City Folk or "New Ausies" ?

Submitted: Friday, Jul 03, 2009 at 22:28
ThreadID: 70375 Views:3485 Replies:16 FollowUps:29
This Thread has been Archived
I will start this off by saying I give my fair share of head shaking experiences for some people so this is not a slurr on a particular community or race.

Down in the big smoke (working) and come accross a "new Aussie" trying to inflate his very flat tyre at 1/4 to 9 this morning at a servo i was about to start contracted work in. 1st problem was the hose only had a quick connect gas fitting on it and was obvious the gauge and tyre valve connector had to be plugged into this hose before you could put air into the tyre....but that didn't stop our "new Aussie" from trying though. When I helped out by telling him to ask in store for the other bit to the hose he said angrily "I haven't got time for this" (seemingly blaming me) and went to get in his car to drive down a 110kph freeway. I mentioned how flat the tyre was and surely he was not serious about just driving off but drive off he did. No bull this tyre would have allowed this daewoo to safely negotiate Fraser Island, it could not have been more than about 10psi in it at best and was bagging very nicely......if you were looking at it on a 4b on Fraser but not on a Daewoo going down a 110kph freeway.........shake my head and mind my own business I kept saying to myself.

Next I was doing contract work in the same servo and when I saw a bit of surface rust on associated hardware to my contracted work, something that was not dangerous but was cosmetic, I went to rub it back with a bit of sandpaper and touch it up with a quick spray pack. Was always going to be a bit better looking than it was but never would it have been "as new". I had no means or interest in charging for this 10 minute job but went to do it anyway. Out come our "new Aussie" store manager and proceeded to rip shreads off me for trying to do extra jobs to increase his bill from me. I burred up and told him I had no way of charging him or any desire to charge him but was doing it out of the goodness of my heart. He eased a little and in the end was happy with the result but what the hell..... is this the type of attitude most people experience with all city folk or is it just that I struck two arrogantly self rightous "new Aussies" at the same time in the same place?

All I can say is thank god for most of my work being in the country with genuinely friendly folk willing to thank you for any efforts you put in.

Bloody cold miserbale weather down here too, reckon it was sleeting up blue mountains when I was up there.

Cheers Trevor.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flywest - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 00:39

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 00:39
Trev,

After growing up in the city as a kid & spending the next 30 odd years in the bush, I've come back to the city, and one thing I can guarantee you, is that GENERALLY city folks are different.

Its Ok to be rude, arrogant, a know all, and to otherwise be unsociable in the city - theres always another person to become friends with or become a customer of your business etc just round the corner.

In the bush - everyone knows everyone and word travels fast, if your ANY of the above traits then - in the bush it comes back to bite you on the rear VERY fast!

Country folk ARE nicer, more polite etc etc because they have learned the hard way that they HAVE to be.

Country folks have to pull together in emergencies - you might befighting a bushfire with someone you don't particularly like - to save yours or his house (or both even), and you just HAVE to get along!

Surviving the rigours of the bush means a LOT of "past problems" tend to get healed or forgotten along the way!

Yeah the citys different - and it isn't better by a long shot.

City folks - when they have had enough - go tot he bush to meet all the friendly country folk!

They are called tourists - but the country folk know them as terrorists! ;o)

Citys are fine to visit....but who'd wanna live there!

Cheers
AnswerID: 373010

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 19:29

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 19:29
I've worked and traveled to lots of country towns.... Plenty of rude, uninterested, arrogant, know-it-all characters to be found.

If you are part of the town... no worries.

I find that it is up to you to make the first move with any stranger. Done the right way, you get a good response. .... sometimes.

PS..... I vote 'not to live in the city'... but think people are people everywhere.

FollowupID: 640298

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 06:55

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 06:55
You weren't working in your QUEENSLAND jersey down there again were you??

hahahaha

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 373016

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:13

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:13
You are spot on Kev, but no that was not the reason behind this pairs sheer silly mindness.

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 640275

Reply By: BenDiD - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 07:41

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 07:41
I've had many similar experiences. I guess it's just that some people have come from a culture so different to ours, where everyone is trying to shaft everyone else and it takes a while to realise things are done differently (and in my opinion, better) here in the luck country.
AnswerID: 373018

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 08:24

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 08:24
Reminds me....I filled my truck with diesel at servo on Sydney's outskirts a couple of years ago, went in to swipe the card at the counter, waited for the slip to sign and tried to engage the Middle Eastern guy behind the counter in a bit of banter..... "how's your day goin'..." that sort of thing, to which I got grunts for replies, and then after the card had been approved and he handed me the receipt, I said (As I always do...) "Have a nice day mate".... his reply???? (Assume gutteral Persian accent here)

"Give-me-back-my-pen!"

LOL..........

Cheers

Brian

AnswerID: 373027

Follow Up By: tim_c - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 14:41

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 14:41
Don't give up Brian: he could be just having a bad day - don't let it ruins yours!

More likely: consider how 99% of the customers probably treat him - it may take a bit of treating him as a fellow human being before he responds
FollowupID: 640270

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 06:52

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 06:52
tim_c...
He may well have been..... I can tell you that there has been plenty of times when I have felt the same way!! LOL.... I think we've ALL been there and done that haven't we??

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 640333

Reply By: Gramps - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 08:36

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 08:36
Of course they're cranky, stuck over here when everything is so much better in the 'old country' LOL

AnswerID: 373028

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:15

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:15
You never fail to make me laugh Gramps, you are one of the funniest blokes on here. ROFL!!!

Thanks for the cheer up.
Trevor.
FollowupID: 640276

Follow Up By: Gramps - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 17:11

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 17:11
Trevor,

Glad you had a chuckle. Ignore the politically correct narks they have very sad lives.

Regards
FollowupID: 640281

Reply By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 11:38

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 11:38
G/Day Trev, The big thing iv'e noticed with Servos all over the state is their changing colour on the outside, and inside!!, and yes attitude seems to be different..lol.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 373049

Follow Up By: landed eagle - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 15:47

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 15:47
It's about time we started calling 'em just 'stations'......there ain't much 'service' going on in them these days.
FollowupID: 640273

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 22:03

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 22:03
Surprising when you DO get driveway service.

Still a fair few in Tassie...

and I got service in Barraba NSW... nice.
FollowupID: 640310

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 11:57

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 11:57
I love the Great Australian COUNTRY side where you have to use a dirt road to get to. Glad there is still some of us on the same page. Got my licence back after 6 mths. The drivers have changed. People are in such a hurry. I'm just glad I don't have to walk any more. Take notice at stop signs. Who dose the right thing and stops for 3 seconds. Our kids school have talking imports. The woman are so rude. I waited in line at the uniform shop. Then this hm just pushed her way in. Sat and did the parent reading thing and their offspring are the same. Wont wait in turn. Naa not happy at all. We were brought up to be nice treat people how you want to be treated. Not our fault they didn't get the chance.
AnswerID: 373052

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 14:18

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 14:18
I am a firm beleiver in not blaming your upbringing for how you are, but a good upbringing will help you intergrate with society a little quicker and more sucessfully if that's the way you choose to go. In Aus I think we all get the same chance to be who we want to be. Some may have to work a little harder than others to fulfill their dreams but anything is doable. Young child in my son's class has just topped the class in English and moved a grade ahead in his studies and this from a home where English is the second language.

Yeah the more I travel the more I really appreciate the good honest values of so many folk that call the country home. We have been coastal dwellers for all our lives but periodically we venture to where the red dust revitalises my bloodstream. Wouldn't mind calling some of this country home myself oneday. Things like what just happened down in the city make me think even more about what is best for my children, city or country???

Cheers Old Girl, Trevor.
FollowupID: 640370

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 19:54

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 19:54
Trevor Your so right. In this country we all and I mean all have the chance to get a great education and so on. I don't like the city because I'm scared stiff of it. I have 4 different nationalities inc many mentioned after my post. What happened years ago that some one else mentioned was before any of us were born. No one in their right mind thinks it was ok I cant believe it still comes up. I can only comment on my personal experience and will continue to do so if someone didnt like it take a teaspoon of concrete I recon.

Being nice and a smile goes a long way and its free no matter who its to.

Sharon
FollowupID: 640415

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 14:17

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 14:17
Hmmmm ...I wonder if the Aborigines felt this way when Europeans rocked up here

Cheer Pop
AnswerID: 373064

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 15:10

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 15:10
Good point Pop.

I reckon the difference is that the current immigrants may be just rude (and i'm not sure that they are), but the immigrants in the late 1700's to the early 1900's actually shot our fellow human beings (Aborigines) for sport.

Jim.
FollowupID: 640272

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:34

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:34
Pop,

I have and continue to know plenty a "new Aussie" but none from the big smoke, so this I think relates more to the "city folk attitude" more than the "new Aussie attitude" ??? maybe it was just a combination of both and me catching these two guys at a bad time.

As mentioned I am sure there has been many a moment in my life where a few people have shaken thier head in disbelief at some of my stupidness. I only hope and believe I have not taken to an individual like this pair did when someone was trying to help me.......ohhhh maybe my dad hehehe poor bugger. He loves the saying "You can lead a horse to water....."

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 640279

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 18:07

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 18:07
Jim, in the 1700's the word immigrant was slang for invader, murder, et al... lol

Louie
FollowupID: 640287

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 14:22

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 14:22
I can recognise some issues between the country culture of OZ and the crazy attitudes in our big cities. But I can't see how this can be so quickly translated into a racist thing about migrants vs 'real' Australians. It isn't the same thing. There are plenty of drop kick Aussies around, some in the cities, and plenty in the rural areas too.
Let's just be grateful for the typical Oz bush attitude, and stop having a go at migrants.
AnswerID: 373065

Follow Up By: Member - steveinoz (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:04

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:04
I live in an town where out population exists of

* 45% Turkish * 24% Asian * 15% Lebanese * 10% Others & * 6% Ozzie

As a past business person for Thirty Years I have found a lot a very close friends in all of these community minded groups. But a very small percentage of all of them, I can always pick out the bad apples. It dose not matter where in this big wide world of ours you live your peaceful life will always be spoilt by those who thick they have the right to have what every they need, as long as they can get it for nothing and walking over every one else to get it. As a migrant myself, I have work in Oz for the past Forty years, achieved a high status in my community. President of the Chamber of Commerce, President of our Lions Club, have collected several community awards over the years as have many of the community members from all of the other factions that live and work in our community. I honestly believe that if you come to this wonderful country and are prepared to put in you two bobs worth you will get the full dollar back. Teach your Kids how to treat other pepole and the country we will be able to enjoy live as we are the winners of what this country has to offer. Cheers...

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 640274

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:50

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:50
Hi Chris,
yes, tend to agree. I was brought up in the country (great upbringing, loved the country) and since then I've lived in a couple of vile towns where I wouldn't give you tuppence for their so-called "good honest country values" (a phrase much-used by some pollies). But I also know many really decent country people and our friendship continues long since I've left the area. The same applies in the city - just depends who you run into, and regardless of the suburb. You get what you find and occasionally you meet a stinker.

Re Trevor's comments, I've come across "non-ethnic", true-blue Aussie people with similar attitudes to those he mentions. I can understand his amazement at the servo manager trying to stop him doing a freebie. But to be fair, I've had to fight off dealers trying to overservice my Nissan, doing work that is patently unnecessary, and at my cost. And on the other hand, I've had a dealer who went through and fixed quite a few items at no charge; I'll certainly go back there when again in Coffs. You get who you find.

But there are cultural differences between country and city, just as there are between different ethnicities. Some people see the differences as negative, others see the positive side and reject or embrace them accordingly.

And I live in the city these days, but always enjoy the country (and frequently listen to the ABC's country farming reports but refuse to listen to Macca-on-a-Sunday).
There! My two bob's worth.
cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 640280

Reply By: Tadooch - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:01

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:01
With the Indian boys just mention cricket...you'll be surprised.
AnswerID: 373077

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:24

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:24
Tadooch, you are very correct about their beloved cricket. I deal on a very high level with an Indian exporter and cricket is very high on our topic of conversations.

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 640278

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:29

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:29
I came back to live in the Smoke a couple of years ago.

It has taken a while but I have developed a good relationship with a couple of the guys who work at the local Servo. As I said it took a while, at first they just wante to serve me and get me out of the place. But over time with just a little friendly banter from time to time that has chnaged. Now they now initiate the banter, I love it.

But you know when I firt moved to the bush it took a while to build relationships with people and I dd meet one business owner whose premisis I will never enter again because he was just plain rude.

Most people in the big cities are flat out just surviving. They are mostly not trying to be rude they just forget to take the time to be nice.
I have found with most people that if you take the time with them they will learn to take the time for you.

Keep trying and when someone is pleasant back to you, thank them. I recently got a free wheel alignment because I responded pleasantly to the tyre shops stuff up. Guess wher I am going next time I want to by 4 tyres @ $350 each.

Being pleasant pays off.

Duncs
AnswerID: 373082

Reply By: Isuzumu - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:55

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:55
Nothing like that happening out here in Jericho Treor hahahahaa bloody cold in Barcy this morning though. Great little camp spot just out of town here in Jericho along side the creek there is a couple of yabbies around and the scotch and coke is pretty good to hehehehe
AnswerID: 373083

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 21:38

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 21:38
Don't worry Bruce, Tamworth was -1c right up until 8am this morning so you are not alone in the "brass monkey" camping stakes.

Have fun out there you lucky buggers.
Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 640307

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 18:02

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 18:02
My dad was a "new Aussie" 52 years ago. He's a whole lot nicer than some "real Aussies" I've met. BTW, he's been a "real Aussie" for about 45 of those years. More Australian than Paul Hogan is my old man.

I live in the outer-metro zone that was, not long ago, considered country. Some of the people here, as in other places I've been, are right a-holes. And I've met some great city people.

Bit of an over generalization me thinks. JMHO.

Louie die Fliege

AnswerID: 373089

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 19:25

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 19:25
"New Aussie" or not.... plenty of modern people are the way you described. Could just as well have been in any country town too.

Plenty of farm kids grow up on Nintendo's, Gameboys and Ipods and are turning out just the same.

How many people in their 20s can change a wheel nowadays? Sure, less in town, but plenty of other Aussies too.
AnswerID: 373102

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 19:41

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 19:41
But Royce

That would not have made a GOOD story.. :-)

Regards

Richard Kovac
FollowupID: 640301

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 23:56

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 23:56
Whats your last name Trevor?

Just a test to see how "new Aussie" you are..

Please be the Man

Cheers

Richard Kovac
AnswerID: 373123

Follow Up By: Ross H (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 00:51

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 00:51
Hi Richard

I fail to see what Trevors last name has to do with this post. The main concern here is he was trying to help or give some one some advise and try to prevent an accident as the guy in question took off down a 110km/h freeway. Im sure Trevor would feel sick in the stomach if 10 min later he came across an accident.
This post is not about race or colour and I can assure you Trevor would be the first to help regardless of what you look like.
You only get out of life what you put in...?

Regards Ross
FollowupID: 640325

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 01:00

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 01:00
Thats fine Ross,

If that is the case, but why the "new Aussie" remark, the same story could have been told without that remark, I'm sure, but it was said and I'm only asking Trevor for he's last name thats all nothing more nothing less, thats all..

Regards

Richard Kovac
FollowupID: 640326

Follow Up By: Ross H (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 01:20

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 01:20
Hi Richard

I guess we live in a world where it is very hard not to offend anyone.
Me I don't find the term new Aussie offensive. I think if you single them out by race or colour you are (sorry just my opinion).
By using the term new Aussie you are not singling out any particular nationality therefore you would hope have less chance of upsetting someone accidentally.

Regards Ross
FollowupID: 640328

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 02:19

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 02:19
HayRoss forget my last name, I was born and bred in Broadford Vic, Aussie is what I'm am....

My question To Trevor was what was he's last name, thats it no more no less.

The term New Australian has been used for years and I'm sue still will be, But as I said to a reply to Royce (it would not have made as good a story without the remark) ..

regards

Richard Kovac

Or as Grumps Al says KOVAC...;-)
FollowupID: 640330

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 08:03

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 08:03
Hi Richard,

I don't like to offend you and am dissapoointed this topic has done so.

"The man" was born in Ipswich Qld in 71 his father before him was also born there in 50, his mother born in Esk Qld in 54. Both sets of grandparents born in Aus around the early 20's any further back and I would need to consult my Aunty who has done the family tree on my fathers side. I know my mother's father's mother was from Germany but she was brought to Aus when she was a little girl, so presumably late 1800's. Father's mother's side goes back to the first fleet. So in effect you are right, because I am not aboriginal I am as "new Aussie" as the rest of us but just not as new as some. This has nothing to do with how long I or anyone else has been in Aus, but is more about the arrogance of a couple of people when someone tried to help them and a question as to whther this was related to the fact they lived in the city to breed this arrogance.

It is sometimes difficult to see how someone is trying to politely talk about someone else's stupidity without offending another person of the same background or upbringing (black, white or brindle, religous, non religous ect ect). A bit like someone talking bad about your sister when someone talks bad about a minority group. Pretty hard to call the whole of Sydney a minority group though.

Best regards,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 640339

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 09:54

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 09:54
Hang on Richard, if you are going to send me a xmas card won't you need my address too? ;-))

Lighten up dude, this is not a racial slur nor will I ever attempt to start a racially motivated thread.

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 640346

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 13:11

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 13:11
Thanks for the MM, I respect your requset .

I was only asking a question not having a go at you as you will see in my follow up MM.

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 640361

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 13:57

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 13:57
Richard, all warm and fuzzy around here now. That's how a discussion should take place for both parties opinions to be taken into account. Shame some peopledidn't engage the same tatics to deal with the situations that lead up to me posting this topic.

Insert handshake here -+-

Regards,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 640366

Follow Up By: tim_c - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 11:59

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 11:59
I don't think Trev was accusing any particular 'group' of people of being rude... His thread was simply asking the question why two people were rude to him. Since he'd noticed that both people were city-dwellers, both were 'new Aussies' he questioned whether either of these 'observations' might be significant?

I'm sure that not too many people would argue with someone who observed that the inhabitants of Australia, in general, are becoming more and more selfish, having less and less regard for their fellow man (and that includes respect for their fellow man's property).

Now, what's causing this decline in respect for others? First, I would suggest it's a generation of baby-boomers who failed to teach respect to the following generation (ie. their children). Instead, they (& again, in general terms - not everybody) pampered their children so they wouldn't have it 'as tough as we did' and treated them.

Spending some time in Jakarta has shocked me at just how unselfish most of the people in Austraila are when compared to those elsewhere. It seems to me that in this city of around 20 million people, most of them appear completely oblivious to the presence of the other 19,999,999 people! Just yesterday, we were stuck in a traffic jam on a major arterial road - the cause? Someone had TRIPLE-parked blocking the LH lane and was sitting in his car with the four-ways flashing. The irony was that had he moved forward just one car length, he could have actually pulled out of the lane and let the traffic flow smoothly.

Seeing things like that leads me to question: are we also importing a lot of selfishness?! Don't get me wrong, I'm not against immigration (many of my closest friends (or their parents) were not born in Australia) but I think we all need to acknowledge that many of these cultures have some traits that are not desirable/pleasing to us Aussies (and I'm sure that Aussies have some traits that are not desirable/pleasing to them!).

So to summarise, and in line with Trev's original question: The selfishness/rudeness/violence that we are seeing more and more - is it a result of parents not teaching their children to respect others, or is it because we are 'importing' some of these attitudes from abroad? Personally, I believe it's both of those causes.
FollowupID: 640465

Follow Up By: Bagwon - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 15:34

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 15:34
Tend to agree Tim. I also think people are so unhappy with the pressures on them these days they spit the dummy without thinking about how selfish they are behaving .The amount of road rage around these days is disgusting and down right concerning.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 640479

Reply By: Nargun51 - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 14:08

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 14:08
Before I start my diatribe, allow me to state my vested interest in this topic. I am a 5th generation Australian, and my ancestors were amongst the 1st white settlers in the country town I grew up in. It was 4 generations before the 1st of the family married outside the family’s Presbyterian Scottish background (and that was to a person with an English C of E background).

However, my wife is a refugee (and under Jewish law; Jewish). My children are adopted from Asia.

Some on this forum may have the intelligence, education, insight, empathy and imagination to understand my interest in this topic.

Anybody who moves outside their own comfort zone would know that Australia is profoundly racist. However, Australian racism is different compared to that in other countries; it is not institutionalised and the racism dissolves when Australians get to know people on a personal level. A generalisation, but an Australian’s racism disappears when the person of a different race is known on the basis of their personal strengths, and their value as a “mate” is known.

Cut out of the original post all reference to “new Aussies” or “city slickers” and the post becomes “I offered someone some advice and they ignored me”…so what?

For what it’s worth I consider racism, religious intolerance, class discrimination and City/Country barriers are the traits of truly insecure, fearful people.

They are scared to step outside what they grew up or understand

I love the ability to explore other cultures and religions and adopt what I want from them. Some of the ideas I ignore, others I take on freely.

Imagine if a coffee was Maxwell House; pasta was Heinz spaghetti, vegetables were peas, potato and pumpkin boiled to within an inch of their lives…the list can go on. (Even the pub staple of chicken parma is Italian)

Personally, I believe Australia is one of the few nations in the world where such a mismatch of backgrounds that exist within my family could exist without issue. For that I am truly proud to be an Australian
AnswerID: 373307

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 12:39

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 12:39
"Cut out of the original post all reference to “new Aussies” or “city slickers” and the post becomes “I offered someone some advice and they ignored me”…so what?"

Not quite. A true interpretation of what I said. In my opinion, I was inferring more like; I offered someone some advice and got abused for it..... screw them!!! arrogant $@%%$

I, similar to you, embrace the opportunity to learn and adopt positive aspects from different cultures. I for example love the way Thai people are truely family orientated and respecting of their older generations and nurturing of the younger generations, something we all should embrace and encourage others to do likewise.

Plenty of other international examples could be added here too, but you get my drift.

Best regards,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 640584

Sponsored Links