diesel fuel

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 13, 2003 at 21:40
ThreadID: 7213 Views:1836 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Is there much difference in fuel quality between distributers.If so which distributers do you recomend,and who should be avoided. My friend swears by BP ,I understand there are variables and am looking for distributers who consistantly supply best available quality fuel .Thanks Chad.turnin dreams
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 10:52

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 10:52
Personally just go with Brand servos, not the DISCOUNT DODGEY DIESEL places, or Safeway, etc.

I just use Mobil, Shell, and BP...
AnswerID: 30985

Follow Up By: duncs - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 12:06

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 12:06
I'll go along with you on this onbe Truckster. The DODGEY DISCOUNT DIESEL proves very expensive in the long run. Look for the factory oulets and you are usually OK.

Buying fuel is a bit like buying takeaway food, if the shop is clean and tidy the product usually is to, if the shop is dirty and run down then I won't shop there, for food or fuel.

Duncs
FollowupID: 21972

Follow Up By: BJ42turbo - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 18:37

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 18:37
Me same.......Dazz
FollowupID: 21985

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 15:29

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 15:29
Hi Chad.
A lot of the fuel companys these days (depending on states) get their fuel from one or two different refinerys. Eg, BP in NSW get their fuel from Shell at Parramatta. A lot of independants get their fuel from who ever is the cheapest on the day. This could be either a refinery in Australia or from storage facilities who import the refined product from overseas. I am in the petrolium transport industry and quite oftern with one particular independent you will deliver 7 loads a week each being picked up from 5 different places, some even from interstate.
In the long run just because the service station is a BP, SHELL, MOBIL, ect it does not mean that it uses its own brand of fuel, some do some don't .
Cheers Geoff.
AnswerID: 30996

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 19:40

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 19:40
The problem is cheap fuel being imported from O/S EG China etc. That is one of the things they were talking about on the newz the othe rnight .

Its not the fact that Shell are using BP etc, its the fact that Lucky Fats are using China IMport fuel...
FollowupID: 21997

Reply By: GOB member vic - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 16:03

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 16:03
goodday chad read the answers they all seem good but i was told when i got my deisel "go where the truckies go" touch wood have had no problems so far
steve
AnswerID: 30999

Follow Up By: Harry - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 21:16

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 21:16
I have used BP for 8yrs, Caltex for about 4 yrs before that.
The Caltex is very clean, the BP is said to be Mobil anyway, and that is supposed to be the best fuel around. I agree with Steve, go where the truckies get their fuel. When out and about the depots are usually the cheapest anyway.
Just make sure you change your filters regularly.
The other comment I'll agree with, if the place is dirty on the outside then move on.
Ask the trucks when your on the road, and they'll soon tell you what's good and what's not.
Have a good one
FollowupID: 22011

Reply By: mcgra - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 22:02

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 22:02
all fair comments, butdont forget to use fuel additives to keep the system clean.
ejectors from gummimg up and stop algae.

if u see diesels at the pump when u pass then u can bet they have a good turn over of tankers.

safe way and coles are pretty much the same heard they come from the same source anyway.

gra
AnswerID: 31038

Reply By: David N. - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 22:37

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 22:37
I have bought some seriously "dud" fuel a couple of times over the years- thankfully usually discovered before any harm is done- although a couple of times have noticed excessive smoke/lack of power and had to drain the tank. I've twice stopped pumping fuel after a couple of litres due strange smells as the fuel goes in.
Having said that, I stick to major operators and avoid anyone who undercuts the opposition by a ridiculous margain...
I believe Woolies/Safeway to be as safe as anywhere- such a major corporation could not afford one hint of bad publicity re the fuel they sell- it is a very big part of their market campaign. How much dough do you spend a week on groceries? The fuel part is small change by comparison- if I'm not on a major trip.
I've done several major trips on Woolies diesel and have never had a hint of a problem on their fuel- I firmly believe it's as safe as anywhere.
AnswerID: 31041

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 22:43

Sunday, Sep 14, 2003 at 22:43
Gee who does this sound like?

They are a large corperation adn would be more inclined to be trying to save $ and kill off the competitor...
FollowupID: 22019

Follow Up By: David N. - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:43

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:43
Exactly my point... If Woolies copped bad publicity due bad fuel then ColesMyer (and Shell) would laugh all the way to the bank...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not coming out in favour of the large companies vs the little guy. It's just that every time I've had suspicious or bad fuel it HAS been the little guy, I'm sad to say. So once bitten, twice shy.
Cheers
FollowupID: 22037

Reply By: gumagoo93 - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 14:36

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 14:36
Don't be misled by "brands" such as Shell, Mobil ect.....that doesn't mean anything when you get out of town....you fuel could be coming from anywhere....just because it say whatever, doesn't mean it hasn't been tampered with or is good quality ect....I worked in the oil industry delivering fuel for over 10 years and I have seen some very odd things being put into underground tanks....you can't count on brand names, for instance, we live in the NT (rural Darwin), and I always bought Shell fuel since moving up here....silly me!!!.....I thought that I was getting the good stuff.....I discovered that this fuel comes from Singapore....should have twigged when I didn't see and OPTIMAX bowsers at any of the Shell outlets in Darwin or anywhere that I been to in the territory....have switched to the "supermarket "(Woolies) brand...if there was a problem with the fuel, it would be too costly for them in terms of bad publicity and loss of custom from the grocery side....I certainly wouldn't buying any goods from them if their fuel caused me problems...we run diesel and petrol engine vehiocles on their fuel...so far, no problems....i'll get off the soapbox now...cheers all...Don
AnswerID: 31090

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 17:44

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 17:44
Iv'e noticed recently ( in Sydney anyway ) signs at servo's sawing only so & so fuel sold here & on recent Gulf trip lots of places had fuel company test results on promenent display. As for me i try to use Ampol/ Caltex as i have been using it in my truck fleet for 17 yrs only got bad fuel twice so if available that's what i buy.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 31116

Reply By: Peter L - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:28

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:28
As far as I'm aware there are only two refineries in each of Melb, Syd & Bris.
I believe the "Majors" obtain fuel from one or other of these.
The only other source is imported fuel which may have been OK when refined but has been transferred through numerous storages/ships etc.with the possible contamination that that involves, but let us not forget that fuel degrades with age.
As posted above it is best to buy from servos with high turnover (the fuel will be fresh) but if there is a tanker dropping fuel forget it, as the drop stirs up all the sediment & water from the bottom of the holding tank.
AnswerID: 31215

Follow Up By: chad.vic - Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 19:35

Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003 at 19:35
Thanks to all for your replies. Looks like brand servos with high turnover plus a dash of addative and a slice of luck.Cheers Rickturnin dreams
FollowupID: 22300

Sponsored Links