Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:14

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:14
I travelled the Strzlecki from Lyndhurst to Cameron at just after Easter this year.

The track was in generally pretty average condition. The Strz is generally a good quality dirt road.

Like all dirt roads it comes and goes a bit but I have never seen it in what I would call poor condition. Generally travel speeds of around 80km/h are reasonable to expect but, as I said it is a dirt road, it will vary and so will peoples attitude or opinion about what is a reasonable speed.

On the Merty Merty Rd from Merty Merty to Cameron the top of the dunes are usually chopped up a bit. When we were there the east side of the dunes was the worst but it was nothing to be overly concerned about. A sensible approach and speed should see you travelling safely with no problems.

Duncs
AnswerID: 373079

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:21

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 16:21
Fuji,

The Strzelecki Track does not go to Cameron Corner.

There is a turnoff near Merty Merty onto a secondary but very good track that heads east past Bollards Lagoon Station to Cameron Corner.
The track undulates through sandhill country and then levels out somewhat as you near Bollards Lagoon.

Actually, the track provides a smoother base than the crushed rock base of much of the Strzelecki.

The Strzelecki Track stretches from Lyndhurst, past Moomba Gas Fields and finishes at Innamincka on Cooper Creek.

A favorite part of "my country".

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 373081

Follow Up By: fuji - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 13:41

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 13:41
thanks Bill
The road from merty merty is the one I will be travelling on from Innamincka to CC. glad to hear it's not a bad road.

fuji
FollowupID: 640364

Reply By: carlj - Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 19:58

Saturday, Jul 04, 2009 at 19:58
We came through there about 3 weeks ago, as you get near merty merty there a few large bull dust holes on the Strzelecki Track and about half way to Cameron corner there are a lot of bull bust holes just over the top of the sand hills on the east side. There was a road gang working their way east when we went through
AnswerID: 373104

Reply By: fuji - Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 13:39

Sunday, Jul 05, 2009 at 13:39
thanks duncs much appreciated.

fuji
AnswerID: 373166

Sponsored Links