Buchana Highway Camping Spots & Highlights

Submitted: Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 15:51
ThreadID: 70439 Views:1883 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We want to head up this way next year want to cut through here on our way to Kunnanurra. Would appreciate advice on best spots to camp & any highlights. We have a Jeep Grand Cherokke diesel & Spureme Getaway off-road van which should be fine for the road condidtions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 16:27

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 16:27
There is nothing on the NT Gov road report website about any problems (which usually means there aren't any), but have sent them an email requesting info anyway. I take it, that you are talking about the "Buchanan" between the Buntine Highway and the Victoria Highway? I'll drop a reply here if and when they get back to me.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 373322

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 16:38

Monday, Jul 06, 2009 at 16:38
PS.
sorry! should have asked if you were planning to take the whole of the Buchanan, from Dunmarra (Stuart Highway) to Top Springs, and then to the Victoria Highway east of Timber Creek...????
Fred B

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640487

Follow Up By: ChrisK - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 08:28

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 08:28
Fred,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, we are intending to come up the Stuart highway from Melbourne and turn off at Dunmurra & go all the way through to Top Springs & then onto Timber Creek, Kunnanurra etc. From the little I've heard the road is OK for a std 4x4 & off-road van. I have heard there are some really great spots around Victoria River Downs & Jasper gorge. If you are local to this area you may know of some really good camping spots to spend a few days.
ChrisK
Melbourne
FollowupID: 640559

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:07

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:07
Hi Chris,
the email address for the road info you need is:
roadreporting.dipe@nt.gov.au

I recieved the following info from them today:
"The road is in relatively good condition several weeks ago although it can change fairly quickly with cattle movement. The road has several long curves near VRD station that are prone to corrugation. At the present time we should have a maintenance crew working to the west of VRD station and possibly some other roadworks between VRD and the Vic Hwy. "
"Feel free to contact us closer to the time you are travelling for further information".

Chris, the only camping area that I can think of at the moment is "Charlies Crossing Campground" which is about 55km south of the Victoria/Buchanan intersection. This is in the camps 5 book. All my info is 20yrs out of date. I'll ask around and see what I can come up with.

Fred B

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 640567

Sponsored Links