maps compatability

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 17:51
ThreadID: 69476 Views:2324 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
i have a cd with maps and tracks of Australia it is a megellan gps product. can these maps be made to work with ozi explorer. software or am i wasting my time. i am totally new to this mapping thing so i have no idea at this time. i would like to give the moving map side ago once i figure out what i'm doing.
thanks in advance
regards
al
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 19:10

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 19:10
Al,

The maps need to be calibrated in order to work with OziExplorer and there is a tutorial on the OziExplorer web site on how this may be achieved.

Easier still, for around $120 you can buy the NATMAP Premium 2008 DVD which is fully compatible with Ozi.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 368287

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 20:51

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 20:51
Hi Al
Like Bill has mentioned as above, it is not worth the time involved in setting up the maps. Buy the Natmap 2008 maps and you have it all done for you that will work with OziExplorer straight out of the box.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 368300

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 21:32

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 21:32
Hello - Magellan format maps will not work with OziExplorer. Not surprisingly they do work with Magellan software so maybe not all is lost. The maps you have can possibly (I say possibly because there is actually no product called "maps and tracks" but guessing you didnt quote name correctly) be used for moving map with

Mapsend Lite V2

and maybe

Vantage Point

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to do "moving map" on a laptop, PDA, PND? Do you have a GPS? What make/model? Best to give full run down of your intentions otherwise you will get advice from all directions, some of which may not be relevant...possibly like my post.

The Magellan maps will have far better detail than the Natmap 250K/OziExplorer combination suggested by others but there are other map options (eg 100K,50K and 25K plus airphotos) depending on where you are and if you want to head down the OziExplorer path. OziExplorer is good for those with interest in GPS mapping and maps/airphotos in general. Various Garmin setups are also a good option for plug and play topo maps/user friendliness.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 368310

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 21:39

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 21:39
Hi Greg,

What do you mean by Magellan Maps will have far better detail than Natmaps?

Is that overall, or topography or roads maybe?

I've used Ozi/Natmap combo for years but interested in hearing about others if it may serve my purposes.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 635892

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 22:42

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 22:42
Hello Alan

I only have the older Magellan DAST (DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks) which shows street level detail for all cities and variable quality "bush" track detail as one would expect to find on a ~25K map (as out of date/inaccurate as it maybe in certain places). Can’t vouch for completeness or accuracy in any particular area but I suppose there are shortcomings in many areas but same goes for most mapsets. Newer versions of the Magellan product (which I don’t have) also have contours. The current versions of Garmin compatible Oztopo and Garmin Topo are similar in detail.

As you know Natmap is a 250k scale mapset - it doesn’t have streets (obviously not relevant for some applications). Scale could be an issue - main highways are represented by 160m wide red lines, secondary tracks by ~60m wide lines (ouch! again depends on application - no big deal for some obviously). Quality of track detail is variable - in some areas the Natmap appears to have good track detail beyond that displayed on the DAST map (good stuff)...but in other areas more tracks are visible on the DAST (and Oztopo) product. Suppose if I needed to back up my comment “Magellan maps will have far better detail than the Natmap 250K” in court would go with the lack of streets and a relative lack of track detail overall (but not all areas) – can I go now:)

If I was for some reason limited to one choice would head down the OziExplorer/250K path (only because I like OziExplorer not specifcially the 250K maps) – but why limited yourself to one map option? You can never have enough maps.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 635897

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 23:10

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 23:10
Thanks for that detailed answer Greg.

I may start investigating other options...I guess when travelling you pass through towns etc, so a more detailed street level option would be advantageous.

And I agree. You can never have enough maps!!!

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 635898

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 00:47

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 00:47
I would not under normal circumstances suggest any one map set as everyone has different needs/expectations etc. and I don’t have a crystal ball (well not one that works). Only headed down the Magellan path a little way in this instance as Al already had a copy so he may as well give it a bash before trying something else. DAST is a serviceable product...and if I had a (normal) Magellan GPS would still use it – never bothered trying it with moving map so not 100% sure how well the software I suggested will go there.

Main trouble map users have is trying before you buy – many options these days and it’s difficult to gauge what gps/software/map combination may be best for your intended purpose. Would be nice if there was a shop somewhere where you could walk in and look at it all in one place.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 635903

Sponsored Links