Camper trailers

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:00
ThreadID: 70535 Views:3178 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Gday,

Well I have finally got the camper trailer decision down to just two. A cape York, or a Kimberley trailer.
Besides the price of the two, there is one thing that i have noticed from the websites. The Kimberley seems to have more storage space because the whole body is above the wheels. But with the Cape York, it would seem that the body is down as low as the wheels. Which creates a wheel arch inside the body, and thus reducing the storage space inside. Basically, it looks like the Kimberley is like a 'tray back' style, and the Cape York is like a 'style side' style.
But like i say, this is only what it seems from the internet pictures. Is there anyone out there that has either one of these campers to confirm my observations?

Thanks in advance,
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ray S (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:14

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:14
John,

Maybe I missed earlier queries, but have you considered an Aussie Swag. I have one and am very pleased with it.
ShorterShots

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 373824

Follow Up By: Member - John S (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:50

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:50
Gday Ray,

I hadn't considered an Aussie Swag. I just had a look at the website, and it too is very impressive. But i think if i add it to my 'short list', then the list could grow again! Thanks for the help, but i think i will stick to the two that i have narrowed down to. I mean at a quick scan of the three, they are very very similar in shape, set up, storage etc.

John
FollowupID: 641039

Follow Up By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 16:36

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 16:36
I second the Aussie Swag. We have one and love it, especially the kitchen set up. Also, they have excellent customer service.
Another feature that swayed us was the awning - on the Aussie Swag it only needs 4 poles & ropes, and can stay attached and pack away with the rest of the canvas.
But, like you say, all 3 are similar in shape, set up etc, and I'm sure you'll be very happy with whatever one you choose.

FollowupID: 641155

Follow Up By: Member - John S (QLD) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 22:10

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 22:10
Hi Leanne,

I noticed you mentioned the kitchen on the aussie swag camper. The one thing that stuck out for me in the pictures is the way it swung back toward the bed. Do you not get the cooking smells embedded in the sleeping quarters with the stove being so close?

John
FollowupID: 641199

Follow Up By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:04

Saturday, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:04
Hi John,

Good question - I have not noticed any smells at all.

The stove has a stainless steel wind guard which covers two sides, plus there is a vinyl 'splashback' which attaches to the camper with velco. Both the windguard and the splashback are very easy to clean - any cooking splatter can be wiped away immediately.

We found the way the kitchen folds around and attaches to the side of the camper useful while we were away recently - we were in northern NSW a few weeks ago, and copped 200mm of rain in 4 days. We had the awning up, plus two end walls, the draught flap and a 'kitchen infill' (which fills in the area between the awning roof and the front kitchen & fridge storage boxes), and could quite happily cook outside without getting wet. I am sure that if the kitchen was one that just pulls out (without folding around to attach back to the camper) we would not have escaped the rain while cooking. Also, when we weren't using the kitchen, we could use the whole area under the awning because the kitchen is tucked neatly beside the camper. We found this useful because we have a 4yo, and the extra room to play was good.

Like I said previously, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever one you choose - they are all good campers.

Leanne

FollowupID: 641233

Follow Up By: Member - John S (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 02:02

Sunday, Jul 12, 2009 at 02:02
Leanne,

Thanks for all your info. And like you say...I will be happy with whatever I decide to get. It's just a bit daunting deciding on something that costs so much!!

John
FollowupID: 641347

Reply By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:32

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 20:32
John, try a visit to myswag.org there are lots of camper owners on that site that may be able to answer you questions.
AnswerID: 373831

Follow Up By: Member - John S (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:51

Thursday, Jul 09, 2009 at 22:51
Thanks for that Cram. Looks like a pretty good place to get some info.

John
FollowupID: 641040

Follow Up By: Member - Sigmund (VIC) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 17:01

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 17:01
Also check out this site and the associated Yahoo group. Lots of info.

My two bobs worth is not to buy unless you can check one out in the flesh. Also to see if you can hire one or one like your main focus.

Designs vary a lot and it's hard to know what will work for you and what will irritate you without some hands-on.

Good luck.
FollowupID: 641158

Follow Up By: Member - John S (QLD) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 22:14

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 22:14
Hi Sigmund,

Yes it is very good advice to 'check it out in the flesh' before you buy. But being up here in Cairns, there seems to be only one manufacturer which is cape york trailers. I have just finished visiting with Ted from there, and have pretty much set on a CYT. like you say, 'in the flesh'. i saw the tent, i saw the kitchen, the independent suspension, the storage boxes, batteries, etc etc.

John
FollowupID: 641201

Reply By: Gronk - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 09:53

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 09:53
Body wise they are very similar....and can only talk on the KK ( I own one )

The wheel arches do intrude into the inside of the KK, but only approx 200mm, and at either side of the bed frame, so do not really take any storage room up..

I have a stainless slideout drawer under the bed which is used for clothes, but if you want to use this space for other types of storage , then delete the drawer to get slightly bigger area..
AnswerID: 373905

Follow Up By: Member - John S (QLD) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 22:18

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 22:18
Thanks for that Gronk,

You info on your KK was invaluable...I think we have just made up our minds on a breed of camper.

John
FollowupID: 641202

Reply By: Taz & Milka (Qbeyan) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 17:26

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 17:26
John,

As with all things in life the selection of a camper trailer is a series of compromises. If time is not pressing then you might consider having a trailer constructed to suit your purposes. For example I have a family that numbers between 5-6 for travelling. We like to carry our motorbikes and we like to go boating so we have a 3.6 mete inflatable and 25hp outboard. I have had a camper trailer built that sleeps 6-8 adults/kids, carries 4 motorbikes ( XR400, CRF230, CRF50 and a 50 quad) and it also carries my inflatable and outboard plus our generator, 2 x 100 ah batteries, 2 x 20 litre and 2 x 10 litre jerries, portable toilet, chairs, tables etc. The compromise is that the trailer is 5 foot wide and weighs just over a ton fully loaded so I have lost a degree of offroad ability in the soft stuff, have no slide out kitchen but I can carry more gear and sleep more people than any other camper I have seen on the market at the relatively cheap price of approx $17 000 and it's low enough to fit in my garage.

Cheers,

Taz
AnswerID: 373966

Follow Up By: Member - John S (QLD) - Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 22:23

Friday, Jul 10, 2009 at 22:23
Taz & Milka,

Thanks so much for the detailed trailer set up you have. And yes you are right...all things in life is a series of compromises. BUT...! There doesnt have to be so much compromise when you are a member of EO and are surrounded by so many wonderful and helpful people like yourselves! :-)

Thanks for your input and for sharing what you got.

John
FollowupID: 641203

Reply By: Member - John S (QLD) - Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 05:59

Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 05:59
Good morning all,

Just wanted to say thank you for all the input on my quanderie. Well i finally made the decision and went for a cape york. The business is family run, and local. I went to the factory and saw how they made these things. Pretty impressive stuff. I take delivery of the trailer around the first week of September.
Thanks again guys, and stay tuned for camping adventures with the new camper!

John
AnswerID: 374270

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 07:28

Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 07:28
Good to see you've made a sound decision.....enjoy your tripping around with your new baby :)

Andrew
FollowupID: 641518

Reply By: Member - John S (QLD) - Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 20:22

Monday, Jul 13, 2009 at 20:22
Thanks Andrew...I'll keep you informed.

John
AnswerID: 374388

Sponsored Links