PleaseHelp. Pommies looking for advice on tyres to choose for BIG TRIP

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 04:04
ThreadID: 70483 Views:3647 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi after advice recieived from earlier thread I have decided to sell my 255x85x16 bfg mud terrains as they are not easily available off the shelf out there and I plan to get myself six new tyres for the big trip. I own a Turbo diesel Pinzgauer that we are shipping from the uk to tour your beautiful country after falling in love with Oz ten years ago on a working holiday. So now I want your advice on a great tyre for a heavy 4x4 that will do plenty of off roading but still be ok on bitumen roads???????
Do I stay with BFGs in maybe 265 75 16? or 285 75 16??
OR
Maybe Cooper STT s
OR
Whats your say -You live there- I need advice please??

Very kind regards to you all for your input and maybe you will see us in the Pinzgauer TD over there some time soon. Tyron and justine
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 05:13

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 05:13
Go for the BFG A/T (All Terrain). They are good in all conditions. I am having a wonderful run out of them. Enjoy your trip.
Cheers
DW
AnswerID: 373547

Follow Up By: Rossc0 - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:11

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:11
Second for the BFG A/T.

Our last trip we did 6500kms of which 4500kms were dirt roads and no problems what so ever with these.

In fact they still look like new.

Have a great trip.

Cheers
Ross
FollowupID: 640697

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 07:59

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 07:59
Tyron
Both tyres you mention are good for the job and are readily available in most major towns, should you need replacements.

The vehicle is not available here in Australia, so I guess you have considered that, and are carrying the possible spare parts that it may need.

Plan well, and have a wonderful trip, and take your time as the best things are not near the main roads, get to talk to locals wherever you are and they will help you no end.

Cheers Colin.
AnswerID: 373561

Reply By: timglobal - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 08:01

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 08:01
Hey Tyron,

You probably know that question is like asking what the best beer is.

Your choice will also diverge depending on your off-road desires and plans. Muds are good on mud and dirt, but often v poor on sand. If lots of sand then get something baggier.

Your choices are roughly:
BF Goodrich
Suggest MT KM2 if you are hitting (>50%) thick stuff. Well-mannered on-road and equivalent of Cooper STT and Mickey-T MTZ
AT T/A otherwise.

Cooper
STT for extended outback, ST otherwise.

Mickey Thompson (made by Cooper)
MTZ for majority thick stuff, ATZ otherwise

Personally I use MTZ, but would be happy with any of the above on my machine for extended outback touring.

The KM2, STT and MTZ bag nicely so can be passable on dry sand. They are excellent on road as they have a softer compound which increases handling on both bitumen and loose surfaces. Wear can be increased, but a longer lasting tyre that's a dog on the terrain you're driving is no economy.

The AT T/A, ST and ATZ are closer to "normal tyres" but you aren't doing normal stuff. They can deteriorate more rapidly on outback roads as they are less chip / gouge resistant.

Bringing over a Pinzgauer is exciting - I trust you have the occupant cooling and 24v vagaries under control.... ;-)

Cheers.
AnswerID: 373562

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:10

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:10
BFG's 265 75 16 or 275 75 16 but the 285's are harder to get in some of the outback tyre places as we found out a couple of years ago. I would also stay away from Coopers if you intend on coming up north where the roads are a lot hotter and they will not honour their waranty.
Enjoy your trip around Oz
AnswerID: 373570

Reply By: png62 - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:37

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:37
Have been driving around on 285/75R16 Cooper STs, they are ok and I have not found them at alll wanting, but I am going back to BFG ATs in the same size next time I need tyres. The Coopers have been "fine" but have chipped badly and I just don't feel comfortable with the amount of chipping for the manner I have used them, I drive conservatively and yet tackle some very difficult terrain. Traction, articulation, diff locks and a take it steady approach and you will amaze the "charge through it" brigade.

The ST pattern is as aggressive as you need if you can "drive" that is, if you adopt the appropriate tyre pressures and driving techniques you really don't need very aggressive tread. If you are going to search out every patch of mud, yes go for something more aggressive. Keep in mind the "Tread lightly" philosophy of touring our backyard and it may remain open for others to continue to enjoy too.

As stated, both the options you are considering have merit and should do well.

Enjoy.
AnswerID: 373574

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:16

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:16
If you want to avoid the chipping problem can I suggest the Cooper ST/Cs they are very similar to the STs but have a different compound that is designed to resist chipping.

I have been averaging about 70,000km from them over the last 4 years. When I first put them on I was living in Broken Hill and doing a fair bit on dirt and off road. I now live in SYdney and unfortunately don't get enough time in the bush but hte ST/Cs are still performning well.

Really I think any of the tyres mentioned in this post would be fine in most places around Oz.

Duncs
FollowupID: 640703

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 11:57

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2009 at 11:57
Because driving habits have a lot to do with overall tyre performance, there are quite a few makes and models that would do nicely I'm sure...... but, I've stayed with BFG AT for years and intend using nothing else for the present. Adjust the pressures as the terrain changes, give them a comfortable run overall and I think you'll be rewarded.
AnswerID: 373581

Reply By: Member - Yogibob - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 07:16

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 07:16
I can only speak from my experience of having used BFG All Terrains. With my last set I got 120K+, at least 50% of which was off the bitumen.

Today I made phone calls for a new set of 265/75/16. Quoted $315 each.
But the tyre companies that I rang said there was NO STOCK IN COUNTRY UNTIL 18 JULY.

Note that the load capacity for the 265 is 1400 lbs and the 285 is 1500 lbs.

If you're not running split rims it's ok to reduce tyre pressure over corrugations. Personally I drop my tyre pressures down to - rear 26 lb front 24lb - on severely corrugated and rough roads and naturally I travel at much lower speeds. My understanding and experience has been that lower tyre pressures and lower speeds on these roads is kinder on the vehicle, the occupants and the tyres.

There will be many different ideas on this subject so please this is what I do and I am not interested in slinging matches of what is right and wrong.

A good person to have a chat to is Adam at the Pink Roadhouse at Oodnadatta. He is a man with a wealth of knowledge on tyres and outback travel.

Cheers
AnswerID: 373707

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 11:56

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 11:56
What's supposed to be wrong with split rims at low pressure? I have had no problem with split rims and tubed tyres running over corrugations and sand at 18 PSI.
Regards Dennis
FollowupID: 640879

Reply By: Member - ross m (WA) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 13:31

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 13:31
How much does the Pinz weigh? I would be looking for an A/T ,the long roads can make you deaf with M/T

Im really beginning to like the Bridgestone light truck D694 235x85x16 I put on my landcruiser ute a few months back.
They are very good in the sand and handle rough roads comfortably,super quiet on the bitumen
They are good for 1400kg
AnswerID: 373748

Reply By: Flywest - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 13:33

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 13:33
People are largely influenced by advertising IMHO.

The co's who spend the most on TV advertising get the most recommendations when it comes time to replace tyres.

It stands to reason - the most people with the most number of tyres get a good groundswell of opinion in favour of them if they are good aor a very poor reputation quickly if they are not.

After more than 30 years of drivingI've had good runs from...

Bridgestone with their Desert Duellers
Goodyear when they had NCT's *Nil Contour Treads*

I've never run Coopers or Mickey T's because we just don't have mud over here like we do sand (with the exception of the Pilbara / Kimberleies in the wet).

Recent years I've switched to Kumhos, for several sets on several vehicles.

I've never been happier.

You don't see anyone on here recommend Kumhos - yet C/km operating costs, they outstrip all the big brand name competitors already mentioned so far.

They are made in Korea (Kumho do have a factory in China also where they make their cheaper lines like Marshalls for example), but most of the big brand name tyres these days also have production in China as well.

http://www.kumho.com.au/

IMHO - you should at least compare prices for comparable tyres with Kumho - they have never let us down - over 3 vehicles and 2 sets of tyres on each in recent years - lots of offriading in the Pilbara during the wet etc, heavy towing, and not even one puncture.

I just think people throw good $ to have the high fashion lable tyres on their vehicle and lots of times they are costing themselves good money for nothing.

Cheers
AnswerID: 373749

Sponsored Links