Coober Pedy To Lake Erye

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 12:21
ThreadID: 70215 Views:2410 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Can any one put us onto some trek notes that take us from Coober Pedy to Lake Eyre as we will be out there in a couple of weeks and would like to do a day trip from Coober regards Alan.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 12:35

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 12:35
Hi Alan
Sorry, but you would not be able to do it as a day trip from Coober Pedy. Depending on which track you take, you will need more time than that. There are some interesting places out that way, take your time and take them all in.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372183

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 17:35

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 17:35
You can take the Coober Pedy - William Creek track and either stay at the Pub or camping ground opposite.

About seven kilometres along the Oodnadatta Track towards Marree, there is a turnoff to Halligan Bay. Quite a good drive out of around an hour or so.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372219

Follow Up By: Member - Sigmund (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 18:33

Sunday, Jun 28, 2009 at 18:33
Yep.

Look up CP and William Ck in Places on this website. Also check out Road Conditions here for the Ood. Tk and the William Ck road.
FollowupID: 639481

Reply By: Pezza QLD - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 02:30

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 02:30
Hi Alan,

Can't see why it can't be done in a day, the road leading out of Coober Pedy to William Creek is well signed and easy to find and is a major dirt road all the way to William ck, it's 168 km and will take you a 2 - 2.5 hrs at 90 - 100 kph, which is more than possible as it is a good road as you can see here, this was taken beginning of May.

10 km south of William Creek is the turn off to Halligans bay and it will take you about an hour to get the 60 km out to the bay, again it is a good road, albeit corrugated, with a few minor sandy sections.
It will be a big day but definately possible, depends on what you call "a day", there is not much to see between Coober Pedy and William Creek, especially for the first 70 km, unless you want to have a picnic in "The Moon Plain", would suggest you take a pillow to sit on though. lol

IMO the camping at William Ck is a bit ordinary and I would much prefer any of the three c'van parks at Coober Pedy.
Don't forget to do a day trip out to 'The Breakaways' on the road leading to Oodnadatta 30 km out of Coober Pedy, it is well worth the drive.

Cheers
Pezza

AnswerID: 372271

Sponsored Links