When I attached another device using identical Anderson Plug "

Can we have more info....what was pugged into your solar first?

What is the open circuit voltage...nothing plugged in ?

What did you plug in next...what was the second device?

Remember volt drop is a reponse to the load or current required by the device plugged in....eg...the greater the current required the more the supply volts will fall and vice versa.
AnswerID: 367742

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 11:44

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 11:44
Hi Steve
First do not file pins If they are dirty gently clean them.
However I'm not sure of what you are saying.
Is the 16.8v taken before the solar reg with the battery connected & drawing current from the panel??
What is the other devise & where are you connecting it?
AnswerID: 367743

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 12:27

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 12:27
Steve,

Try measuring your suspect connector using the continuity setting on your multimeter, to measure any resistance that may be present.
Measure from the contact surface of the pin to the rear. You should read zero, i.e. a dead short.

If the connector/wiring joint is soldered, or poorly crimped, you may have a high resistance joint. Or perhaps just the rear of the pin is dirty or has a resin coating.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 367747

Reply By: Mandrake - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 15:50

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 15:50
Sorry all and thanks for the replies -Promise I won't file off the silver !!

A bit clearer for you --

I got 16.8 volts on a direct connect to the panel - nothing else attached ..

Then I connected the regulator which has the "odd" Connector attached to it .

So I measured the voltage from the back of that connector actually touching the pins with the probes and got 15.6 volts !! So there was nothing in between just connector to connector and 1 lose 1.2 volts -

I have attached another Plug and did an identical read and got 16.8 v !!

So its the pins !! Bodgy pins..

Rgds

Steve
AnswerID: 367778

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:13

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:13
This is totally normal.

Solar Panels are "constant-current" sources, whereas most DC sources are constant voltage.

If you connect a solar panel directly (no regulator) to a 12 volt battery its voltage will drop to 14 volts.

If you connect the same panel to a 6 volt battery its voltage will drop to 7 volts.

It will charge both batteries at the same current.
AnswerID: 367808

Sponsored Links