Adelaide to Cairns – Which Way

Submitted: Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:56
ThreadID: 69635 Views:2171 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

We’re planning a trip to Cape York. Time wise we will be up against it so we're intending to beeline it from Adelaide to Cairns pretty much, and make Cape York the main focus of the trip. We could detour a bit from the straightest route if there is enough interest etc. One in our group wants to go through Innamincka – not decided yet. Definitely we intend to avoid the coast this time.

So, which way and why?

Thanks in anticipation.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:33

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:33
What a great opportunity.

Without looking at a map I would do something like this;

Adelaide to Lyndhurst then up the Strz to Innamincka, then Cordillo Downs to Haddons Corner before heading for the Diamantina Lakes and Longreach. From Longreach I would go due north to Hughenden then due north again to Undara before heading NE via Innot and in to Cairns.

Got no idea how far it is but you could probably do the legs as I have suggested in about a day each. You might want a night on the Strz between Lyndhurst and Maree.

I would take a couple of extra days in a few of those places. In particular Innamincka and Longreach.

Like I say I ahven't looked at a map but I know there is plenty to see along that route

Duncs
AnswerID: 369038

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 18:33

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 18:33
thanks Duncs, sounds interesting, cheers
FollowupID: 636639

Sponsored Links