Googs Track Update

I have just returned from traversing Googs Track...north to south.

Because I planned to travel the track in the reverse to the recommendation I felt the need to get as much info as possible.

I got quite a lot from the members here, including the fact that it was quite doable north to south. I also rang the Ceduna office to get further advice.

I arranged with one of the rangers to advise them in advance of my entering the area and then to call at the office the other end to pay for my camping permit. He also advised that because I was travelling north to south that I advise on UHF 18 that I was travelling southbound on the track a regular intervals and also suggested that I run a sand flag which went without saying.

We were 2 vehicles towing campers and I must say that after the event I would rather traverse the track north to south. We found the northern approaches to the sand dunes far less difficult than the rutted and very soft southern approaches.

We did encounter 2 vehicles travelling north....one running with UHF communications and a sand flag the second with neither.

I am posting this in the hope that it will be of assistance to other travellers.

Thanks again to all the members who posted advice of this topic.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 17:28

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 17:28
Hi GypsyOne
We have travelled from south to north and when the question is asked, I would always advise on the north - south option. You have now seen for yourself how cut up the track is from what?? People that have no idea what so ever on how to drive in soft sand, highway pressure tyre and think that they have a Four Wheel Drive and can go anywhere.

We to very surprised the number of vehicles that had no communications or sand flags.

When will people learn.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 368968

Reply By: Roughasguts - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 17:28

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 17:28
Ahhh Googs track it's been nearly thirty years since I took a drive up there and back. I did it in a Suzuki LJ 50 soft top, what a laugh that was! going up like you said easier North to South don't even need 4WD going that direction but you can get stuck going North if the run ups not good enough.

Got any Photos Of the track and MT Finke love to see what it looks like now.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 368969

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:45

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:45
So where you at Mt Finke just after Easter?

Was it you I saw from the top as you looked around had a discussion and then headed south? The climb was really worth it. What a great view and I got to call the Mrs back home in Sydney and send a message to my Mum & Dad who were cruising down the Danube at the time.

Duncs
AnswerID: 369041

Follow Up By: GypsyOne - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:27

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:27
No I was there 3 weeks ago Duncs.
FollowupID: 636915

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 13:21

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 13:21
thanks. I will be doing the same in August - from the north to the south. I guess we will just have to be careful of those with no comms and no flags.

rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 369105

Follow Up By: GypsyOne - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:28

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:28
Yep sure are some dumb bunnies out there.
FollowupID: 636916

Sponsored Links