Garig Gunak Barlu NP (Gurig NP)

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 14:02
ThreadID: 7173 Views:2534 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
In June 2003 bob_h (Brisbane) wrote:

I'm heading off to Garig Gunak Barlu NP on Cobourg Peninsula next week.
Can anyone give up to date track details or any other advice?
TIA
Bob

I'm into the early stages of planning a similar trip next August and, if bob_h reads this, would appreciate feedback on his trip. And would welcome any information from others who have been there.

Cheers
Kevin - sitting here, thinking of there
------------------------------------------
2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD
2000 15' Supreme Getaway
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 22:55

Thursday, Sep 11, 2003 at 22:55
Hi Kevin,
Although our visit to Gurig was some time ago very little has changed in the ensuing years, apart from access requirements and costs. Go to my website www.kempen.id.au and click on 4x4 and then on Cobourg Peninsula. Might give you some idea.
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 30833

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 07:34

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 07:34
Track conditions rearly change from rough,corrogated, bits of sand & washouts, oh and the road can be flooded in the swampy region.

Other wise a top trip, allow a full day from the "tidal" crossing, and wait for low tide ie. no water goin gover the causeway. Good place to through a line in while you wait, just watch out for crocs.

The best meeting place at Coburg is the wharf at sunset for a fishing session, and take the boat trip down to Port Essington (?) Victoria Settlement.
AnswerID: 30847

Follow Up By: Hardy - Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 18:07

Friday, Sep 12, 2003 at 18:07
Bad news about the wharf. It was condemed some time ago. No access permitted. Spotilte around the rocks for crayfish. Take a hand spear and glove. A good spotlite will show up thier eyes as orange. I recomend taking a fridge as ice is v expensive as is fuel. Cheers Hardy
FollowupID: 21890

Reply By: bob_h (Brisbane) - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 20:48

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 20:48
Hi Kevin, just saw your post- I may miss you before you leave.
We had a good trip, no problems. Cahill's Crossing was a non-event on the way up, about 50mm!! On the way back, the tide was on the way out, indicated 700mm at the marker, very fast, but it dropped to about 400mm within half an hour, making this crossing easy.
The road was good, only problem was on the way back near Murganella, a Road Train was blocking the middle of the (narrow) road- he was busy having morning tea, and had NO intention of moving for at least half an hour! Pity- if he'd stopped another km further on he would have been in the shade, and not blocked the track.
Trip from Cahill's Crossing to Black Point took about 4 and a half hours' driving, a few rough patches.
We camped at Camp Ground No.2, which is the designated generator area. It was quite peaceful, we didn't hear any generator noise. The beaches are serene,especially at sunrise, a few crocs around the creeks and inlets. Unfortunately I didn't even get a bite in the three days I spent in my brother in law's tinny, but others got amongst the snapper.
Don't miss the boat trip to Victoria Settlement.
Fuel at the store was $1.70 diesel, $1.75 ULP, and the other staple of life, the Pauls Drumstick set us back $4.50. But DO support the local business!
The rangers are great guys, and very knowledgeable.
If you wish to post your email address I can send you some photos.
Have a great trip
Bob_h
AnswerID: 31024

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:03

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:03
Thanks for the reply bob_h. You haven't missed me as the trip is planned for August 2004. I would love to see the photos. Email is kevin.phillips@transact.com.au.

Many thanks
Kevin - sitting here, thinking of there
------------------------------------------
2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD
2000 15' Supreme Getaway
FollowupID: 22038

Reply By: Diesel Do - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 17:17

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 17:17
Kevin,
We towed a 4.6m tinny up there from Adelaide last year (98 GU 2.8 tdi). Road to Black Point had some corrugations then, but not too bad. Found that the tracks inside the campground (from camp ground 2 to the boat ramp) had horrible corrugations at that time (only about 2K, but a real rattler) exaggerated by the slow speed limit (30K/h from memory). Standard fuel tanks on the truck would have just about made the round trip (to-from Jabiru), but we took some jerries as well.
Barely got the tyres wet at Cahill's. We camped at Merl for a couple of days before our permit started and made sure that we timed it right, then we packed and left Gurig in time to meet the low tide for the return crossing.
Only hassle we had at Cobourg was drinking/cooking water. At that time (late June)there was a pretty bad shortage. We took 40 litres with us.
Spent most days out on the water, and had reasonable results. Got a largish spanish mackerel outside the harbour. Didn't have much luck with shore based fishing. Fair numbers of sharks, but didn't see any sign of crocs in Port Essington.
The mozzies were the worst we experienced in 7 weeks across the top, and the campground was very good - campground 2 is better than campground 1 in our opinion - generators and all.
There were a few wild pigs snuffling around at night, and heaps of wildlife all over.
Some campers decided to have a fireworks night one evening, skyrockets and bungers, the whole works - bizarre - why would you?
I was told that a week or so after we left, there was a death in the aboriginal community, and access was closed for several days. The campers who were already there had to stay on, and no one else could get in. I haven't verified this, but if it does happen it could make a big difference to your catering plans. (We ate fish anyway :-) Buy any grog you might want before you enter Kakadu - you can't buy it at Jabiru. Don't ask how I found that out.

Car and trailer had no problems.
Got photos and more info if you're interested.

Have fun.
AnswerID: 31686

Sponsored Links