Drifta 4WD Draw systems

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:06
ThreadID: 69883 Views:10224 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there does anyone out there own or have any feedback on the quality of the www.drifta.com.au draw units. We are looking to get 2 draws put into an 2008 120 series Prado with a Fridge slide out on the top for our 40Lt Engel and wondered what people thought of the build quality. They are certainly well priced. Also does anyone know where we can get hold of and Englle Fridge slide out system and what we could expect to pay. any tips most welcome. This will be our first big trip away and we just feel it might be best keeping all the foodstuffs in the draws out of the Tambo camper, and with slide out draws we can gain quick access to things with out having to lug around heavy Bunnings containers. hoo roo James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MickeyJ - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:36

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:36
We just bought a Car back model and the quality is great. Service was awesome, and very prompt.

Cheers

Mickey
AnswerID: 370372

Reply By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:04

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:04
Hi, we had a full length draw that Drifta made for our camper trailer. The quality was great. When we first got it there was a something we were not happy about and it was fixed, no questions asked.

Drifta seems to be known far and wide so I would say they must be doing something right.

The owner is a nice, down to earth bloke and his attitude is reflected in the product.
AnswerID: 370401

Follow Up By: tim_c - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:09

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:09
Just out of curiosity... how do you find the plastic skids go (instead of rollers that most other drawer manufacturers use) when the drawers are fully loaded?

Also, since the drawers fit so snugly inside the casing, does the air trapped behind the drawers cause any problem for opening/closing the drawers?

Do the Drifta drawers have anything to stop you from accidentally pulling the drawers out too far?

Cheers.
FollowupID: 637708

Reply By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:13

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:13
Hey, the plastic skids worked fine alot better then I expected and even when fully loaded there was no problem, however we only used ours for clothes and toiletries etc so not extreme weight.

We had no problems with opening and closing the drawers. The only problem we had was related to use packing too much stuff into a draw which would cause issues, but this was not related to design.

Do the Drifta drawers have anything to stop you from accidentally pulling the drawers out too far? No and this is probably a problem....

AnswerID: 370403

Reply By: Best Off Road - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:28

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 20:28
James,

They do not have any bearings at all in them. They are in essence a box within a box on plastic skids. I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with that, but smooth operating drawers do need bearings.

I'll openly admit that we build drawers. It is our business. Our's are only $100 ish dearer than those you are looking at with a full roller bearing assembly and galvanised steel angle rails to ensure a proper slide in/slide out mechanism. And to ensure strength.

The other advantage of our's are that they bolt straight into the existing luggage hook points in the back of your Prado. They take minutes to intstall or remove.

Our's for your Prado are $950 with all fitting bolts supplied. We also fit them free if you come to our factory in Melbourne.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 370410

Follow Up By: imjames - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 23:10

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 23:10
thanks for the feedback but we are trying to keep the costs down. And you do have a point about bearings
FollowupID: 637739

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 23:41

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 23:41
I have a Trakmaster off road caravan for sale in the Trader section of EO. Excellent build quality in the drawers in the kitchen cabinets. They all work really well.

That's in my Trakmaster off road caravan for sale in the Trader section of ExplorOz.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 637742

Follow Up By: mowing - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 00:10

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 00:10
and GB the storage unit for rent .............
Very subtle....

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 637744

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 00:16

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 at 00:16
No drawers in the storage unit.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 637747