Cooper Tyres

Submitted: Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 15:35
ThreadID: 6960 Views:2143 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I drive a Toyota 4Runner diesel and I am about to purchase new tyres. I currently have 15 x 7 wheels with 235/75R15 Simex Roadtrekker tyres. My spare is a standard 16 inch which has the same overall diameter, which is 730 mm.

The vehicle is used to drive to work in the suburbs of sydney with short off road trips once a month and usually one longer trip per year (moderate 4wd).

I have pretty much decided to go with either Cooper A/T's or ST's, in 30-9.50R15 size which have an overall diameter of 744mm(A/T) AND 745mm(ST).

Are the ST's an acceptable road tyre or would I be better off going with the A/T considering the vehicle spends most of it's time on the road. I am tempted by the ST as I know it would be a better tyre for when I go off road but I don't want to compromise on road handling/grip too much.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: REXY - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 15:45

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 15:45
hi ya davo....i know this might not help you much but i have heard different stories about coopers...some are good ssome are bad.for my money i went for a set of wrangler M/T on my surf mobile and they are awsome (no im not on the take from the company lol) i put them on aobut this time last year in darwin and drove down here to sydney via adelaid and melbourne they make a bit of noise but hey turn the stereo up a bit more....on the road they are really good around corners (provided you dont go like lowndesy around bathurst) and off road wow...i can go almost anywhere the patrols and the cruisers that my mates own can get here in sydney they are about $270 for 31 x 10.5

just an opinion hope it helps

cheers rexy

93T/D surf mobile
AnswerID: 29784

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 17:57

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 17:57
gday davo.
my choice would be the s/t .reason would be s/t better of road when you go off road and they dont handle any worse on the road than the h/t maybe a slight bit more noise but you probly wouldnt notice it on a four runner diesel.as for grip theese tyres leave most for dead in stopping.just ask my mrs 2 times she had people pull out in front of her.i do sell coopers at work but i also use them my self and im very happy with them.i used s/t very good of road but i traded them on some h/t most of our time is on road and i also got hold of some muddies that i bolt on if im going away—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 29795

Follow Up By: Davo - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:10

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:10
Thanks everyone for the input.

Diamond,

Perhaps you could answer a question about wheels. The wheels that I have(ROH TRAK) were originally fitted to a leaf sprung hilux and have a wider offset to clear the brake calipers on that vehicle. On the IFS 4Runner they therefore clear the calipers by more. Could this affect things like alignment or steeering? Should I replace the wheels with those built for IFS or does'nt it really matter that much?

I will have to replace my spare due to the different diameters won't I ?
Do you agree with the choice of size (30/9.50r15) ?

Thanks a lot
FollowupID: 20915

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 21:02

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 21:02
gday davo.
first of all i would be changing the rims as a wider offset will affect steering ect.
30x9.5x15 is great choice.
as for your spare we fit heaps of 30" to fourbys and the customer keeps original spare i think were talking about 12-15 mm in diameter never heard of any problems(not saying they dont happen).most spares should only be on for the time it takes to get to your local tyre dealer to get fixed(lots of exeptions but you mention living in the city).—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
FollowupID: 20987

Reply By: Graeme - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 18:07

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 18:07
I drive a Prado with 265/75R16 Cooper ST's. Tyre noise is considerably louder than with 'normal' road tyres although I, for one, don't mind it.

Tyres seem fine and are much better than Grandtreks :}. So far, I'd buy them again.

Check whether you will actually get a mileage guarantee ... some dealers prefer to discount the tyre & let you carry the mileage guarantee.
AnswerID: 29798

Reply By: Willykj - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 18:07

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 18:07
I have a 3.5L Jackaroo with Cooper ST's. Previously had AT's but I am very happy with the ST's = they are great off road but I spend most of my time on the bitumen. On the black stuff they are a little noisier but after about 50 kph you can hardly tell the difference. The handling is also very good & in wet weather the handling is great. I am very happy with their on road performance.

Willy
AnswerID: 29799

Reply By: BCC - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 22:13

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 22:13
Davo,

I run 285/75/16 Cooper ST on our Patrol and am more than happy with their on and off-road performance.

We have just returned from a 10,000km trip through the corner country and the Flinders and had no problems with the tyres at all.

AnswerID: 29826

Reply By: Hugh - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 00:34

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 00:34
Davo,

I went through this same decision a few months ago and elected to stay with the ATs on my GU Patrol. I have driven on sand, tracks and gravel since with no complaints. Likely the STs would be better for more serious off-road but I thought the AT was a good package for me.

A friend of mine has a Pajero with STs. Seems to handle just fine on the bitumen, though road noise is much louder than my ATs. As posted, noise likely blends in at moderate speeds, especially given you have a diesel.

If you really are going to be spending a lot of time on the bitumen, then I think the ATs would be a good selection.

Hugh
AnswerID: 29848

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 00:22

Saturday, Sep 06, 2003 at 00:22
Hugh

I am getting a set of Cooper A/T's 265/75/16's on the GU next week to replace the 265/70 Bridgestones.

I tossed up over the S/T's but most of my driving will be harder surfaces.

How are your A/T's holding up for milage??

cheers
FollowupID: 21291

Sponsored Links