Lake Eyre

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 20:45
ThreadID: 69959 Views:2234 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Is it too late to plan a trip to Lake Eyre in Late July? Will there still be enough water to make it worthwhile?
Any advice from recent visitors to area most welcome
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 22:16

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 22:16
Even at it's peak a few weeks ago it was barely worth a special trip compared to previous years when it was far deeper & the birdlife came down as well. As the Warburton river is now dropping very quickly the lake is eveporating quicker than it's filling. In 5 weeks I'm guessing you will be unlikely to see the water from the bank & the spectacle from the air will be considerably less.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 370789

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 23:01

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 23:01
Apwaddo,

It's never too late to plan a trip to Lake Eyre.
Water, or the lack thereof, does not make the trip any less worthwhile.

If you travel from the Oodnadatta Track turnoff (about 6 klicks out of William Creek) out to Halligan bay, you reach a low escarpment from which you view what I would call a mirage. It is hard to determine that the expanse in front of you is a lake containing water or not. Travelling further on to Halligan Bay, you are now 15 metres below sea level (the lowest point in Austrailia) and the vastness of the salt lake (or salt pan) is now apparent.

A truly worthwhile trip regardless. of whether water is present.

If you wish to see water in the Lake (even now) you will need to take a scenic flight over the lake with Trevor Wright (WrightsAir) or one of his pilots sharing the seasonal workload.

Do yourself a favour and GO!

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 370802

Reply By: GypsyOne - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 14:35

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 14:35
The Getaway programme which aired in Brisbane last night with a Lake Eyre segment was filmed 7 weeks ago so don't expect the water to it to still be as visible as shown on that show.
AnswerID: 370907

Reply By: Powderworks - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:13

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 15:13
There on the 26th July. Took Flight from William Creek.

AnswerID: 373191

Sponsored Links