Rubber Boat {blow up one} which one

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 21:04
ThreadID: 69516 Views:4132 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Was thinking of buying a blow up boat for the kids to criuse the coopers with but it has to be a good one any pic's of what you've got would be great to go bye.cheer's GREENDOG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 22:16

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 22:16
Greendog, I spent about 7 years retailing and repairing inflatables in Sydney.
If you want the best get one that is made from "hypalon coated nylon base fabric.
There are several brands including Avon and a couple from NZ including Aquapro.
However there is also many made with a PVC based coating on polyester base fabric including Zodiac,Sevylor etc.
If you might put a small o/b motor on it then you need one with a transom across the back, as the surf rescue boats. They will all have multiple air chambers and are inherently stable and incredibly bouyant.
Good luck with the choice. Ian
AnswerID: 368461

Reply By: kevanancy - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 23:06

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 23:06
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 368465

Reply By: slammin - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 23:23

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 23:23
Hmmm what do you mean by a good one?

If you mean the best available with the latest materials then as above look at Hypalon based ones.

If you mean one of the ones like the old reliable Zodiacs then I got one of these and it has been v.good. http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=101&item=45460&intAbsolutePage=1

It was originally much cheaper $400 when it 1st came out but like verything with the GFC $'s went up so did the retail price. I think they also had a low price to start the sales rolling. It has everything included and is easy to row, friend has one with a 4hp on the back, I prefer the ease of rowing though. It's only got a slat floor, not inflatable or solid like the best ones have but still v.adequate. It doesn't have any keel so when you row it doesn't track perfectly BUT this design was good enough for the 80's and 90's. My 6y.o. was off and rowing in 1min, no exaggeration, and he loves it. the kids have had a lot more fun rowing than if we had of got a motor. Sleep v.well too! ; )

We use it as a tender to our sail boat and it tows ok but is better stwoed inflated on deck, so it doesn't flip when underway. It is pretty light as the spec's say. It's not small and will take up space but the spec's provided are accurate. My youngest didn't tie it on one night and it ended up high and dry the v.v.vsharp oysters and there was no damage even though we we had to drag it off.

Setting up is 5mins with the foot pump and easy even in confined spaces.

I would not recommend a Sevylor style boat as they are just big pool toys.

I can send some links if you want.

Regards,

Sam.
AnswerID: 368466

Reply By: donk - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 01:16

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 01:16
Achillies make a good quality range of hypalon boats as well

I have a 1982 model thaqt is still like new (apart from the odd patch from errent lure trebles)

Regards Don
AnswerID: 368479

Reply By: blackmax11 - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 20:23

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 20:23
I ahve a Quicksilver 2.7Metre Airdeck with a 5hp Mercury. It is great, planes with 2 of us and dog, rows well if need be. Quicksilver make both Hypalon and Duratec (pvc). Mine is a Duratec model and is 3 years old and like new, just don't leave for days on end in hot sun when stored and will last years.
AnswerID: 368606

Reply By: blackmax11 - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 20:24

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 20:24
I have a Quicksilver 2.7Metre Airdeck with a 5hp Mercury. It is great, planes with 2 of us and dog, rows well if need be. Quicksilver make both Hypalon and Duratec (pvc). Mine is a Duratec model and is 3 years old and like new, just don't leave for days on end in hot sun when stored and will last years.
AnswerID: 368608

Sponsored Links