Mobile phone coverage on Fraser Isl?

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 20:59
ThreadID: 7018 Views:2523 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can any one tell me of there experience of the mobile phone coverage on Fraser Isl? I have both GSM and CDMA phones both with Telstra. Will I need a long range antenna to get either of these to work?

I use the CDMA for range and the GSM for the internet / email although my experience with the CDMA phone hase been dissapointing. My formula for the CDMA phone is: If you have civilization or farmed paddocks on both sides of the road it will work, in other words if you are in the outback forget it.

Can the permits for Fraser Island can be booked over the internet?


Frankenstein is the name of the Landcruiser (The kids named it!)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martin - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 21:20

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 21:20
Go to the Telstra site and check the coverage maps. Mine worked some years ago so it'll only be better now. Do a search for the info on bookings again on the internet. I suggest Google and type fraser island. This will be a good start for you to find information. I find I can get information on many things using the internet. then there's travel agents, motoring organisations and even the telephone!
AnswerID: 30038

Reply By: petprass - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 21:45

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 21:45
Telstra GSM works at Eurong and Kingfisher. Maybe other small pockets around but not reliable.

Permits can be purchased on the internet (I did) - can't remember which web site, but it was something to do with Fraser Island tourist information.

AnswerID: 30042

Reply By: Prado Boy - Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 22:47

Wednesday, Sep 03, 2003 at 22:47

Quick question... Why on earth are you taking a mobile phone to Fraser Is.??? Turn it off and chuck it in the back mate and forget about it. Fraser Is. is the kinda place where mobiles just don't belong - go there to escape the rat race mate and leave whatever's on the other end of the phone behind - you won't regret it.

Leave your cares behind and soak the place up. It's pure magic, and one of the most relaxing spots I know off on the whole East Coast of Oz.

You can obtain permits from the EPA Naturally Queensland Centre, Ground Floor 160 Adelaide St. Brisbane (07) 3227 8186. You will need both a Vehicle Access Permit and Camping Permit.

Enjoy your trip. Cheers,
Prado Boy

P.S. If taking the mobile for safety reasons - I can understand. But you are never much more than 2 hours from help on most (note folks I said 'most') spots on the island anyway.
AnswerID: 30052

Reply By: tim_s - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 08:02

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 08:02

I will be there as of tomorrow for 8 days, with both CDMA and GSM phones (neither with in car kits or external aerials), so I will let you know. Last time I was there, I only had a GSM phone, which tended to work in isolated pockets. On the western side (near Kingfisher) it was OK as you could pick up the Harvey Bay signal.

As for booking, I believe you can try:

Booking Fraser

Hope the link works otherwise try:

AnswerID: 30068

Reply By: Rod - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 08:56

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 08:56
I've had GSM work on the eastern beaches till about half way up the island. Been a while since I was there last so it should have improved by now.
AnswerID: 30071

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:27

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:27

Both Telstra and Optus phones worked at Kingfisher Bay and Wathumba Creek on the Western side. They worked at Eurong and up at Waddy Point on the eastern side. There was no coverage on most of the eastern beach or along the in-land tracks.

You can book permits over the web here


But have to collect them from an office. If you're heading there via Rainbow Beach, the NPWS office there closes at 4:00 pm.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 30200

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)