Love it or hate it... sometimes ya just gotta laugh

Submitted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:28
ThreadID: 69383 Views:3254 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi gang, have heard a few members on here debating the merits, (or demerits!) of eBay... I won't go into that, but will confess to being an eBay-aholic! Just thought I'd relate 2 things that happened to me today concerning that 'place'.
A young fellow had listed a 'Caged Divider' for $10 starting price. As the description suggests, he didn't know what he was selling, so I won the bidding (only bidder), for a Cargo Barrier for the Jackaroo for $10. A trip to Sydney to pick it up made for a good day out. Met the young fellows mum, as he was working away from home, and while chatting with her, she asked me if we wanted 'that thing', and pointed. I had a look, asked her how much, and she said to just take it away. So I came home with the Cargo Barrier, and a perfectly good galvanized FRIDGE SLIDE, complete with straps for the princely sum of $10 plus fuel!
Also was going to bid on one of Derek's (ABR) compressors RRP $199.95 but some people with no knowledge of these things, bid it up to $305..... so I have just ordered it from his website, $199.95 + postage, maybe an ExplorOz members discount- who knows.
Some days you win..... 'Whacker
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:32

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:32
Mate...talk about being in the right place at the right time....you've done well.
AnswerID: 367812

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:52

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:52
I've been on there all day, just browsing for things. Have my daughter's crashed Holden Nova listed and have good responses so far. But then I found just what I needed - front bearing, seal and gasket kit for my IFS 4Runner, for the price I would pay for 1 bearing through our business account. I bought a near new Hi Lift jack a couple of years ago for $20. Cost me that in fuel to go to Gawler to pick it up. I nearly won a 2000+ year old ring on there, but got pipped at the post. Wanted it for my wife's birthday a few years ago. Never seen anything like it on there since but I'm still looking.

Only had 2 dramas on Ebay. 1 was with some 35mm SLR gear a sold, where the guy wanted a refund because a lens was cloudy, although I said it was. Second was when I sold some 50's Dodge parts. The person bid a good price and never paid. I still have them so I might list them tonight.

I just enjoy looking but there is some overpriced crap (and good stuff too) on there that's for sure. I had the same experience as you did with the compressor, but with something else. Got it for over $100 less that the finish price by buying off the guy's website.

Cheers

Louie
AnswerID: 367815

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 20:07

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 20:07
See that a bit on there(people running up high bids without checking RRP's), I thing most people think because its on ebay, it must be a bargain, without doing some back ground checks.
Was watching a genuine GU Nissan bonnet scoop a few months back.I got quoted $150 off Nissan for one, so decided to bid to $140.It sold for $325.
AnswerID: 367822

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 20:19

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 20:19
Yes, Nick, I always do a check on prices first, then factor in postage before I decide to bid. One other thing I consider, is whether the item may have to be returned for warranty...and the associated cost and hassle of that,,, some things are better off being bought locally. 'Whacker
FollowupID: 635428

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 20:26

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 20:26
Just got a reply from Derek... ExplorOz members price $200 inc postage.... having a good day! 'Whacker
AnswerID: 367827

Reply By: Jedo_03 - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 21:41

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 21:41
I'm an Ebay-holic too...
Have never been "done" yet - touch wood... But I've had some magnificent bargains and made some fantastic sales in my time...
Best "Deal" I ever had was to buy TWO NEW 50cc 4-stroke Quadrunners for the grandkids for the price of ONE from a seller in Kempsey... Seems he had bought a job-lot from a Chinese outlet and couldn't unload them and was GLAD to make a sale... That was 4 years ago and they are STILL going well (I on-sold them as the G'Kids outgrew them) and I still made a profit..!!
Best Sale I ever made was a Minolta Digital Camera (D7) to a guy in Estonia who was happy to fork out $700 for a 12 Mpx camera with glass zoom (musta been rare in Estonia at that time...)
Yeah - You have to be Ebay-Savvy though... All to easy to get caught up in the bidding process and forget that you are there to BUY something rather than to OUT-BID the competition... LOL
Just a thought though.... Since a lot of things are Made in China nowadays - why are we buying from Aus "middle men" who bought their goods from China, rather than buying directly and cheaper from the Chinese..???
Oh Well - Suppose we have to support the 'local' economy...
Jedo
AnswerID: 367842

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 07:56

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 07:56
Our little bargain was that son just had to have a special number plate Mx-Crazy which specials can sell for any price but usually $1000-$2000

Apparently meant Mazda crazy , but was in wrong market , however there is another market for anything to do with Motocross (MX) but previous owner had never heard of this and didn't know how to advertize.

So we got it for minimum of $50. Then went to rego place to pay the $90 change your number fee , and guy said "these are new and have never been registered as going on a car, hence , nothing to transfer and you can do it for nothing as the listing fee was it the $500 the previous owner paid for them originaly.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 367864

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:44

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:44
I love eBay and have made many of purchases on there but got burned on the last one with a rooftop tent which I am kicking myself over now but if you can't see the product you are taking a risk.

AnswerID: 367872

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:56

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:56
Hi,
As you say you've got to be in the right place at the right time with eBay and know what it is worth RRP.

Some people will pay anything!

I was cruising eBay a couple of weeks back and came across a bloke selling 3 brand new SPOT Messengers, buy it now for $139 plus $15 freight. He had good feedback, 100% over several years and several hundred sales so I jumped on one. I was the second person to grab the bargain.

When I got the SPOT it was as stated, brand new sealed in the original box, all the documentation, everything.

It also had a letter from the seller mentioning he'd stuffed the listing, it should have been $239 Buy it Now. I'd revisit this guy as he was man enough to say he stuffed up and to wear it on the chin.

The third SPOT never sold, go figure that! I even posted the link on here in a SPOT thread!

Last night I was cruising eBay and found a bloke selling Bogaard Turbo Timers for $235 + I think $20 freight!

My local TJM does them for $190 over the counter!

You've just got to know what the RRP and as Kenny Rogers said, Know when to hold em' know when to fold em' know when to walk away!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 367873

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:26

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:26
Sounds like a good buy, the Spot. Is your 'local' TJM the one at Wallsend/Jesmond? We live at Barnsley 'Whacker
FollowupID: 635468

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:45

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:45
Hi Whacker,

Yep, that be the one!

I live at Shortland.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 635470

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 20:03

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 20:03
I got an original Australian Explorers book on Ebay (some of you will guess which one), argueably worth between $5000 and $10000, for $498.

It takes pride of place on the bookshelf.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 368011

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 20:35

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 20:35
Wow!! Now thats what I call a win! Whacker
FollowupID: 635571

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 15:05

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 15:05
Alan,

I picked up a copy of the Royal Geogrpahic Society journal with Canning's report and copies of his maps in it from E-Bay (a guy in the UK).

I was quietly watching one on E-Bay some time ago when some "loudmouth" announced it to the ExplorOz forum :-) The resulting frenzy drove the price up pretty sharply. The one from the UK was the complete edition and went a fair bit chaeper than the first one FWIW, so I'm glad I was patient.

Cheers,

Matt.
FollowupID: 635942

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 18:58

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 18:58
Matt,

I have automated searches on Ebay for all the publications I would like to see on my bookshelf and in my map draw. They email me when ever someone auctions one. Not that I can afford all of them, but it is nice to see what they go for.

Yes - Have to watch out for those "Loudmouths" on the forum :))

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 635984

Reply By: Flywest - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 13:36

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 13:36
Got caught on my first & last purchase with EBay...a Canon camera Body described as excellent / 100% perfect etc etc.

Bought it at an expensive price and put it into canon for a service, who returned it with a note something was broken inside and they no longer could source parts to repair it.

Took it up with seller who claimed it was 100 % despite Canons report saying otherwise.

Ebay were no help at all.

Turns out - that a LOT of stiff being sold on ebay is defective in some way, and it is in Ebays interests to look after their sellers, ot their buyers, they appear to work on the principle that - if you BUY a dud, you will turn around and re sell it later on Ebay and they will get 2 or 3 or 4 "comissions" for re selling the same defective product, over & over again.

My first purchase with Ebay was my last - as far as I am concerned "Ebay is de debil"! ;o)

Fool me once - shame on you!
Fool me twice - shame on me!

Caveat emptor is my advice.

Cheers
AnswerID: 368382

Sponsored Links