Melbourne to Birdsville

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 08:10
ThreadID: 70511 Views:8980 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are wanting to travel from Melbourne to Birdsville for the races on the 4th & 5th of Sept. We are leaving on the 29th of Aug. and want to travel via the Strzelecki Track to Innamincka. We are travelling in a 2WD Mitsubishi Triton, towing an off road camper trailer(500kg). Reading a lot of posts here, it seems the road conditions will be suitable to Innamincka, but from there on not to sure which way to go. On the way back, we would like to travel to Tibooburra via Merty Merty, Cameron's Corner. Can anyone please advice if this is suitable, or another alternate route to get to Tibooburra.
Thanks
Leo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 08:59

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 08:59
Hi Leo
Take the Walkers Crossing Track. This is a good track, the last 10 kilometres or so is very slow going out to the Birdsville Track, in general a very easy and good drive providing it is dry. If you take the Cordillo Downs Road, the track will shake your car to pieces. This road has always been a real shocker.

Enjoy the races.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 373715

Reply By: Member - Robert W (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:24

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 09:24
Hi
I did Walkers crossing track two weeks ago from Birdsville and there was quite few soft sandy sections that may be difficult in a 2WD towing a camper.
Also check distance to turn off from Birdsville as the only sign is well back from road.
Regards
Bob
AnswerID: 373720

Reply By: Member - cuffs (SA) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 10:02

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 10:02
Doing a similar trip leaving Adelaide 29th August Birdsville via the Strzelecki then Innamincka via Walkers crossing, Coongie lakes back to Cameron Corner via the Bore track. I will be towing an off road box trailer, driving a 2WD across Walkers Crossing will be a Challenge especially towing.

AnswerID: 373726

Sponsored Links