Geraldton to Coolgardie via Sandstone, Leonora

Submitted: Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 05:23
ThreadID: 69827 Views:5620 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Would very much appreciate any feedback from anyone who has done this trip - road conditions (sealed or unsealed?) and availability of accommodation, possibly at Sandstone?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:39

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:39
Patricia,we found the van park at Sandstone very friendly people and clean ammenities when there last year.The local pub does a great meal too.
I think if you look up the places section here, you'll find a bit more info.
cheers Unc
AnswerID: 370025

Follow Up By: Member - Patricia R (TAS) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 00:21

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 00:21
Thanks Uncle - we don't have a van, so are actually looking at staying at Sandstone - according to some information I've found, there was reference to a motel there, but can't find any further info, and I like to book accommodation ahead.Sandstone seems to be a reasonable distance for one day's drive from Geraldton - we like to be able to have time to stop and check out anything of interest but at the same time, because its unfamiliar country, I like to be off the road before dark - I figure the area doesn't need an extra hazard on the road at night! Thanks again for your input - any further comments would be most appreciated. Patricia.
FollowupID: 637534

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 23:41

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 23:41
Sandstone was the big surprise of our trip last year. We stopped for a night (at the CP) and stayed three. A neat and lovely town in a huge Shire.Population of entire Shire only 116. Enjoy.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 638283

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:46

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:46
Hi Patricia

You will need to provide more detail on the itinerary. You can get to Sandstone from Paynes Find via a good dirt road or from Paynes Find go up to Mt Magnet and then across to Sandstone and its a sealed road.
The same goes for sandstone to Leonora and Leonora to Coolgardie. There are options of dirt and sealed.

cheers

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370026

Follow Up By: Member - Patricia R (TAS) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 00:27

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 00:27
Thanks Phil - Gravel roads don't really worry the Forester, as long as it is a reasonable surface. We're planing on driving across to Perth to visit family, then thought of going up as far as Geraldton, then heading east, and down to Coolgardie on our way back. I have a book of fairly comprehensive maps of the area, plus a GPS, but you can't beat contact with someone who knows the area for up to date information. I'm pleased to know we'd have the option of sealed or unsealed roads - would also appreciate any tips on accommodation available in the area - possibly Sandstone? Have heard there may be concerns re the security of vehicles - any comment? Thanks again. Patricia.
FollowupID: 637535

Reply By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 12:45

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 12:45
If you want an excellent hard road go from sandstone to leinster then Leonora.
Ian
AnswerID: 370058

Follow Up By: Member - Patricia R (TAS) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 00:47

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 00:47
Thanks Ian - I take it thats sealed? Don't mind the gravel ones as long as they have a reasonable surface, so am "picking the brains" of members with local knowledge - have already been warned about the goats on the road, so don't want to add to their number!
FollowupID: 637538

Reply By: Member - ross m (WA) - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:32

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:32
The dirt sections in that area are reasonably good but always use caution.
There has usually been sheep and goats on the road when Ive been through especially between Mt Mag to S/stone.
The roadtrains can be quite busy on those roads servicing the mines.
All in all an easy drive with fairly straight roads

There is lots of attractions in the way of old town sites and infrastructure but some of them you need to look for it ; )
AnswerID: 370075

Follow Up By: Member - Patricia R (TAS) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 00:33

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 00:33
Thanks Ross - Don't worry, I'm always cautious - we have a fair few goats on the roads in Tassie, too, and they don't all have four legs - in fact, I think some of them might even have licences! I was especially interested in finding out whether the roads were sealed or not - hard to distinguish from my maps - and what condition they were in, also some info on the availability of accommodation in the area - from the distances, I think we'd be looking at staying overnight at Sandstone, as, being unfamiliar with the area, I like to be off the road before dark - your reference to the goats applies here!

We've done previous trips to WA, but not in this particular area, so any further info on old town sites, etc., would be appreciated. With thanks. Patricia.
FollowupID: 637536

Follow Up By: Member - ross m (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:35

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:35
Patricia, Mt Magnet is the biggest town along the route.
It has 3 pubs and a good council owned caravan park.
But its a bit close to Geraldton if your planning the trip over two days.
Along the Mt Magnet to Sandstone rd there is theembankment where a rail car used to run with the remains of old stations along the way.
No buildings,just old platforms
I think the rail car went as far as Leinster and Leonora and maybe to Laverton in its day but Im not certain of its route.
There are towns along there like Paynesville that once had a population until the gold ran out.
Other surviving towns like Ora Banda and Broad Arrow are worth a visit.
There are sign posts along the Goldfields hwy showing sites of old gold towns.
Sometimes there is an old cemetary to visit.

FollowupID: 637584

Reply By: Wheatbelt Wayne - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 19:55

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 19:55
The road from Geraldton to Sandstone to Leinster to Leonora to Kalgoorlie to Coolgardie is all bitumen and some of it is pretty boring country.

I would go to Sandstone, down the Menzies Road, turn down towards Riverina on the Snake Hill Riverina Road, then down to Mulline, visiting Ullaring Rock, then to Davyhurst. Then choose to visit either Rowles Lagoon taking the Coolgardie North Road (go right) or go to Ora Banda via the Ora Banda Davyhurst road (go left). From there it is straight down the Coolgardie North Road to Coolgardie. Pretty well sign posted in the lower parts.

Parts of this are the Golden Quest Trail. The Coolgardie North Road is in reasonable condition (we were there on the long weekend) and easy 90km/h.

Folks just spent the night at Sandstone, stayed at the Hotel. Basic accommodation in donga style or stay inside for the same price, but the dongas have showers.

I prefer the backroads, you see more and there is less heavy traffic. Check out the maps. All these roads are good for towing on as well, but from Sandstone to Coolgardie is all unsealed.

Have a good trip.
Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 370172

Follow Up By: Member - Patricia R (TAS) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 00:42

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 00:42
Thanks Wayne - I totally agree with you, the back roads are always far more interesting, but I just like to do a bit of research on local conditions, mainly to make sure I am not going to find myself up to the hub caps in bulldust! I've got some fairly comprehensive maps, also a GPS, but they don't give the "nitty gritty" information that first hand experience can. However, from the other replies posted, it looks fairly well OK, and what you outline looks good. Sounds like the accommodation at Sandstone is OK - a decent meal, a shower and a bed are all I need! Did your folks have any problems with vehicle security overnight - I've heard some stories, so thats my other concern. Thanks a lot for your help. Patricia.
FollowupID: 637537

Follow Up By: Wheatbelt Wayne - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 20:18

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 20:18
I've never had any problems with vehicle security in Sandstone and I've been there lots of times. Parents had no problems and they were in a group of 4 vehicles. No one had an issue. Just standard security, lock and leave. Doubt that there would have been anything of value on display though.

Have a good time.
Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 639143

Sponsored Links