Vehicle Packing

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 18:33
ThreadID: 6945 Views:2187 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Have a great camper trailer and have used it for short trips. Plan going for an extended trip and the equaliser (wife) would like to know what to pack in the back of the Prado.. Have the fridge (of course) but the rest is up to debate - blokey view or equaliser view. What do you take in the back of the vehicle? Advice welcome. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stuart - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 18:52

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 18:52
Not a lot. We have the same setup and carry in the car: Fridge, Recovery gear,First aid kit, a basic tool kit, generally an esky or something else to put lunch gear in. Hope this helps
AnswerID: 29723

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 19:00

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 19:00
extra beer in case the beer in the fridge runs out.would be nothing worse than running out of beer and having to go to the camper and get more so it also saves lots of time.and if theres room left over the wife usually puts in the back baby bag change of clothes pillows and doonas—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 29724

Reply By: mrdesmo - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 19:02

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 19:02
Hi john,
The way I see it, is if you and the trailer had to part company,ie trailer was to break down and had to be left behind in order to get repairs or whatever scenario you want to add, then what will you need to take with you? My list would be:
vehicle recovery gear, including any tools/spares you take
food, water for a few days
enough clothing for the same
beer/grog and any other valuebles
whatever else can fit after the essentials are covered

Thats what I do now that I have to tow an off road trailer when we go bush.
Happy travels...
Cheers
AnswerID: 29726

Follow Up By: mrdesmo - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 19:06

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 19:06
I forgot to mention....first aid kit...
FollowupID: 20814

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 10:07

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 10:07
John, I have the same setup and would agree with Stuart. To that we just add the next change of clothes, "toilet" bag and the usual "keep the kids occupied" things.

We also alter the way we pack depending on whether we are doing only long-ish base-camping, or some over-nighters. For the overnighters, we also ensure the kitchen/cooking gear is easily accessible - either in the back of the truck or the first thing you see when you open the trailer tailgate.

And, if you plan/need to separate vehicles, don't forget a good supply of drinking water in the truck.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 29768

Follow Up By: john - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 17:33

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 17:33
Thanks for that info - yep, I agree - if it's a short trip to one destination and then stop for a while you do tend to pack differently. This trip is going to be a longer one - and on unsealed (of, course) roads. Do you tie everything down in the back of the vehicle so that it doesn't move around that much. Or just pack - ramming style? I think the trip we will be doing will be a little bit bumpy (not rock hopping, but bumpy). Want to be safe and sure but don't want to go into overkill!!!! Any advice. John
FollowupID: 20955

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 19:29

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 19:29
John, I have everything packed in 4 or 6 plastic boxes (depending on whether the 68 litre Evacool esky is in the truck or the trailer) with "lock-down" lids and then use 4 tie-down staps across the lot that holds them all securely. The tie-downs attach to the 6 tie-down points provided in the rear of the truck. Only soft items like jumpers or pillows are left unrestrained.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
FollowupID: 20974

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 15:23

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 15:23
Just to be different, I have everything packed in the 4by and carry only extra water, fuel, soft furnishings, porta-p, genset and beds in the trailer.

Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 29894

Follow Up By: john - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 17:35

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 17:35
do you tie everything down in the 4by?
FollowupID: 20956

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:02

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:02
john,
No, everything is arranged so that it fits together, even the fridge is not tied down. But I drive slowly and things don't move around much.

Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 21036

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 18:23

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 18:23
porta-p????lol lol lolWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 22467

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 23:47

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 23:47
What's so funny Richard?????????????Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22480

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 21:43

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 21:43
the porta-p.....
may I ask why you take one of those?Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 22525

Follow Up By: Willie - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 22:07

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 22:07
Oh hello Richard,

The porta-p is a relic from our 5 years 'on the road around Oz' journey. It lives in the trailer as Mum likes it and frankly I don't mind using it when I have the trailer in tow. I find that doin' the bush thing can be fraught with risks as I found out to my peril not so long ago. Having crook knees I walk with a stick and on an occassion I left my stick in the 4by whilst going to do the business. Trouble was I could not get up again from my position(Dont laugh!!) or to finish the macinations of the job properly. The country side was littered with prickles and there were ants evrywhere. Had to do an Army roll to get out of my predicament :-)

You asked.............and now you know!!!
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 22528

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 13:16

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 13:16
dont laugh ....now i'm almost wetting myself....visions of you having to do an army roll .......lol lol lol lol Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 22548

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 13:03

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 13:03
Hi John,

We too tow a campertrailer. In the car behind the cargo barrier we have our fridge (tied down), 1 or 2 crates of food items (which is most of our food supplies), pram, recovery gear, beverages, basic toolkit, 12V work light and a few other bits 'n pieces. Stuffed between cargo barrier and rear seats we keep our jackets, jumpers and a change of clothes for the young'n. On back seat or floor we have our sons pillow and a toy box, camera, video camera, lap top, first aid kit and our "snack-bag" (a cooler type bag containing bikky tin and other travelling foods). On the floor we have a 55L water bladder. Everything else goes in the trailer but basically, we have all the essentials with us so that if we leave the trailer behind to go off sightseeing etc, we don't have to rearrange things.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 29987

Follow Up By: john - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 15:17

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 15:17
Great stuff - thanks Melissa. That was the sort of answer the equaliser was looking for - a girlie response. I figure women all think the same!!!!! Anyway, I'm not in trouble anymore!!!!!
FollowupID: 21258

Reply By: Julie Bishop - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:14

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 13:14
There is a very easy solution to your dilema. A fabulous book has been published called "A WOMAN'S LOOK AT CAMPING' it is everything you need to know about Storage & Packing, Around the Campsite, Personal Gear, Camping with Kids, Caravaning, Cooking, Recipes. Plus the best comphrensive checklists of camping requirements. Send an email to AWomansLook@bigpond.com.au for more info
AnswerID: 31319

Follow Up By: john - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 16:11

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 16:11
Hi Julie - we already have your fabulous book (saw it at Batemans Bay) then my wife sent for it. Great Book. We don't have a cargo barrier in the vehicle so want to know do people tie everything down in the back or just pack tightly.

FollowupID: 22344

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 18:28

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 18:28
John , should tie down with a tarp at least to be safe ....ever heard of what happens when you run into something....that small can of soft drink is going to do a lot of damage to someones scone if it connectsWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 22468

Reply By: Julie Bishop - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 07:14

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 07:14
Hi John, Thank you for your compliments about A Woman's Look at Camping. To answer your question of no cargo barrier - Regina's family do not have a cargo barrier. They have 2 _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx with the food supplies, Campfridge sits on top and their clothing bags and pillows beside the campfridge. Nothing is tied down. The height is only just over the backseat, so hubby has full back view. Hubby travels fast, and we spent 6 weeks over the December 2002/ Jan 2003 holidays touring Vic & Nsw. We drove 7800km, did a lot of off road and nothing in the back of the car moved. They towed a trailer and nothing moved or broke over all of those km's. The simple answer is _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx are a god send and buying the correct sized storage boxes that fit neatly into your vehicle is the hassle free advantage. Do not try to recycle odd sized storage boxes, pay the money and get the perfect fit.
Happy Hassle Free Camping from Julie & Regina.
AnswerID: 31487

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 18:35

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 18:35
My wife loves living out under the stars...kids and all
No less than ** and no more than ****. She reckons anything above **** costs too much!!!!

Do you think your book can convince my wife to try living out under more than ***** stars.
Thanks in advanceWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 22470

Reply By: Julie Bishop - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 14:35

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 14:35
Hi John, Regina has informed that the Campfridge is tied down with heavy duty rubber ockie style straps. They definately do not allow anything above the backseat height. There is no chance of anything flying forward with sudden braking. Cans, thermos, etc are all secured in _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx and storage box. happy hassle free camping, Julie
AnswerID: 31568

Sponsored Links