Holland Track

Just got back from a couple of days on the track. Why can't people stay on tracks. Krakouer Rock has had people driving all over it and getting bogged on the edges. The erosion as a result is getting bad. No wonder places getclosed because of this senseless vandalism.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 18:22

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 18:22
ricochet,

We are in the planning stages for a trip along the track in September.
Can you advise the conditions of the camping areas at Sandalwood Rock and Thursday Rock, please, these areas have been devastated by recent fires.

With regards to the vandalism on the rocks, get in contact with Kim Parker from the Toyota Landcruiser Club and let him know.
He would probably be happy to have a report on the general condition of the track as well.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 371680

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 20:15

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 20:15
Wayne I and a few other bods from here tried to do the track last Sept/Oct LWE the entire area was flooded. Never seen as much water out that way. Did the track last Easter 08 and the fires hadn't affected Thursday Rock, but there was quite a bog hole going into it when you turned of the main Holland Track.

Hope the weather is kinder to you than it was for us.

WRT driving over rocks some DH had tried driving up the rocks around Cave Hill. Total morons!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 638977

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 21:57

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2009 at 21:57
G'day Dunc,

Saw a LOT of water on our first trip along the track ............ way back when, and we hope that the weather will be kinder on this trip.

Maybe a slip with the campsites, Thursday Rock was not affected on our last trip,though we are just checking on all sites for the future trip.

WRT ............ Driving on the rocks ............. people should do the powerline track..... if they want a challenge ........... and keep off the others!

The changes to the camping areas around Victoria Rock happened because a group of 4WD'ers felt the need to drive onto the rock ........ and take pics of their deed ........ and then posted them on their website!
DEC (CALM) took a dim view of this, yet the (group) promotes responsible 4WDing?? Go Figure!

Apart from the weather, we hope you enjoyed you time on the track.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 639003

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:14

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:14
Reminds me of something I seen several years ago, being a picture (web site) of about 25 vehicles up on the top Elchubutting Rock they were members of one of the biggest clubs here in WA. It amazed me cause they promote all the environment issues yet the eco system of all these rocks evolve over 100's of years and tyre tracks destroys them in minutes.
FollowupID: 639034

Follow Up By: ricochet - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:05

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:05
Thursday Rock was unaffected by fire and is a nice campspot. There is still the mudhole before the rock if it rains. Didn't come through Sandlewood Rock us I came down the Duri Track from Boorabbin then north east onto Holland Track.
The three radio transmitters on the track are out of order, the transmitters have been removed for repair, not sure when they will be back. With regards to the burnt areas and some of the regen, it looks like it could be a good wildflower season on the track with the reecent rains already bringing some stuff into flower.
FollowupID: 639039

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 00:04

Thursday, Jun 25, 2009 at 00:04
if your after an alternative less travelled or even an extension to the holland track (keep going Nth from coolgardie and pick up this track at Rowles lagoon before looping south to yellowdine and back to perth.

alternative to holland track

plenty of historic wells and rocks with largly unburned and immpressive woodlands
AnswerID: 371730

Reply By: DingoDon - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 21:30

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 21:30
We are planning to travel from Hyden to Coolgardie on Jul 13 to 16 2009. Approx 4 young families will be joining us. How much water is out there at the moment? Any info you could give us to better prepare would be golden

Thankyou

Don
AnswerID: 372532

Follow Up By: ricochet - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 22:56

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 22:56
Bit of rain this week but as long as there is no more it should dry out enough to be a good trip. The edges of the granites can hold moisture for a while so keep an eye open there. A lot of the area has been burnt in fires over the last couple of years but there is still some nice areas to camp. Wildflowers just starting to appear if you get out and have a look around. Expect cold nights if it is clear otherwise enjoy your trip.
FollowupID: 639774

Reply By: DingoDon - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 23:11

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2009 at 23:11
Thankyou Ricochet!!! That was a quick reply. Looking forward to the trip. Just taking extra precautions due to the young ages of the kids coming this time.
AnswerID: 372555

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 01:43

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 01:43
ricochet

Thanks for taking the time to reply and provide additional information. Unfortunate circumstances have delayed my response.

Rod,

Nice to hear from you again. We were out at Elachbutting Rock over the last long weekend, camped at Baladjie Rock where a great time was had by all, and there is now a short drive up to an upper level look out on the rock. We will post a link to the picture gallery.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 373405

Sponsored Links