Holden Rodeo's LPG vs Diesel

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:05
ThreadID: 7031 Views:4046 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Greeting's all !!! I'm looking to update my current 2.6 Rodeo to a 2001/2002 model (...don't like the brand new one's...) and I'd like to know more on running the 3.2 V6 on LPG >>> eg. how many k's out of a tank of gas?, is it worth the conversion cost?, would you do it again? etc. I'm in Sydney and Gas is rather cheap so would suit my running around town and trips into the mountains & Stockton etc. I've priced a few LPG units, but I'd like to get the opinions of Rodeo owner's .
Or, should I put the money to be spent on the conversion towards a Diesel Rodeo ???? Question for 2.8 & 3ltr diesel owners - what sort of range do you get out of the 63ltr tank?

Looking forward to you're answers
Regards
LP
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hughesy - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:57

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:57
LP, I used to own a 90 model with 2.8TD and it was great. Averaged 8.5l/100km and could get as much as 7l/100km with back country road sightseeing (70km/h). Another thing I read the other day in the RACQ mag was that by 2008 (I think??) the government will abolish the tax breaks on LPG and hence it will be taxed the same as petrol/diesel fuel. If this happens you might have already got the cost of the conversion back by then but the resale value of an LPG vehicle will be pretty poor. Whereas if you go for the diesel, and they are a great motor, your fuel bill will be significantly lower and the resale value much higher. Just my thought anyway.
Cheers,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 30081

Follow Up By: LP - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:01

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:01
Thanks for your input Hughsey, I really appreciate your experience, and info re: tax breaks on LPG.
Cheers
LP
FollowupID: 21169

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:44

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 17:44
Yes the present government has plans to slowly increase the tax on LPG. The tax on fuel will be based on the energy content relative to diesel. It appears that diesel will be taxed most followed by petrol and then LPG. At what rate will petrol and LPG be taxed at relative to diesel ? well, no one knows. I guess we are all going to get a kick in the pants.Hooroo
FollowupID: 21176

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 19:18

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 19:18
Luke looked into it, nothign is due to happen till 2006, so dont panic!

I had a 1990 TF Rodeo, Petrol, and did 330,000 in it, never missed a beat towing race bikes round aussie. It is still going owned by a Baconer in Cronulla.

I'd have a Rodeo in a flash. Flogged the shiat out of that thing, was 2wd model, and it was nearly written off once in an accident...

I dont like LPG, specially if your planning long trips to nowhere, not many places have LPG...
FollowupID: 21185

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 19:56

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 19:56
I've had 4 dual fuel vehicles over the last 10yrs and saved a fair fortune in fuel costs and have never given an ounce of trouble.

Yep if you're beating around the real outback LPG aint much good but lets be honest and ask ourselves how many k's we actually do where LPG isn't available. For most of us it's stuff all and it sure makes getting there and back and our running around town a lot cheaper.

The writing may be on the wall for LPG though, depends on the unknown tax rate they slap on it.

Hooroo
FollowupID: 21192

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 20:33

Thursday, Sep 04, 2003 at 20:33
Oh yeah, another advantage of dual fuel is that if something should happen to the petrol system such as the fuel pump karks it you can run on LPG for at least a few hundred k. I fill up on LPG at the last supply and try not to use it until I'm within range of the next supply. I knocked off work at 2.00am one morn, damn vehicle wouldn't start so I flicked the switch to start on LPG and away she went. Next day the problem was traced to a faulty connector...12 volt supply to the fuel pump.Hooroo
FollowupID: 21199

Follow Up By: Luke - Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:56

Friday, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:56
>>Luke looked into it, nothign is due to happen till 2006, so dont panic

...it was 2008, and it will be implemented over a period of some years in five stages...so don't expect LPG to get anywhere near the price of petrol or deisel for quite a few years yet :-)
FollowupID: 21246

Sponsored Links