Cordillo Downs Road

Hi there
We are going to travel in early July hopefully from Innamincka via Cordillo Downs Road to Birdsville. We are towing Goldstream Link Offroad Camper, wondering if anyone has been on this road just recently and wondering what your thoughts are. Also what do you suggest the tyre pressure to be to try to avoid flats, Will there be any of our camper trailer left or will be have only the draw bar left and flapping alluminium if we reach Birdsville.
Thanks heaps !!!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 19:33

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 19:33
Goldy the road from Innamincka past Cordillo is fairly rough & corrugated at times particually through the dips & creeks. Taken at a steady/slow pace your camper should hold up ok given it's not heavily loaded & has decent tyres. I'd suggest 25 psi for these roads. If there has been local rain it can get boggy & is better to detour with a trailer if that's the case.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 371561

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 19:53

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 19:53
Hi Goldy,
We took the Cordillo Downs Road from Innamincka to Birdsville a couple of weeks ago in the troopy. It was fine, a pleasant drive. Cooper S/T's at 27psi.
You should have no trouble with an off-road camper unless there has been rain. Check before you leave.
Pause for a visit to the shearing shed at Cordillo Downs Station.
Have a great time.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 371563

Follow Up By: goldlink - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 21:27

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 21:27
Allan B
Thanks for your help, have we will be travelling from Broken Hill to Camerons Corner, looking at alternative route Milparinka out through Hewitt Downs to Fort Grey and then onto Cams Corner. Have you travelled this stretch before ??
Goldy
FollowupID: 638822

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 23:30

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 23:30
Goldy, no, we travelled via Thargomindah in Qld to Cameron Corner then up the Bore Track to Innamincka.

Suggest you camp at Fort Grey as whilst the performance in Cameron Corner Store bar can be humourous the plumbing in the amenities is beyond a joke!

A fellow traveller with a camper trailer went from the Corner to Innamincka via Merty Merty and the Old Strzelecki Track but on meeting up again in Innamincka said that it was not attractive and he wished he had used the Bore Track.

The Bore Track was fine..... a bit of sand but manageable with reduced tyre pressure. It does however cross some claypans which could be messy after rain.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 638841

Reply By: Holden4th - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 20:03

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 20:03
Walker's Crossing is an alternative and apparently an easier route.
AnswerID: 371564

Reply By: Holden4th - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 20:03

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 20:03
Walker's Crossing is an alternative and apparently an easier route.
AnswerID: 371565

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 20:46
Goldie we will be going from Birdsville to Innamincka via Walkers Crossing towing a old TRAK SHAK in the secound week of the school holi's it's a much easier drive on driver and vechile,I have done this track 3 times and recommend it over cordillo downs track.cheer's GD
AnswerID: 371572

Reply By: Member - Glenn H (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 21:39

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 21:39
Gidday Goldlink, we did the trip from north to south 6 weeks ago towing an old Jayco so you should be OK in a newer Goldstream. Had 26psi in the Pathy and 30 in the van which was 1250 kg loaded.Leaving Innamincka the first hour is on a rough section but then you'll hit sand dune country which is rock free and much more pleasant to drive on. The old shearing shed is certainly worth a stop as is the Cadelga ruin further on. Take two days at a comfotable pace and you'll enjoy this awesome country. Cheers, Glenn
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 371586

Reply By: Pezza QLD - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 23:40

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2009 at 23:40
Just came back from out there and may I suggest the Walkers Xing track, this is what it looks like for most of the way.

When you get towards the middle you will come across the Tirrawarra gas fields, the tracks through here can be a little confusing due to the signage being a tad vague and numerous tracks, just keep heading west and follow your nose should bring you out on the other side.
Once out the other side keep a look out for the small sign that points you to the northern part of the Walkers Xing track on the right, it's easy to miss as it is much smaller than the wide road you will be on at the time.
The section of road that leads you through the gas fields looks like this.

There are very few rocks along any of the Walkers Xing track.

Cheers
Pezza

AnswerID: 371597

Reply By: dieseltojo - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 17:46

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 17:46
Hi all at goldlink.
Just arrived home from the area and went to Innaminka via the bore track with two Toyota's and two caravans both vans dual axels.Mates van a Trackmaster and mine an Avan with 100 mm (4") raised suspension.and camped on the water hole about 25 km out from Cordillo Downs.All roads OK and weather was dry,the usual corrugations etc but could be fun on the bore track if wet.But this applies to all tracks in the out back.Cordillo Downs definitely worth a visit and no probs at all for your out fit.Just keep putting your hand on your tyres and if they get to hot you may be going to fast or they need more air.We went to 24 psi cold in the trucks and i had 32 cold in the van which weighs 2.1 ton loaded.Many times our speed was onl 50 km per hr.This saves a lot of rock damage.You just have to drive to the conditions you encounter.

Regards Paul.
AnswerID: 371821

Sponsored Links