Sydney to Mildura or Broken Hill night driving

Submitted: Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:08
ThreadID: 70190 Views:6549 Replies:12 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
G'day and thanks for your time and opinions
We are heading to Coober Pedy but the first leg of the trip is to either Brooken Hill or to Mildura, leaving Sydney at 8.00PM next Wednesday night. Which way do you reckon.
Thanks again

Scott
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: blue one - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:27

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:27
Well you will get lots of mince from the road kill. Just make sure one doesn't come through the windscreen.

Thursday might be a better idea.

Cheers
AnswerID: 372026

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:32

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:32
Bugger blue one
out thoughts were the same but you beat me to it.
Colin.
FollowupID: 639298

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:30

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:30
Scottx
Six of one and a half dozen of the other, just beware that whichever way you go the roos and other wild life are your enemy.

Possibly fewer trucks on the BH route.

Possibly fewer Roos on the other, the trucks have killed lots of them.
JMHO.
Colin.
AnswerID: 372027

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:36

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:36
Whichever way you go it's a lot further than 1000 K's.
Best break your journey before either one, otherwise you might finish up a statistic. Not a good way to start a holiday.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 372031

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:43

Friday, Jun 26, 2009 at 22:43
I would'nt be driving in those area's at night aspeacially with rain in the area the roo's tend to come and have a drink of the road,day time driving only,REMEMBER you can look out for roo's as hard as you can but it's THE ONE YOU DON'T SEE THAT WILL HIT YOU.cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 372033

Reply By: Honky - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 01:15

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 01:15
Well watch out for the goats.
Thousands of them if you go the way of broken hill and the other side of cobar.

Honky
AnswerID: 372036

Reply By: Scottx - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 07:55

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 07:55
Thanks for your replys I apreciate it
I might see if the girls can miss their sports carnaval and leave Wed morning. If not just go a little way Wed night and do the majority of driving in the daylight on Thursday. Either way I,m sure there will be no checkered flag waving when we get to darwin eventually.

Have a good one
Scott
AnswerID: 372042

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 16:58

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 16:58
If you stop at Cowra or Orange and continue next morning you will less likely to hit a roo, and also keep your family safe.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 639361

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 08:25

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 08:25
Hi Scott,
We have driven the Broken Hill to Nevertire road many times at night. You will find that a safe and maximum speed that we sat on was about 80 kph, sometimes slower in times when it has been dry and no rain. The worst section for roos, would be between Broken Hill and Cobar.

Any time of the year can be bad, but it is not the best when it has been hot and dry. I do not follow the weather conditions out in Western New South Wales, but if it has been wet, it will be a little better. As you know, roos are nocturnal and feed and travel at night. If wet, it will slow down their travel and in general, will be wide spread and less likely to be in greater numbers around the black stuff. The main reason, there will be good feed and moisture well out into their areas of travel.

It if is dry and been dry for a long time, different story. Any moisture will drain from bitumen and the roos are attracted to the moisture and new growth of young grasses that grow on the side of the road.

The most important thing with night travel, is that you have a good set of driving lights, 2 people in the front seat that are wide awake and watching the road constantly for any wildlife, including native, sheep and cattle, do not speed, and stop regularly, just to walk around the car and stretch you legs.
At the first sign of feeling a little drowsy, pull over and have a sleep.

Drive safely

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372043

Reply By: Jedo_03 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:11

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:11
Hi Scott
Have lived out here in Broken Hill for 22 yrs, all driving years and my advice to you is DON'T...
Especially when we find out that "we" includes "girls" who attend "sports carnivals" so I presume your children...
The night-driver and co-pilot 'spotter' out here should ideally be military trained... Do you and the co-pilot know what you are trying to 'spot'..??
It's not just Roo's (and the the profile of the roo is infinitely different depending on their type, size, colour, position and activity)... it's Emus, Pigs, Sheep, Goats, Cats, Foxes, European tourists on bicycles, and caracases/roadkill... Not to mention Road-Trains... And the roads out here are not Freeway quality... Some stretches are pretty good - and some stretches are pretty bumpy...
Distance from Sydney Broken Hill is over 1100 kms. State speed limit is 100kph until you reach Nevertire where it changes to 110. You will NOT do this trip in 10 hours or 11 hours or even 12 hours - even if you don't stop... And you have to stop for meals/toileting/fatigue
Why not Go to bed very early the night before; plan to be transiting Paramatta at dawn; Breakfast in Macca's at Bathurst; overnight Dubbo; 8 hours to Broken Hill from there; lunch stop at Cobar - 5 hours to B'Hill; overnight: on to Port Augusta next day...
Question here..?? Are you towing a van/trailer?? - If you are then add some hours to the above journey times...
Believe me 6 hours driving a day with 2xhalf hour stops and a good lunch stop with two "sports carnival" kids in the car (are we there yet...) is the MAX you should aim for... You're on holiday... Remember - Fatigue can Kill...
Jedo
AnswerID: 372048

Follow Up By: Jedo_03 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:26

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:26
Hi again...
Meant to add another thing... Time differences.
You are travelling west - Dawn here is 6.30; sunrise 7.10 - for you in Sydney that would be 6.00am and 6.40 sunrise.
More importantly Sunset here is 5pmish local and dusk by 5.15...
So if you are not leaving Cobar before Noon - it will be dark before you reach Broken Hill...
Take Care
Jedo
FollowupID: 639323

Follow Up By: Jedo_03 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:30

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:30
Me again
Now I'm awake...
It's Nyngan where the state limit increases to 110 - not Nevertire...
Jedo
FollowupID: 639324

Follow Up By: Scottx - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:24

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:24
G'day Jedo
Thanks heaps for the info.
Seeing as our plans were'nt set in concrete we will adjust them accordingly and do our travelling durring the day. The sun up and sun down info. is something I didn't think of until you mentioned it.
We are travelling in a 91 model troopy with nothing in tow, just tent etc. in the back. I usually cruise on somewhere around 90 - 95 km/hr and get decent fuel consumption at this speed. So I reckon smaller distances is the go after considering peoples answers and a bit more thought on my behalf.

Thanks
Scott
FollowupID: 639331

Follow Up By: Honky - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 21:28

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 21:28
Its 110 from wellington, dubbo. narromine all the way to broken hill.

Honky
FollowupID: 639398

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:53

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:53
I think your decision to travel in daylight is a wise one. As indicated the chances
of encountering marsupials & other obstacles is a very real risk. Roos hit trucks
& cars every night on the 4 lane Hume highway not 5 minutes from here, &
this is north of Canberra, not exactly the outback. Besides the trip will be far more interesting in daylight, unless you are a regular traveller of these roads.
You will find Mildura or Broken Hill a big drive in a day, but doable if you keep rolling,beware of fatigue & share the driving if possible. Have a great trip
...oldbaz.
AnswerID: 372068

Reply By: kend88 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 14:59

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 14:59
As soon as I read the original question I thought goats. Have never before seen goats on the road like those between Dubbo and Broken Hill. Just to satisfy my curiosity, are they on the road at night too?

KenD
bris
AnswerID: 372087

Follow Up By: Jedo_03 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 19:26

Saturday, Jun 27, 2009 at 19:26
They sure are...
Returned to Broken Hill from Mildura (left at 5pm) a few weeks ago (2 Patrols with full driving lights and radio contact - abt 1km apart) and hundreds of them... also sheep who are more stupid than goats) encountered single and mobs of Roo's, and an old Emu just south of Popiltah...
The Roo's that sit at the side of the road are a worry - but watch out for the ones further off the road that get startled and proceed to dash across the road in front of you at full bound... You don't even see them coming...
Happily - as we got to the Pine Creek junction (ex-Scotia Sanctuary road) one of the double tip trucks was pulling out from the Ginko Mine track and we asked the driver politely if it was okay to tag along behind him on dipped lights - he said Right-O and told us some entertaining tales via the UHF for the 160kms back to a Hill at a steady 95...
Jedo
FollowupID: 639381

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 00:15

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 00:15
The goats are not really a great problem most of the time, they seem to be aware of the traffic similar to the crows.
They seem to get out of the way a bit before you get really close.

As Jedo says, it is the roos that you can't see untill the last minute, that's the worry.
Remember your driving lights may only spread a few metres, maybe 20 metres off the side of the road.
It won't take a roo hopping at about 20 or 30 KPH too long to cover that distance.

I never travel over 80kph at night. It might take a bit longer to get home, but I have got a bit better chance of avoiding the roos at that speed.

Don't try and swerve around them either. You don't normally drive around corners at 80 + KPH.
If you hit a roo, then maybe the front of your car suffers a bit, but better that way than rolling over and endangering the lives of all in the car.

Dave

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639412

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 07:40

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 07:40
I just came through there two weeks ago . Started from near Cobar at 5.00 am - roos EVERYWHERE.

I waited for a truck and then asked on the UHF if I could sit behind him. Still not all that good, but better than doing 60 kph.

Best to go to Dubbo in the dark and then continue the next day.

Cheers,

Willie.
AnswerID: 372152

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 09:34

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 09:34
That's a good move Willie, although it's not a good idea to sit too close.
If he cleans one up and runs over it, it just appears in front of you as he spits it out the back so to speak.
If you are too close, you have no time to dodge the carcass and it could take out anything under you car if it's a big one.
I have seen that happen to me while I was driving the truck and noticed the car pull up quickly.

Dave

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639426

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:36

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:36
Dave,
That's a very helpful Broken Hill GPS guide you have created.
Thanks,
Willie.
FollowupID: 639442

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 14:00

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 14:00
id be more worried about them spitting out a tyre carcass

Sitting behind trucks because of roos isnt worth it

roos that are on the road pose no danger to you. you will easily see them.

its the ones that hop in front of you that are the problem. You would have to be right on a truckies tail to avoid this. To make things worse because you are behind the truck you will be on low beam
FollowupID: 639455

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:14

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:14
I have done plenty of night driving and its not as bad as people make out. Of course your chances of hitting roos are alot more but you said you will be leaving at 8.00 - well after dark. I have never hit a roo at night, all at dawn and dusk. at night they dont hop much as they have got where they are going. I see plenty but they just watch from the side of the road.

as for goats, sheep and emus. They cant see at night, they are not nocturnal. You may see see them but once again because there night vision is not good they wont be travelling accross the road suddenly in front of you.
another big tip is to never honk your horn at any animal you dont want to hit. It confuses them and often causes them to double back and act unpredictable.
When spotlighting that was a good trick to get roos to hop back out of the scrub that had beaten you to a fenceline
AnswerID: 372174

Sponsored Links