bore track

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:01
ThreadID: 69869 Views:2418 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Doing the bore track next week as part of a bigger trip to Innamincka and Broken Hill etc.

We have the standard maps which come with the Desert Pass but I just found a website saying that it's not an easy track to follow and it's possible to lose it.

Is this still the case?? If so I will get more detailed maps but I don't want to spend money on maps if I don't need to.

Oh, and are we allowed to camp and have fires on this track? Called the 'owners' (found on this site) but no answer and no replys to my message.

Thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:23

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:23
When you pay your $10.00 per vehicle fee, they will give you a mud map of the track.
You are allowed to camp & have fires, with all the usual precautions.
It is a great drive, so take your time & enjoy it.
AnswerID: 370315

Follow Up By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:28

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 14:28
yep, knew about the honesty box etc. So if this 'mud map' is good enough then that's good news.

Thanks,
FollowupID: 637630

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 16:02

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 16:02
Gossy

If you have a look at Mick O's blog he has a great set of notes posted there for the Bore Track. Mick is very careful with his notes so I'm sure that if you printed them off you could not go wrong.

And once you get off "Bollards Lagoon" you are on the Innamincka Recreation Reserve so camping should be OK - I am ready to stand corrected on this matter.

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 370333

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:05

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:05
Gossy! We did the Bore Track last year when coming back from Innamincka. You only get a map if you go from Cameron's Corner and head North as you pay to an honesty box and grab a map on the southern end. Yes you can get lost as the road is not clearly marked. If you are heading south near Moomba, you need to turn left off the main track that you have been travelling on for about 1 km and turn right at a small "bore track" sign and continue heading south. If you simply cross the intersection as i did, you will end up on a narrow soft sandy track that goes nowhere. You will realise qiuckly you are on the wrong track. If heading North you will simply come to a T intersection near Moomba and you simply turn left and turn right at the next right turn and that will be back on to the Bore track... Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370365

Follow Up By: Gossy - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:26

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:26
thanks, doing it from Nth to Sth.
FollowupID: 637782

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:03

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:03
Sitting here at Dead Horse Camp ground in Sturt NP ATM, and heading up the Bore trk in a couple of days time.Will be at Innamincka for a week or so so if you end up lost, I will go out with the search party to help find you..........
From what I can gather, there are alot of tracks out around Innamincka so double check each turn and take your time, its no race.
Great country up here, today was the first day of 11 on the road that we had no rain, perfect sunshine but cool wind.
AnswerID: 370377

Follow Up By: Gossy - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:28

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:28
Thanks for the assistance in advance!! Just look for a white GQ Patrol and white 60 series Landcruiser on the search party.

We will be the ones sitting around the camp fire drinking beer wandering what all the fuss is about when the local police and everyone else is out looking for us :)
FollowupID: 637783

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:14

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:14
Gossy,

The Bore Track is great on the private Bollards Lagoon section, but deteriorates considerably at the northern end where very little (if any) grading occurs.

Allow yourself plenty of time and you should be OK.

We left Camerons Corner to travel to Innamincka at around 2.30 pm and found we were travelling the last section in the dark.

Don't let my comments deter you however, as it's a great trip regardless and you will be pleased you did it.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 370379

Follow Up By: Gossy - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:29

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:29
agree on taking our time. Sounds like this track is the most interesting of all the tracks out there (we have done the main tracks around the area a few years ago but didn't know the bore track existed).
FollowupID: 637784

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:43

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 19:43
Hi Gossy

I would still try to contact the owners / manager as the Bore track
can be closed from water on the track and impassable and they wont let you travel on it.
When i went in mid July 07 it was open with a few detours around some flooded sections and closed up until the end of June 07.
You could also try Cameron corner store they should be able to give you info on traveling conditions on the Bore track.

Image Could Not Be Found,

Rob

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 370384

Follow Up By: Gossy - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:32

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:32
Mud! Geez it's taken me 12 months to clean the mud of the car from the last trip across the Simpson this time last year! Interesting times crossing this country with rain. Challenging but fun. I completely understand why they close the tracks though. The damage our vehicles make is scary. It's a credit to the guys who get them back to normal again in the grading teams.
FollowupID: 637786

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 15:23

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 15:23
first day back at work so thought I would give everyone a quick update on the trip.

The Cooper Creek and Coongie Lakes are completely full. Great kayaking. Track out to coongie lake was quite corrugated.

The bore track was very easy to follow (we went Nth to Sth). Marked well from the "adventure way" and well marked at every turn until you hit the homestead.

it makes sense actually that it is clearly marked because I'm sure Santos would not want tourists going on their private tracks.

Average speed on track was about 40km/h.
AnswerID: 372320

Sponsored Links