Melbourne to Leigh Creek

Submitted: Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:40
ThreadID: 70246 Views:2398 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Morning/Evening all
can anyone tell me how we would get to Leigh creek from Melbourne? would like to visit another cousin while i'm over in september (will be staying with another cousin in Melbourne) flying would be preferable, i know they have an airport of sorts, can anyone help, Many Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:01

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:01
Hi The quickest way to Leigh Creek from Melbourne is the Western Highway to Bordertown. Driving through Adelaide may be a little longer, but easier if you do not know the way. From Adelaide, take Main North Road, through Clare (my home town), through to Spalding, Jamestown, Orroroo, Cradock through to Hawker. From Hawker, head due north to Leigh Creek.

Do not go through Port Augusta, to Quorn, it will take you longer and is not a direct route.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 372351

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 21:30

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 21:30
Hi Stephen

We find it a lot better to go via Pt Augusta (almost), then up to Quorn , Our various plots have shown it to be about 1320km with under 15 hrs driving from Melbourne , as opposed to out the back way as you prefer.

We found that the road is a lot less flat and less straight via Clare etc , however it is a more interesting drive that way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friends have taken plane from melbourne Morrabbin airport to Leigh creek, although I don't know if this is a regular flight.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 639627

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 22:52

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 22:52
Hi Robin,
If you went via Clare the way I have mentioned, it is the quicker route. If you went Clare, Yacka, Georgetown, Melrose etc, that way is hilly, narrow roads and longer. Clare, Jamestown route is 3 hours to Hawker at 100 kph compared to Clare Melrose Hawker at 100kph with 3.25 hours to Hawker.

Adelaide via Highway 1 to Stirling North then to Quorn is a lot longer, more traffic and trucks to get stuck behind and then a slow trip to Quorn.

Each to their own, but I know which way we go every time when we head that way. Give it a go next time and you will see it is a better route.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639638

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 23:03

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 23:03
Sorry Robin,
I made a very big stuff up, Clare Jamestown Hawker is only 2 1/2 hours from Clare, 3 hours to Wilpena.

Sorry

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639639

Reply By: Pagan witch - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:08

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:08
Hoi Stephen, thanks for the directions, could we go by plane or train even? not sure we have the time to drive Thanks Debbie
AnswerID: 372353

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:38

Monday, Jun 29, 2009 at 19:38
Hi Debbie,
I am not sure of a regional flight from Adelaide to Leigh Creek. I know they do Adelaide - Port Augusta. I would think that there should be a flight to Leigh Creek.
You could ring the Leigh Creek Regional Visitor Information Centre on Tuesday on 08 - 8675 2723 and they should know who will fly you in. Also Edwards Aviation Australia claim that they fly into all regional South Australian airfields - 0427 202 535 or 1800 747 800

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 639599

Sponsored Links