1st and last duck hunting experience

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 13:22
ThreadID: 7082 Views:1919 Replies:8 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
A work colleague is into duck shooting and the 2000 season was just about ready to begin. He asked if I wanted to go for the weekend up to the riverland Loxton area for a shoot. Never done it before and it appealed to me to try my hand at it I accepted the invitation.

Saturday morning 3 am we (all 14 guests) were awoken by the landowner to hurry up and have breakfast and get going down to the river. We were al divided up into teams and given locations to get to and make our hides.

One 12 ft dingy 4 adults 2 over 6 ft four shotguns 4 bags of ammo 4 backpacks a 3 efin stupid weimaraners.

Arrived at the rivers edge opened the door and the dogs headed for the water and mud!! Loaded up the dingy for a 1 kilometre backwater boat trip to our designated spot. Good thing we had put our waders on I thought cos the dogs were very wet and muddy and in the 12 ft dingy there wasn’t much room.

Off we go up or was that down ?? the river. There we were, Putt, putt, putting along the river on a very cool morning in almost dark conditions. The dogs were not staying still and one of them wandered up to the front and sat on the bow. That was okay until the skipper decided he couldn’t see very well and called his dog back ……dog remained right where he was…skipper cursed and throttled off oooops bow went under… Hey!!!! We’re taking on water, Get back up under speed!!!! ooops the water that was already in the dingy rushed towards the stern as the skipper poured on the throttle . The stern went under and she started sinking…as she was going down… f*%$ I thought we've all got waders on and this aint going to be nice. How deep is it and an in probably less than 15 seconds the boat had stopped moving ….had it hit the bottom already??? As I was still standing in the boat and water was about 2 inches below my chest height waders I sighed with relief.

Yep, boat had stopped moving & we carefully stepped out of the boat and lifted the her up. We managed to remove enough water from to allow her to partially float. Head for the closest shore was the decision. We soon found out it was deeper water that way but too late it had entered our waders…still not too deep though. We were safe but there could have been a tradgedy if it was any deeper. We unloaded the dingy …. By the time we had finished drying the shotguns our tempers had cooled somewhat and the dog was given a pardon……

One wallet and a brand spanking new digital video camera went missing. We believe that the camera bag had just enough air trapped for it to partially float and then sink into the murky depths
Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 16:20

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 16:20
So was it a good or bad experiance ?

Sounds like fun..........reminds me of my younger days !
AnswerID: 30336

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 16:38

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 16:38
People 4 - Ducks - nil

Stick to 4WD-ing is the best advice I can muster up at this moment.

Cheers
JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
AnswerID: 30339

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:42

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:42
I reckon the Ducks won 4 - 0 the shooters didnt even get there.
FollowupID: 21424

Reply By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 17:18

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 17:18
He wasnt been duck shooting in Cairns has he Kev . Once you shoot the duck , you got to fight the crock to get him out of th water .
AnswerID: 30342

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 19:53

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 19:53
.... then negotiate the taipans and death adders taking it back to your truck????

JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
FollowupID: 21394

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 19:56

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 19:56
lmiao , makes a great camp fire story lol
FollowupID: 21395

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:16

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:16
Funny you guys said that,

We used to shoot Magpie geese in season back in Darwin and because we used to hunt around dryed up mud plains we had to keep an eye out for the odd snake hideing in the cracks of the dryed mud.
I don't know what type they were.

Talking about crocs, i was nearly taken by one once...........but thats another story !
FollowupID: 21398

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:32

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:32
we were hunting up north at one of Basils Tin Mines , shot a duck and it fell in the water . My Brother inlaw was with us ( first time up north & a bit of a soft C.... ) We asked him to go fetch the duck , he was in the water when we told him about the crocks . I have never seen anyone run so fast . I failed to tell him that it only held fresh water crocks lol .
Still lmaof

I miss cairns , espesialy the Nest lol
FollowupID: 21401

Reply By: Willie - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 18:35

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 18:35
Feeding the ducks at the park seems far more exciting than your experience, Richard :-))

Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 30350

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:18

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:18
Hi Richard
Sorry you had a bad experience, but its shooters like that
(over loaded boat & never never WADERS in a boat)
that get all shooters a bad name, a bit like 4wding.
34 openings in 37 years, my son started at 12yrs, and some of the our most enjoyable memories are of those great weekends.
There is nothing like the aroma you get when you lift the camp oven lid when roasting ducks.

Cheers Prado TD Auto
AnswerID: 30368

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 08:06

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 08:06
This was not a firearms issue, but I admit it is a boating one. And, Yes! we were very stupid (stronger words come to mind). The experience was meant to give a smile. Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 21571

Reply By: Member - Al Symers (SA) - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:27

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 20:27
Richard, spent one duck opening in horseshoe lagoon (possibly where you were heading) when two lots of city lads decided to shoot where the locals normally shoot. The following arguments bandied around about the city lads being there first and the locals claiming territorial rights and we built those hides etc etc was real funny to watch. Outcome was City lads shoot in hides, local lads surround city lads and scare away any duck who came within cooee.
Big winners were the ducks that day.
Ducks are real safe with me, If it stuck its head up in front of me I'd still miss.Al Symers
AnswerID: 30370

Reply By: joshinthecity - Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:35

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:35
It appealed to you ?
People who kill animals / birds for fun confuse the hell out of me.
If you simply MUST hunt, why not try to kill something that is capable of killing you too?
Wouldn't you feel more fulfilled than by just blasting unsuspecting ducks out of the sky?
Great story.
Whatever.

Josh.
AnswerID: 30396

Follow Up By: Tony - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 07:46

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 07:46
Looks like you had better stick to the City Josh.
FollowupID: 21449

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 07:48

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 07:48
I cant please everyone with all my actions. I reckon it would be the same with you Josh!Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 21451

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 15:33

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 15:33
But Richard, will you do it (try it) again?

Call me a wus (how do yo spell that?) but I once, some 20 years ago, shot a duck while out ahuntin' bunnies. I was getting frustrated that there weren't any Buggs around and it was more a matter of alleviating the boredom with some target practice. I was using a scoped .22 and the duck was a long way off so I had no expectations of hitting it, but I did (a clean head shot from about 300 metres). What a shot! Man, was I chuffed - for about 3 seconds. Then the guilt set in and I still feel like a right bastard about having killed that bird to this day.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
FollowupID: 21486

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 00:26

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 00:26
A flying clean head shot on a duck with a .22 from three hundred metres!

Freestanding as well?

Nice shooting Rohan :-)

That's the shot of a lifetime :-D

...and they reckng us fishermen are bad :-) LOL
FollowupID: 21561

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:02

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:02
No, not free standing :)

Oh, and did I mention it was a really, really small breed of duck - only about .. this big? :)Smile, you're on ExplorOz
FollowupID: 21581

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:36

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:36
still a good shot
only that big eh? no wonder you still feel guilty

Rohan, heard any rumours (or any news) about GTMWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 21587

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:14

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:14
Richard, I might have, if I could figure out what GTM stands for.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
FollowupID: 21591

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:25

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:25
I thought you worked for an Investment Company????
Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 21593

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 12:55

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 12:55
Nope. More an investor (shareholder) database and logistics management business. There's 2 major players in the industry in Oz. So, if you own shares in one of the top 200 listed companies, chances are you receive dividends and other stuff from us or them.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
FollowupID: 21599

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 13:06

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 13:06
Oh!
I thought you might have been in the know.
GTM stands for Giant Reef Mining which is a mining company that I have been recommended to get. Just seeing if I can get info confirmed....I was hoping to be rich by the end of the month hahahaWow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 21600

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 15:17

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 15:17
I had no idea there was a market for giant reefs. :)Smile, you're on ExplorOz
FollowupID: 21613

Follow Up By: Member - Peter - Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 20:48

Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 20:48
Thanks Josh,
I thought for a moment that we were away from the anti-gun/anti-kill fraternity.
It puzzles me when we talk of killing game to eat and someone gets on their soapbox, albeit for only a short time, but they keep oh so very quiet when they tuck into a hamburger or a piece of steak. You will find that when animals are killed by hunters themajority of kills are clean and the animal doesn't suffer. BUT, have a look at the animals destined for slaughter at the abbatoirs. They get the smell of death while waiting in the holding pens and can become quite agitated.
Been there - seen that.
Regards,
Haldo
FollowupID: 21957

Follow Up By: joshinthecity - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 00:22

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 00:22
You're welcome Haldo.
You thought we were away from the anti gun/ anti kill fraternity?
I thought we had come a long way over the last 100 years or so. Obviously not.
For the record, I never said, nor am I, anti-gun. Matter of fact I am a keen shooter myself. I have 2 pistols within 5 metres of where I sit writing this. And am a member of the SSAA.
Anyway, it seems glaringly obvious that my distaste for killing animals for "sport" puts me firmly in the minority here, so I will happily leave you to your discussions.
This is a 4WD forum, and I should have had the good sense to keep my opinions to myself.
'nuff said.
Josh.
FollowupID: 21961

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 16:17

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 16:17
Josh
I too am a member of SSAA
As you are aware, target shooting is only one discipline of their affilated clubs. The disciplines also includes duck hunting.

I gather from the above that you dont fish either?

Wow! am I cute
Richard
FollowupID: 21978

Reply By: bruce - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:47

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:47
WADERS ...in a boat ! any wonder people get drowned...may as well tie an anchor round your ankles...I am a very good swimmer and dont like wearing anything much on my feet in the boat let alone ...wearing waders !
AnswerID: 30429

Sponsored Links