Advise on a 4WD

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:15
ThreadID: 7094 Views:1722 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I would like some advise on the type of four-wheel drive to buy. I’ve got a company car Falcon to do most of the boat towing ( Boat) and I am in need of a car for the wife and family. The Four-wheel drive needs to be fixable requiring towing the boat and horse float on the odd occasion, have extra seats to cart the family and friends around, and the odd off road along the beach up the coast, dirt trail to a trout stream, and family trips in the state forests.
I’ve always had my heart set on a GXL Toyota 80 or 100 series but now have the opportunity to purchase a Patrol Ti 1999 model 92,000km on the clock for $32,000 from a relative. It’s in good condition drives well although it does not seem to have the go that a friend’s GXL 100’s got. The front left hand tyre is scrubbing on the out side is this just an alignment fix or a problem with the Nissans?
The vehicle will only do around 10,000km per year so a diesel really isn’t a consideration and I know they are poor on fual at 20/100 plus.
The tyres seem to be a road style rather then a all terian type. Don't remember the brand but will these be OK for sand work?
Anyway I would love to hear any advise that’s out there.
Regards Dennis
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:32

Sunday, Sep 07, 2003 at 22:32
The Ti is on the money for $32,000 , 32 k is its trade in value , If the vehicle hasnt been in a accident then you will find that a wheel alighment will fix the scrubbing problem . I see you dilema with Ti or 100 , for the money that you are paying for the Ti ( witch comes with everything ) you will only get a GXL base in the Landcruiser . I think the Landcruiser 4.5 petrol is a little more steady on the road and a little more powerfull than the Nissan . The Nissan is a little lighter and for some reason seams to tow a little better ( in my opinion lol ) than the Landcruiser . The Nissan also comes with 2 CD players , sun roof , leather ect ect ect . My guess is drive both and see what you feel more comfortable in .

Some all terrains will see you trough most tracks & sand , since it dosnt sound like your gong to do anything to wild .

make sure that the car has been maintained properly , if your friend is not the first owner , get a panel beater to stick his nose in and make sure all is where it should be . an a local mechanic to do the same thing

AnswerID: 30394

Reply By: Sparky - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 07:18

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 07:18
As a guide on pricing, check out redbook.com.au - always worth a look when purchasing a car. Gives trade and private sale price guides.

Cheers and good luck!

Sparky
AnswerID: 30413

Reply By: Rhubarb - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:35

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:35
Road biased tyres are generally best for sand work. This is because they don't dig in for traction - which means your 4by has to work a lot harder to push the sand out of the way. Road biased tyres will 'float' across the sand.

All terrians would no doubt be the best way to go.
AnswerID: 30431

Follow Up By: Member - Sparky (Brisvegas) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 12:02

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 12:02
And drive with low pressure in your tyres - 18 - 25 in soft sand...too easy!Lovin' life!
FollowupID: 21476

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:19

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:19
Left hand tyre problem is common. You'll have to get steering modified to do wheel alignment costs about $400 but it's the only fix as the camber is not adgustable without fix. If you are in Sydney ring Pro Axle at Narrelan they did mine & it's ok now. Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 30455

Reply By: the shed guy - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 17:44

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 17:44
if you only do few km's and want something that drives nice when you do, as well as plenty of grunt for towing,the V8 100 is a very nice vehicle, and well worth the extra, especially in resale.

The 4.5 GXL 100 is also a nice vehicle to drive, in the live axle, and if you buy the nissan, and drive a 100 later, you will wish you got what you wanted rather than what "appeared"
AnswerID: 30472

Reply By: ross - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 18:01

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 18:01
For 10k a year it wont make much difference. You can see why the Toyota commands a higher price although the Nissan is still a competant performer.It really is one of those 6 of one or 1/2 a dozen of the other situations.One thing that might sway me is that when it comes time to sell ,the low klm Landcruiser will probably be the one that retains its value the best over 3-4 years.
The tyres wil be ok in the sand if you deflate them to about 18psi although off road tyres of a particular tread will work better.If you want to do this kind of work often ,correct tyres and a compressor is essential.Plenty of inexperienced drivers get stuck on the beach with an incoming tide.
AnswerID: 30473

Reply By: tristjo - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 23:37

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 23:37
Dennis,

Having recently bought a 4.5ltr GU Patrol for a friend, a would have to dissagree with your comments re the performance. The vehicle I drove had more than enough power, and was very fast once you sunk the boot. It easily picked up the rear tyres, even on dry bitumen, from a standing start.

As for resale value, if you intend on keeping the vehicle for a few years, the fact that the Patrol has such a low purchase price would outweigh any resale value benifits the Toyota may hold.

The Patrol is an extremely robust and reliable vehicle, but is still very comfortable on the blacktop. It would tow 2-2.5 tonnes with ease, and would take you almost anywhere you wanted to go offroad.

Highway type tread patterns do perfom very well in sand, but won't have the wear life of an all or mud terrain tyre.

The Patrol is a great vehicle, and I doubt you would be disapointed with such a vehicle.

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 30531

Reply By: Dennis - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 21:43

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 21:43
Hi All,
Thanks for the replys and advise, I'll keep you all posted on the direction I'll go.
Once again thankyou.
Kind Regards
Dennis
AnswerID: 30724

Sponsored Links