Trip to Mungerannie

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 713 Views:1513 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Doing a quick trip to Mungerannie from Sydney - I am trying to work out schedule - Day 1 Broken Hill -- Day 2 Leigh Creek via Peterborough -- Day 3 Mungerannie - Is this plan feasible
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Monday, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:00
Yes, feasible but tiring!
AnswerID: 1947

Reply By: MARK C, SYDNEY - Monday, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:00

Peter I reckon the worst leg of that trip would be Syd to B/hill, the other two legs are very feasable.
AnswerID: 1949

Reply By: Mike- Monday, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:00

Peter, yes you can do it, but not only will the trip be extremely tiring, you will miss the point completely. If you just want to do the trip so you can say you have been there, fine. But if you want to experiece the beautifull areas you will be travelling, then slow down and take a look around. You will be passing through, or past, some truly magnificent areas,such as the Flinders and lower Birdsville Track. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 1951

Follow Up By: Peter Conacher - Monday, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks for your help -- Will do Broken Hill in 2 days -- In May any idea on the water crossings south of Mungerannie? Is a snorkel necessary?
FollowupID: 671

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:00
Peter, in normal conditions you can travel these roads in a commodore. If it is a little wet, 4WD is necessary as it can be quite slippery. If it is very wet, the track will be closed. The Flinders are the same, though they don't tend to get as slippery, as the roads are more rocky.Ideally take a couple of nights in the Flinders, where you will find some magnificent sights as well as easy to moderate 4WD tracks. The trip to Mungerannie is still a good days travel and could include a stop at the Prarie hotel at Parachilna, where you will get a feed you won't believe, and a stop at the Liegh Creek coalfield lookout. You could also break this trip with a stop at Copley caravan park, with its clean amenities, comfortable cabins and good camp kitchen, or bush camping at the beautiful and secluded Clayton wetlands. There are loads of things to see just off the road,which is where 4WD comes in. You shouldn't need a snorkel for any of these sights, as if it's that wet, the track will be closed. Now if you are travelling that far, then I could tell you that the magic Birdsville is an easy days drive north of Mungerannie, on similar roads, but thats another story. Sorry for the travelogue, but as you can possibly tell, I love that part of the country and take every chance I can, to get there and see as much as I can fit in any trip. Happy trails, Mike
AnswerID: 1960

Sponsored Links