Dual batteries for Kia Sportage

Submitted: Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 16:03
ThreadID: 7243 Views:4159 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

A mate of mine has a Kia Sportage, is it possible to get a dual battery system for it?

Cheers Red Rover
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 16:20

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 16:20
You can make a dual battery system for anything . . . . but . . . from memory . . . there's bugger all room under the hood to fit one . . . . ?????
AnswerID: 31096

Reply By: Mick - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 17:14

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 17:14
But in the right container a battery can be put elsewhere.
AnswerID: 31108

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 18:02

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 18:02
There is/was a bloke in the Sydney Nissan club with a Sportage, that he was doing some serious stuff to, could be worth contacting them.

You could put one inside the car in rear cargo area.
AnswerID: 31123

Reply By: Gary Campbell - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 18:38

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 18:38
Yes, It can be done. I believe Pirahna make a system that allows a second battery to be fitted in a cradle beside the intake manifold with a bit of juggling of the other plumbing in that area. Another option would be to run two smaller sealed batteries where the are presently located. Fabricate a heat shield to fit above where the catalytic converter is now to reduce the radiated heat hitting the batteries (this is why even the well considered Yasua Batteries fitted as standard to the Kia's dont last all that long in them). You should be able to fit two of the smaller Optimas or Odyssey batteries on their side quite easily. While you are there, change the earth and positive leads to a heavier guage wire as they are prone to a bit of corrosion/vibration damage.Some sites of interest for your mate:OzKia A friend of mine in QLD (My vehicle is in 'Visitors Pics', Gary)4x4Wire Kia Sportage forum from a US site. Good mechanical/modification info.Kia USA site with some mechanical exploded diagrams of major components.I trust you have learned not to knock the little Sportages???
AnswerID: 31129

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:56

Monday, Sep 15, 2003 at 20:56
If you get an Optima battery, or a sealed lead acid, you can install it inside the cabin provided it is well strapped down. Just make sure the cabling is of sufficient amperage, and that both ends have fuses.Bob
AnswerID: 31165

Sponsored Links