Nissan X-trail - Subaru

Submitted: Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:56
ThreadID: 7099 Views:4718 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
As a follow up to 'Jimbo's post - ID 7064'

I am not able to comment on the ability of X-trail, but there was some doubt by others as to whether Subarus actually do go 'off road'.
Obviously smaller 4WD's are not for everyone, but a lot would be surprised as to their 'off road' ability. The only mods I have found neccessary for the Subaru are - sump guard (for newer models), A/T tyres, stiffer springs. We carry all the 'normal' stuff - spares, frig, fuel, cooking & camp gear etc etc.

Below is a link to a few trip photos
Rudal R NP - from the West !! 1997
CSR - from Jigalong !! to Durba, Calvert R, Carnarvon R. 2001
Coffin Bay NP. 2002

Subarus off road
Subaru Forester
size isn't everything !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 12:08

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 12:08
Previous link was wrong ? - try this one.

Subarus off road
Subaru Forester
size isn't everything !
AnswerID: 30434

Follow Up By: Tony - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 12:21

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 12:21
Size mighn't be everything but it helps.
FollowupID: 21477

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 14:06

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 14:06
Subies can DEFINITLY go off road, especially the earlier dual range ones. Contact any state Subaru 4WD club for more info.

So far I haven't heard of a X-Trail club, and I somehow don't think that I ever will......
FollowupID: 21480

Follow Up By: Tony - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 07:55

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 07:55
Isn't it funny that small people with small things have visions of grandure.
FollowupID: 21570

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 22:02

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 22:02
Tony,

you need to mature, the size of your truck has no relation to the size of your manhood. Also your command of the English language needs to improve, you meant "delusions of grandeur", something, of which, you clearly have experienced.

Grow up and understand that different people have different needs. Otherwise why would the Datsun 120Y have been such a success? It's horses for courses son, your cup of tea is someone else's toilet cleaner, and vice versa (that's Latin).

GaryInOz, your infantile ramblimgs aren't much better.

Colin, I'm sure you understand.

Frustrated,

Jim.
FollowupID: 22312

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:01

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:01
Nobody serious about going offroad would buy an Xtrail..

there isnt even a bullbar available for them to take a winch, or any useful accessory.. Good luck fitting dual battery to one !
AnswerID: 30450

Follow Up By: tristjo - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 23:23

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 23:23
The reason why there are no accesories for the X-Trails is because there is no demand for them, as no one takes them offroad.

hmmmm, i wonder why they still make gear for the Cruisers and Prado's and the like?? Looks to me as if their not taken offroad either. Wankers.
FollowupID: 21551

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 23:25

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 23:25
Same as HRV, CRV Hyuandi etc

Not really built for going offroad.
FollowupID: 21552

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:43

Monday, Sep 08, 2003 at 16:43
I had a Subie tag along with me along the old track into Jim Jim Falls NT(1979) and in those days the track was rough(before National Parks got in and destroyed everything). It got past Jim Jim and on to Twin Falls without assistance. Driver skills and a lift kit were helpful. Don't know about the late model ones however.

Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 30460

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:37

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:37
Willie,

I like this comment ") and in those days the track was rough(before National Parks got in and destroyed everything). "

I just got back from Cape Melville, I had been there before and the place was wild and beautiful, this time aroud though, "National Parks have got in and destroyed everything".....
I hope they don't destroy anything else....
Will
FollowupID: 21588

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:45

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:45
Tony posted this followup - (FollowupID: 21570)
"Isn't it funny that small people with small things have visions of grandure."

I have found Tony's comment to be true as well !
But Tony, you shouldn't admit to your personal inadequacies on a public forum!

I don't have visions of grandure - I enjoy the Subaru because it is compact, cheap to run and maintain, and it takes me everywhere I want to go in comfort (did you look at the photos and their locations - jealous I bet ?)

Subaru Forester
size isn't everything !
AnswerID: 30563

Follow Up By: Tony - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 13:37

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2003 at 13:37
I don't think so COLIN, done the CSR full length by the way and if you feel that the little things in your life do the job well and good.

If you want to do a decent trip in your area, and don't mind the inadequanies of your vehicle you are quite welcome to follow me on my next trip to the High Country.
FollowupID: 21603

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:49

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003 at 10:49
Tony
I don't see this as a competition !
The thing that gets on my goat is unfounded criticism - like everything else, your car selection is a personal choice.

All vehicles have their good and bad points. I have driven Troopies in Central Aust. and in the Pilbara (field work) and I certainly wouldn't put a Subaru in those situations - why would I ? I dont use the car to 'conquer' the environment, but to just get in there an enjoy it - the 4WD challenge is a bonus.

It's a pity the WA Subaru Club doesn't have many pics on their Web site! The WA club is exclusively for Subarus (I think the Qld Club is to ?) and doesn't have 'real 4WD's' along to 'get them out of trouble'!

Thanks for the invite to the High Country - I havent been to any of that area. We intend looking at Tom Groggin/Cobberas this spring.

Have you been to Bendethera Valley NSW(Deua NP) ? We did the 'ridge circiut' a couple of weeks ago - via Mongamula FT. Spectacular views and the tracks are in good nick - from 1200m down to 200m, like being on a roller coaster!
FollowupID: 21687

Reply By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 22:08

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 22:08
Tony,

you need to mature, the size of your truck has no relation to the size of your manhood. Also your command of the English language needs to improve, you meant "delusions of grandeur", something, of which, you clearly have experienced.

Grow up and understand that different people have different needs. Otherwise why would the Datsun 120Y have been such a success? It's horses for courses son, your cup of tea is someone else's toilet cleaner, and vice versa (that's Latin).

GaryInOz, your infantile ramblimgs aren't much better.

Colin, I'm sure you understand.

Frustrated,

Jim.
AnswerID: 31371

Reply By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 22:18

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 22:18
Tony,

You are a sick puppie. People have different desires in life. That not everyone wants the same out of life is their choice. Be happy, be pleased you don't have any life threating disease, and get on with it. There are better things in life to argue about than your choice of motor vehicle. Catch on to what Colin is saying. This is not a contest.

Time alive is precious. (Note I am as fit as an overfed Trout).

Jim.
AnswerID: 31372

Reply By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 22:26

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 22:26
Truckster doesn't understand either.

I'll say it one more time

DIFFERENT PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT NEEDS.

Blokes driving HSV's etc laugh at YOU, and you can't understand why they condescend, so why do you? Those poor bastards have a poor outlook on life, as do you. LIVE AND LET LIVE.

I've had enough of this nonsense.

JIm

AnswerID: 31373

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 08:35

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 08:35
Jimbo,

So have we.....

My statement is, at this time, a statement of fact. There are NO X-Trail clubs registered with Four Wheel Drive Victoria or the ANFWDC.

There have been Subaru 4WD clubs in most if not all states for the last twenty years. Some Victorian Club trips have been to Birdsville/ Corner Country/ Simpson Desert/ Victorian High Plains to name a few. I personally have forded rivers windscreen height, and had it in mud halfway up the doors (leave your email address and I will scan and foward the photos to prove it) My old Subie surprised quite a few larger vehicle owners with what the Subie can do.

I now have a larger "proper" 4WD, and will never lose respect for what the trusty old Subies are capable of. I quite honestly can't see any X-trail having the wheel articulation, clearance, or body strength that the Subaru's have, and as far as modest water crossings go, you would do better in an old XD Falcon Ute than the X-Trail (Ford will take mid radiator level rivers no sweat, X-Trail will hydraulic the engine at bumper level (4X4 Australia, Oct 2003, pp29)).
FollowupID: 22321

Sponsored Links