Suggestions for long range fuel tank

Submitted: Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:09
ThreadID: 7233 Views:2181 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

My partner and I are going to Cape York next year in July and need to put in a long range fuel tank. We have a 1989 Nissan Patrol GQ (diesel) with just the standard fuel tank and it has been suggested to us to try and find a petrol tank from a LPG converted GQ and convert it for the long range tank. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or actually done this to thier patrol?

Thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Catherine.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:21

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:21
I actually have a fuel tank from a GQ dual fuel which is mounted under the drivers seat which holds 65litres.... That is what they use... It is for sale of course....

Regards...._____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Catherine - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:23

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:23
Voxson....

We are coming to adelaide in a few weeks, how much do you want for the fuel tank? we would be interested in taking it off your hands, if for the right price!

Cheers.

Catherine.
FollowupID: 22043

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:23

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:23
It sounds like a great Idea, and in "the good old days" I have done just that!
But with the laws about these days and the insurance companies using any excuse to get out of paying claims I would think twice about home made tanks, even though with diesel you are pretty safe,you need to weigh up the legal and financial risks!

My 2¢ worth
Brian
AnswerID: 31076

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 14:01

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 14:01
I believe the tank is made by Brown Davis..._____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Catherine - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 14:17

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 14:17
You mentioned that it was for sale.... what price are you selling it for? We are definately interested in taking it off your hands.

Cheers.

Catherine.
FollowupID: 22054

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:11

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:11
I checked it out tonight and it has a split in the bottom seam.... I had a price to get it welded here in adelaide $140........if you are going to rely on it to get to cape york you may be in trouble with it splitting again... the corrugations are killer for belly tanks .........
You wont need another tank to get to Cape York, i cant quite remember but the biggest distance is only 400k's or so... check it out.._____________________________________________

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 17:46

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 17:46
I had a brown Davis tank and it was bleep and their service was about as existant as the Loch Ness Monster. Soon as I mentioned I got it from someone in the Nissan club, they basically said "bad luck"...

You would be talking about the belly tank from an LPG GQ? They are either 40 or 75ltr,. You can either run it as an Aux tank, or a 'jerry can', and just pump it into the main as required. Stadndard tank in GQ Diesel is 95ltr.

You can find the tanks they are harder to find than a normal 147ltr LRT, but for all the cost, dual filler neck, the hose to the tank from filler neck ($80 a mtr you will need 2mtr), fuel pump etc, you can get a Longranger tank for around $700 BRAND NEW. Less hassles, and easier to go with.

YMMV>
AnswerID: 31117

Reply By: ToyMotor - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 19:51

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 19:51
I wouldn't have thought that a trip to the Cape required a long range tank! Fuel is available all over the place - the Shell at Bamaga even takes fuel cards, I only paid $1 a litre there last year too. I think Coen was about the dearest on the whole trip from Adelaide.

Cheers
AnswerID: 31149

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:06

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:06
Innamincka was the dearest by far from adelaide...... if you went that way.._____________________________________________

Reply By: duncs - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:07

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:07
I think Toy motor is right, I did the Cape in an 89 GQ Diesel with a trailer back in 99. We carried a couple of jerry cans but only used them because I had them. Fuel in Weipa was, at the time, on a par with Sydney prices and the distances are not that great.

However, if you can get a decent tank at the right price I'd go for it.

Truckster, what problems did you have with the Browne Davis, I have only heard that they are OK before.

Duncs
AnswerID: 31155

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 23:24

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 23:24
It cost me $600 to find out that the thing was phukt.

The baffle design in side was all fubar, I sold it yesterday for $400 cut my loss'...

called BD they didnt want to know.
FollowupID: 22131

Reply By: Hendo - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:12

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:12
Catherine

We went to the tip last year, 89 GQ diesel, towing offroad camper trailer, and we did it on a standard tank, no worries. Our consumption was 16 plus litres/100. If you carry one or two jerries of diesel as a backup, you will probably not even use them. Diesel can be bought everywhere, and the distances between fills are not great.

My experience off road has been it has only been the non standard or modified bits on the old truck that have given trouble. I'd leave the standard tank in, and save your money and energy for other things that you can use all the year round.

The Cape is a fantastic trip, and we can't wait to get back there.

Hendo
AnswerID: 31175

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:22

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 22:22
Work out your likely consumption by checking the "fuel consumption" thread in the Trip Planning link above. Check the distances on your map and plan your fuel stops, just because your going a long way doesn't mean you have to take all your fuel from home, you will find plenty of fuel stops. If you are in doubt about enough fuel for a particular section, carry a couple of jerry cans on top or somewhere, fill them only when you think you need the extra fuel and empty them into the tank as soon as it gets low enough. A couple of jerry cans could get you an extra 300 klm and cost $50.oo to buy. Pamper y'self with the extra dough in y' pocket.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 31178

Follow Up By: Catherine - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 08:57

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 08:57
Hi all, and thanks everyone for the advise.

We are looking at putting long range tank in for future as we intend to do some fairly large trips in the next few years, and figured that since we are spending so much money to get the GQ up to scratch, why not spend a bit more and put the L.R tank in at the same time!. (need snorkel and a few other accessories like that)

We have been told that we only need fuel enough to get 400 - 500 km between distances, but do not intend to pay a fortune to get fuel up there!

Will keep all your ideas and suggestions in mind!

Thanks heaps.

Catherine.
FollowupID: 22156

Sponsored Links